AT&T Cell Phone Service

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Gold member
Default AT&T Cell Phone Service

How good is it in TV? Contract up with Verizon and Radio Shack has a Samsung Captivate for FREE (right, only a 2 year contract, that's not free) for $15 a month + data feature.

Thinking about switching if service is as good as Verizon.

What say you all.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Good

I have ATT Cell service on an IPhone and get very good coverage throughout The Villages and in my travels up and down I-95 to and from Connecticut.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Good service outside building anywhere but inside the bowling alleys and rec centers it is virtually not available. Probably because of the metal building materials.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Gold member

My AT&T works fine everywhere even in the Rec centers and other buildings.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:11 AM

I recently saw on television that a survey was conducted by a national firm that ranks the top 4 carriers regarding customer service. AT&T was last and Verizon was first. Use should consider this before making a final decision.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
I recently saw on television that a survey was conducted by a national firm that ranks the top 4 carriers regarding customer service. AT&T was last and Verizon was first. Use should consider this before making a final decision.
I do agree with this survey. But doesn't it depend on where you live as well? Where the towers are?

In our area my AT&T phone is a paperweight, but in a neighboring town, Verizon doesn't get signal.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We switched in July from AT@T to Verizon. Service for us in Hadley and where we are renting in Harmeswood was bad.

My friend Swimdawg....has been "dogging" AT@T. about when the new towers are going in near here to have better service. I think they told her in August.

She is off campus right now, but will be returning soon and will give you an update.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:35 AM

Location within the Villages does matter when it comes to cell service. We live in a concrete block home in Sunset Pointe and have AT&T with minimal problems. However friends who recently purchased a CYV in Buttonwood have Verizon and have terrible cell service... calls keep dropping. My husband was at their CYV this past week and we tried repeatedly to make calls to and from his cell phone without much luck. Friends in Pennecamp also have said their cell service is really bad.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

have at&t on the historic side and get great service inside the house and outside. great reception up and down the east coast as well. also have t-mobile - cheaper that at&t and service just as good. dept of justice currently thumbs down on the merger w/at&t - so am hoping the company will still be around with their less expensive service! and the htc sensation is to die for! wish i could justify the purchase!

a friend had verizon cell service as a new customer - had been assured service would be fine where she lived - was NOT! she went back to the store that signed her up and everything was cancelled with no cost to her. perhaps you can inquire about such an agreement with the store/service?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Default Ipad 3G AT&T

I have found that AT&T 3G service is quite inconsistent throughout The Villages for the IPad. For cell phones, Verizon has been much better.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Platinum member

I recently switched http://www.consumercellular.com The plan I have is about $15 a month with no contract. It uses ATT towers.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Have AT&T. Service in Pennecamp ir very poor. Maybe 1 bar on a good day. Usualy no bars around Colony Plaza. Heard the talk of more towers in August. Still poor service.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Sage

Our AT&T service is always weak in Duval. I got the same story from AT&T customer service earlier this year - new cell towers are in the works in the 466A corridor. Trying to be patient.........it's only a matter of time given all the new homes going in to the south.

Bill
Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 PM

I have At&T (I phone 3G) live in Buttonwood, service is not too good, 2 bars at the most here at home. Even around the town square at LSL service is poor it might work in one place take 2 steps and lose signal. Half time my phone won't even ring, then it will beep that I have a voicemail. I've had At&T forever and never had problems before moving to TV, so now I am just trying to decide whether to switch.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:37 AM

My ATT reception/connection in St James is horrible. Dropped calls, garbled voice, long time to connect, you name it. work requirements preclude me from switching out carriers.

I am hoping that problems cease once new towers are constructed. Sales rep at AT&T store on 441 told me last week that 3 are planned along the 441 corridor, the first one being near Cherry Lake Rd w/in 3-6 months.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.