Car or Truck goes thru building inside roundabout!

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Gold member
Default Car or Truck goes thru building inside roundabout!

Just drove thru the gate at Bailey Trail - Buena Vista and Odell Circle. This is the roundabout in front of the new Sea Breeze Regional Rec Center

Heading west on Odell Circle I noticed the gate was knocked down then I looked up and could see that a car or truck went in and out of the building inside the roundabout. Must of been going very fast. Car or truck left 2 large holes in the building one for entrance one for exit. I say car or truck because it is aq very large hole and I saw a large tire in the building.

Hoping to hear what happened.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Platinum member
Default Same Guy?

Might have been the same person that drove over the island and wiped out the gate, mechanism, island, and all earlier in the week at Hemingway entrance at Odell & Morse. I'm starting to think that the cart path may be safer. Then again there was the lady driving a Honda Accord that I almost collided with ....

Last edited by F16 1UB; 01-10-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

We saw it too this morning on our way to church. They must have been going pretty fast because they hit the big palm tree in front of the building first and knocked it down before hitting the building. And they still had enough force to take out the cement supports on the building. Can't believe the building didn't fall down on the vehicle.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Veteran member

Sorry,I dropped my beer and lost control.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Veteran member

No pics??
Old 01-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Gold member
Default serious crash

My guess is this was a late night high speed crash. The gate exiting Duval was also completely sheared off. The vehicle must have been traveling at a very high rate of speed. There were no skid marks. The vehicle crossed the circle, hopped the curve, took out a one way sigh post and a lot of very large shrubs, then entered one side of the pump house, went COMPLETELY through the pump house and exited through the wall on the other side. I walked over to look inside the building and there are all kinds of car parts, hunks of bumpers, wheels, engine parts. It is an amazing sight. I asked the attendant at the guard house what happened. He said, "I don't know anything"
Old 01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Good Grief!!!

You people are very good reporters. I can just imagine how it looks. Isn't that the only building inside of a traffic circle? it was the first one that came to mind. Please update us off campus that don't get the newspaper.

Just added. Gretchen remembers a building in the middle of the circle by Arnold Palmer. She said it looked like a pumping station.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-10-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Good Grief!!!

You people are very good reporters. I can just imagine how it looks. Isn't that the only building inside of a traffic circle? it was the first one that came to mind. Please update us off campus that don't get the newspaper.

Just added. Gretchen remembers a building in the middle of the circle by Arnold Palmer. She said it looked like a pumping station.
GG... I'd post pix's if i wasn't so computer challenged?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Veteran member
Exclamation Y'all be careful out there

Tuesday
Friends visiting from St Pete witnessed the aftermath of what appeared to be a head on collision on Morse Blvd and the Colony.

Wed.
Aforementioned accident that took out the Hemingway gate and was probably responsiible the minor blackout some us experienced.
I missed Bunco

Fri.
On the way to mah jong was delayed because of a major accident on the 466 and Rolling Acres Rd. Disabled vehicles on 3 of the 4 corners.

Sat./Sun.
Taking out of the pumping station on Odel & Buena Vista.

I'm starting to feel like we're all in a bad chase movie.

Just hope no one was seriously injured in last night's acciddent.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Sage
Default So many questions!

What is the law enforcement jurisdiction? Is there a police report? Did anyone take pictures? It's hard to imagine how the driver got away, especially with engine parts and a tire left behind.

Hey, are all you guys just playing a joke on those of us who aren't there? Did y'all get together at a bar last night and plan this tale. Did this really happened!?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
Tuesday
Friends visiting from St Pete witnessed the aftermath of what appeared to be a head on collision on Morse Blvd and the Colony.

Wed.
Aforementioned accident that took out the Hemingway gate and was probably responsiible the minor blackout some us experienced.
I missed Bunco

Fri.
On the way to mah jong was delayed because of a major accident on the 466 and Rolling Acres Rd. Disabled vehicles on 3 of the 4 corners.

Sat./Sun.
Taking out of the pumping station on Odel & Buena Vista.

I'm starting to feel like we're all in a bad chase movie.

Just hope no one was seriously injured in last night's acciddent.
Sun.
Someone sideswiped the guard house at the Rt 466 end of Southern Trace. Probably more damage to car than building.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default People drive way to fast in TV....they must be in

they must be in a hurry to get home to take their nap or get their geritol....

We need many more cops....many more speed traps....many, many more tickets...let's have TV capable of writing more tickets than Waldo, FL on 301!!!!

Everybody slows down when they get there.
It worked there and would work here too and raise a lot of $$$ for the various counties.

Go git em Dano.

btk
Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

I tried to upload a photo of the damage at the Bailey/Odell & Buena Vista roundabout without success. If you look at the scene...starting from the broken exit gate leading westward out of Duval...it appears that the vehicle went in a perfectly straight line through the gate and completely through one of the utility buildings (concrete block construction) located within the roundabout. I saw no skid marks...leading me to believe that the driver had a 'medical emergency' such as heart attack, stroke, seizure, diabetic issue or whatever.
Without regard to the physical damage, I hope the driver survived. Perhaps Monday's paper will have the whole story.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogaman View Post
I tried to upload a photo of the damage at the Bailey/Odell & Buena Vista roundabout without success. If you look at the scene...starting from the broken exit gate leading westward out of Duval...it appears that the vehicle went in a perfectly straight line through the gate and completely through one of the utility buildings (concrete block construction) located within the roundabout. I saw no skid marks...leading me to believe that the driver had a 'medical emergency' such as heart attack, stroke, seizure, diabetic issue or whatever.
Without regard to the physical damage, I hope the driver survived. Perhaps Monday's paper will have the whole story.
If it's in Monday's paper i missed it during a quick scan this AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I didn't see it in the paper either.

Oh boy. Wonder why there was no write up? At least none that I could read online.

Hope the paper isn't going to be harpooned again as "All The News You Need to Know.".

Was there anything in police report section?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.