Clearing up rumors on commercial leasing in The Village

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Most people who go into a business of their own may be doing it in part, to satisfy their ego.

But along with their ego trip, the main criteria for doing so is the almighty dollar.
Being successful pads their ego and fills their pockets -- the more, the better.

Yes, the developers have done and are doing and will continue to do -- more developing.
Why not? They have a good product and a captive audience in the form of ongoing retirees.
And you "suspect" it isn't about money??? Surely, you can't believe that!

They most certainly aren't doing it for the betterment of mankind.
It definitely is about the money!
So, what's wrong with that?
Old 07-24-2017, 03:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Gary. You seem bitter. Of course it is about the money. All successful businesses work on margins. In my whole life of almost eighty years I have not seen a successful business say....I have made enough money, I will continue running this but take no profit.

I suspect at this point that continuing to build is about something else. The Morses are investing a considerable amount of money in acquiring and developing the new areas. I would guess they could have watched that money and been able to maintain a very, VERY good lifestyle for several hundred years for ALL of them and their descendants.

It may be power. It may be risk taking. It may be showing a belief that a private business can do better than a government agency in building and running a small city. It may be building a legacy. It may be their jab at leaving a lasting chapter in history...or it could be about the money.
NO Not Bitter at all. Just the facts. I have been around long enough to see how things work. I grew up in this area. Work in this area, wife works in this area.
Just dont understand why some folks get pulled into the trance of it is just a myth of how things go.

Power and Money Michael Douglas said in the movie Wall Street 2, Money Never SLeeps. Greed is good.

Nothing wrong at all with it, as long as you admit to it. Do not hide and act like you have no idea.

As long as you build it, they will come. Greed that is.

And as always,, JMOP
Old 07-24-2017, 03:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
They know what they are going to pay before they sign the lease so how can they leave because the rent is too high? They knew the amount.
All I will say on this topic is: Bonnie and Gracie I always admire your post and dedication to the cause.

I have a friend. A childhood friend at that. I have know this guy since he was knee high to a grass hopper. He has owned a business in TV forever. We talked awhile back about how things are going in TV with the business. He said things have changed so much over the last 10 years or so. He is about to move locations to save money. He was telling me that there is much more than just the money of doing business in TV, I will leave it at that.
If you are wanting to bring the best of the best to TV to serve and provide to the residents, then you got to be willing to change. Just a thought
Old 07-24-2017, 05:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW View Post
All I will say on this topic is: Bonnie and Gracie I always admire your post and dedication to the cause.

I have a friend. A childhood friend at that. I have know this guy since he was knee high to a grass hopper. He has owned a business in TV forever. We talked awhile back about how things are going in TV with the business. He said things have changed so much over the last 10 years or so. He is about to move locations to save money. He was telling me that there is much more than just the money of doing business in TV, I will leave it at that.
If you are wanting to bring the best of the best to TV to serve and provide to the residents, then you got to be willing to change. Just a thought
The daughter of Mark Morse is in charge of Commercial Leasing now...I think. Is that one of the changes, Gary?

In general bricks and mortar retail is waning. Malls are in their death throes. Most people, including me, shop on line. I don't buy clothing or trinkets at ANY tourist destination, knowing the rent is higher because it can be. The squares are tourist destinations. The Morses may need to adjust their prices. Few retail stores are expanding into brick and mortar locations and opening new locations ANYWHERE. Shopping online is winning out.

And Gary...I have no cause. I admire a well run business. I like living where things are kept up and crime is low and it doesn't snow.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-24-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:24 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The daughter of Mark

And Gary...I have no cause. I admire a well run business. I like living where things are kept up and crime is low and it doesn't snow.
I absolutely agree. They do a good job and they make a lot of money. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Clearing Up Rumors

Yep! Glad that is cleared up.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
(As appeared in The Villages Daily Sun)
Talking with Scott Renick
Renick is The Villages director of commercial development

What’s the No. 1 myth being perpetuated about commercial leasing in The Villages?
That every business in The Villages pays to The Villages Developer a percentage of every dollar they take in. I have heard this from the first day, and it is completely false. Some businesses do pay a percentage of sales only after they exceed a certain threshold that is predetermined and agreed upon. It’s a clause in their lease that kicks in only after sales reach a certain threshold; so it’s pre-negotiated. This is a common practice in retail leases nationwide. Within
The Villages, only 7 percent of our businesses met this criteria last year.
"This is a common practice in retail leases nationwide."
That really isn't correct, over the years we have leased over a dozen properties none had a % of sales clause in them in NY.
Now franchising nationwide and discussing locations with potential franchisee none have such clause.

Percentage leases are commonly executed in retail mall outlets.
TV is not a mall!

TV has an issue with a sales dip in the summer for a retailer.

When I first moved here I inquired about the rent for a store, it's high (without normal concessions) don't let anyone tell you it's not.

For example it's lower over by HD rt 441 with tons more
shoppers.

my .02

Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
"[COLOR="Blue"]This is a common practice in retail leases nationwide.[/COLOR]"
That really isn't correct, over the years we have leased over a dozen properties none had a % of sales clause in them in NY.
Now franchising nationwide and discussing locations with potential franchisee none have such clause.

Percentage leases are commonly executed in retail mall outlets.
TV is not a mall!

TV has an issue with a sales dip in the summer for a retailer.

When I first moved here I inquired about the rent for a store, it's high (without normal concessions) don't let anyone tell you it's not.

For example it's lower over by HD rt 441 with tons more
shoppers.

my .02

Did you lease in destination malls or in strip malls?

If you have a high traffic, high turnover business the volume can support the higher rent, but if you have a niche business, you had better be very careful of your bottom line. That's just how it is. People charge more for rent because they can charge more. In the past in DESTINATION malls that attracted droves of people, high rent and a portion of sales after a certain point used to be common. The same in vacation destinations. it isn't illegal, immoral or unethical. It is what the traffic will bear.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-24-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 AM

Well said.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Post From Experience

I can say with knowledge that some major Corporations Corporate Attorney's will tell their Pricing Departments that if the product they are announcing has no competition then the only thing that should measure their price is "GREED"The villages is not a charity and it does not have a soul. It is a profit making business. In large business's you have laws that govern their behavior, (e.g. antitrust, price fixing, etc.etc.). We do not have that in the villages. The trade off is quality of life vs controls. I guess you could say the POA is a sort of control but it also has limits.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:18 AM

Spot on, well written.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Good information............difficult to prove or disprove.

No matter what the facts and data are, the negative people on this site will continue to push their agenda.

They stick out like a sore thumb.

Naughty list?????..............maybe.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:28 AM

That is called a triple net lease and it is normal practice in all shopping malls!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Kalosky View Post
That is called a triple net lease and it is normal practice in all shopping malls!
Peggy! Welcome to the forum...sit down, put your feet up...coffee? Glass of wine?

I think you are gonna like it here.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Interesting discussion. Unlike the political forum (haven't been on in days) we can still have a civil discussion of a given subject on TOTV. "You have to be reasonable to reason" anonymous

The Developer has invested many $$$ in the building of Brownwood and obviously it has been slower to develop than previous Squares. Now that it's certain homes built south of Brownwood, one can expect this will result in more "traffic" to Brownwood. As other posts have noted, on-line purchasing has also hurt the local retailers in TV and also elsewhere across the country. Bottom line, as the retail environment changes so you will see some changes in commercial leases. "Change" is rapid and more certain these days---- So let be written, so let it be done.

Tags
villages, businesses, business, lease, commercial

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.