Colony Publix

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
How do we get a Wegman's supermarket down here.?
You could call Danny Wegman up in Rochester, but it won't do any good. At this point, I hear, they are only about to put their first store in North Carolina. It's a long ways to Florida!!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Sage

Its not just Publix-the entire Villages is getting the look of living in a NY Subway during rush hour.--Honestly we've been here almost 5 years and this density crap has got us thinking about getting out of Dodge- Having to wait for 3-4 traffic light changes to make a left turn on to Buena Vista off of 466A-give me a break !!!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Okay, here is the story I heard. Wegmans is a family owned store. So is Publix. They kinda drew a north/south line, Wegmans only so far south, Publix only so far north.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Dancing Thyme

I agree with you Chatbrat, I was on the road all day today from early morning and the traffic was crazy. I was from one end to the other and it didn't matter, everything was totally backed up.

The entrance to Canal Street from Stillwater was back up to the roundabout, so I took off and went the long way.

Turning left onto Morse from 466 was so backed up, I went all the way to 466A just to avoid that turn. At least its less frustrating, especially because I don't mind driving.

If I go to Publix (almost any of them), its either before 9am or after 7pm, just to avoid crowds. Its certainly not the way I planned it when I moved here 7 years ago. Kinda disappointing.

I've thought about relocating but I just don't think i have the energy anymore to take the packing and relocating, so I'll just continue to do things that keep me sane.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 02-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Its not just Publix-the entire Villages is getting the look of living in a NY Subway during rush hour...
All credibility officially lost.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
Okay, here is the story I heard. Wegmans is a family owned store. So is Publix. They kinda drew a north/south line, Wegmans only so far south, Publix only so far north.
Yes, Wegmans will not compete with another family owned grocery store chain. As much as I miss shopping at Wegmans and would like one here, I know it will never happen in my lifetime.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:58 PM

I live two minutes from Colony and for the few months of the year when crowding is a problem, I go to Winn Dixie or wait until after 7pm to go to Colony. It's not for a little while, so I don't get too upset
Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Replt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana13 View Post
I know many people have posted about the overcrowding at the Colony Plaza Publix shopping area. However today, was by far the worst I have ever seen,(in the six yrs I lived here) I am sure the Super Bowl, has something to do with it, but not only were there no parking places, there were no grocery baskets, when I finally found a place to park, by Beall's I walked to the store to find no baskets, , the aisles were so crowded you could not even get down them, the lines to check out were backed up so far, people were blocking the main aisle . People were raging, complaining and literally I thought we would have a riot in the store. Now that S of 466A is almost complete the population has grown, and than we have the snowbirds, renters and Fruitland park residents adding to the problem, Why didn't the Villages realize that with new growth shopping is at a premium, The Publix on 44 is virtually empty, and I now plan to drive the extra distance to shop there (for my own sanity) until the mass leaves. The Villages did a poor job planning on the additional homes with no shopping available, except for Colony. Patience is non existent and the rudeness and actions of those I witnessed today, was disgraceful. People you are retired, chill out and smile. This is the South, and no one is in a hurry, if you don't like it stay up North.
Publix on 44 was not empty...the effects of SuperBowl Sunday weekend is in effect on top of the month of February....the busiest tourist month in the State of Florida, not just here....relax....in a few weeks things will calm down a bit....this place is so unique and wonderful everyone wants to be here. I do agree that another supermarket in the Colony-Fruitland Park area would do a booming business right from opening day....an opportunity awaits.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Its not just Publix-the entire Villages is getting the look of living in a NY Subway during rush hour.--Honestly we've been here almost 5 years and this density crap has got us thinking about getting out of Dodge- Having to wait for 3-4 traffic light changes to make a left turn on to Buena Vista off of 466A-give me a break !!!
Go for it........................
Old 02-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Smart person indeed. Problem solved.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Smart person indeed. Problem solved.
I've met Danny Wegman, nice guy and shrewd businessman. I doubt he'll bite off more than he can chew. Now with careful planning and a suitable business model for Florida, who knows.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Sage

U think Publix is crowded now . . . I worked in the main Bradenton store in the fall of 1962 and when the Cuban Missile Crisis hit the fan everything in the store was gone in a few hours.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-05-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
I live two minutes from Colony and for the few months of the year when crowding is a problem, I go to Winn Dixie or wait until after 7pm to go to Colony. It's not for a little while, so I don't get too upset
Us too! We were at the Colony Publix tonight at 6:30. No problem getting a space for the car, getting a cart, getting around the store or checking out. I'll repeat what many here say, "We're retired. Enjoy life" Why is everyone rushing to the store during the busiest part of the day? The store is open from 7 AM to 9 PM. Go play golf or line dance during the day and shop at night when it is a pleasure
Old 02-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana13 View Post
I know many people have posted about the overcrowding at the Colony Plaza Publix shopping area. However today, was by far the worst I have ever seen,(in the six yrs I lived here) I am sure the Super Bowl, has something to do with it, but not only were there no parking places, there were no grocery baskets, when I finally found a place to park, by Beall's I walked to the store to find no baskets, , the aisles were so crowded you could not even get down them, the lines to check out were backed up so far, people were blocking the main aisle . People were raging, complaining and literally I thought we would have a riot in the store. Now that S of 466A is almost complete the population has grown, and than we have the snowbirds, renters and Fruitland park residents adding to the problem, Why didn't the Villages realize that with new growth shopping is at a premium, The Publix on 44 is virtually empty, and I now plan to drive the extra distance to shop there (for my own sanity) until the mass leaves. The Villages did a poor job planning on the additional homes with no shopping available, except for Colony. Patience is non existent and the rudeness and actions of those I witnessed today, was disgraceful. People you are retired, chill out and smile. This is the South, and no one is in a hurry, if you don't like it stay up North.
The Publix on 44 is not virtually empty. My husband and I were there and experienced the same thing you did at Colony. Then later he went to Winn Dixie in Pinellas, and that was mobbed too.

It's the Super Bowl, Baby!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
Us too! We were at the Colony Publix tonight at 6:30. No problem getting a space for the car, getting a cart, getting around the store or checking out. I'll repeat what many here say, "We're retired. Enjoy life" Why is everyone rushing to the store during the busiest part of the day? The store is open from 7 AM to 9 PM. Go play golf or line dance during the day and shop at night when it is a pleasure
Exactly.

Take a big risk and try something different. Shop in the evening or before 9am.

Another leap: Try Winn-Dixie and Fresh Market.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, colony, publix, shopping, park, store, villages, baskets, today, premium, south, growth, virtually, drive, plan, empty, hurry, north, problem, adding, residents, renters, fruitland, stay, extra

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.