Gate Strikes

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2021, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Gate Strikes

According to today's rag (page C4), there were 130 gate strikes in January.

Is this a prediction, or very late reporting?
Old 12-11-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Probably a typo. Maybe they meant to say since January?
Old 12-11-2021, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

Perhaps someone needs to set up a database that tracks gate strikes on a monthly basis and set up an over/under line to give people another thing to gamble on? The caveat being that you automatically lose your wager if you strike a gate.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic fox View Post
according to today's rag (page c4), there were 130 gate strikes in january.

Is this a prediction, or very late reporting?
and your point,with this thead
Old 12-11-2021, 09:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I still can't fathom why people hit the gate arms. If you have only lived in TV for a week you know there are gate arms at the entrances to the individual villages. Maybe these drivers need to be reported to the state motor vehicle department to be called in for testing of their vision, physical and mental ability to drive a car. Maybe the next time instead of a gate arm it might be a pedestrian.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:17 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I still can't fathom why people hit the gate arms. If you have only lived in TV for a week you know there are gate arms at the entrances to the individual villages. Maybe these drivers need to be reported to the state motor vehicle department to be called in for testing of their vision, physical and mental ability to drive a car. Maybe the next time instead of a gate arm it might be a pedestrian.
I'd bet a lot of those 'strikes' are a result of the next car in line who opts to try to get thru the gate on the tail of the car in front rather than wait for that gate to close and then open again for that next car! And other 'strikes' might be from worker vehicles with a trailer in tow where the gate goes down after the truck passes thru but then is struck by the trailer or something on it.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Perhaps someone needs to set up a database that tracks gate strikes on a monthly basis and set up an over/under line to give people another thing to gamble on? The caveat being that you automatically lose your wager if you strike a gate.
LOL. I like that idea!
Old 12-11-2021, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

I can understand it IF a commercial vehicle with a trailer busts the gate. However, when the gate strikes the impatient folks that attempt to slip past along with someone that opened the gate and it hits the gate, then I sincerely hope that it causes enough damage to the vehicle to make them think twice about doing it again. Had a beat up old car sneak in behind me just this week. For crying out loud, push the da*n red button if you don't have a card. How hard is that?
Old 12-11-2021, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have noticed that depending on lighting conditions and the background that gate arms can be hard to see. I would like the villages to try an experiment, take the top 5 or 6 locations for gate strikes, and paint these arms bright yellow or orange, and then see if the number of strikes drops.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have noticed that depending on lighting conditions and the background that gate arms can be hard to see. I would like the villages to try an experiment, take the top 5 or 6 locations for gate strikes, and paint these arms bright yellow or orange, and then see if the number of strikes drops.
Mrs Fox has great difficulty seeing the arms at dusk and a brighter color would certainly be of benefit to her.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Village Community Development Districts
Old 12-11-2021, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Mrs Fox has great difficulty seeing the arms at dusk and a brighter color would certainly be of benefit to her.
Does she have great difficulty seeing pedestrians at dusk as well? How about golf carts, bikes or visiting Grandchildren?
Old 12-11-2021, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Does she have great difficulty seeing pedestrians at dusk as well? How about golf carts, bikes or visiting Grandchildren?
Maybe, if the carts didn't have their lights on and the cyclists and grandchildren weren't wearing something light and preferably reflective.

That is why we do those things, and that is why VillageTinker's suggestion to make the gate arms more visible is a good one.

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 12-11-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
That's a good idea. The other problem is that the exit gates don't all open at the same time. A perfect example is the exit gate at Cazaras Avenue onto El Camino Real. This gate doesn't open until a car is practically on top of it. If folks are used to approaching a gate at 5 mph and having it open when they reach it, they are in for a surprise at some gates.

It really shouldn't be that difficult to set them up so that you have a similar experience at all gates. Why set traps for people?
Old 12-11-2021, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

.......and as a very 'helpful' poster pointed out on a previous thread about gates, the things often move to another location without warning
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, strikes, late, prediction, january

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.