Combining Golf Car and Hybrid Vehicule

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2023, 03:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,137 Times in 815 Posts
Default Combining Golf Car and Hybrid Vehicule

We are concerning our 1st golf car and own a SUV with one driver in our house.
We also don't know anything about Hybrid cars.

I came up with this idea:
Wouldn't it be feasible to just buy a hybrid car (any size) which uses battery's for
short trips, same as an electric golf car?

Pros:
Maintaining one vehicle instead of two.
There would be one insurance premium to pay.
Garage one vehicle.
We would be in AC all the time.
Available for longer road trips.
Carry more grocery's.

Cons:
Couldn't use it on trails or golf courses.
If there were two drivers that needed transportation, this wouldn't work.

We would get the best of both worlds.

Your Thought Please
Old 06-17-2023, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,143 Times in 2,774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
We are concerning our 1st golf car and own a SUV with one driver in our house.
We also don't know anything about Hybrid cars.

I came up with this idea:
Wouldn't it be feasible to just buy a hybrid car (any size) which uses battery's for
short trips, same as an electric golf car?

Pros:
Maintaining one vehicle instead of two.
There would be one insurance premium to pay.
Garage one vehicle.
We would be in AC all the time.
Available for longer road trips.
Carry more grocery's.

Cons:
Couldn't use it on trails or golf courses.
If there were two drivers that needed transportation, this wouldn't work.

We would get the best of both worlds.

Your Thought Please
To each his or her own, but if I had to choose between a golf cart and a car for the Villages I would definitely take the golf cart. During my 3 1/2 month stay last winter I used the car five times, once to look at the new golf cart we bought in Webster, twice to bring our bikes south of 44 to ride on the pathways, and twice to get some fresh seafood at the lighthouse fish market on 466. Other than that it was 100% golf cart use, including swimming laps at every sports pool in the Villages, playing every Championship course in the Villages, and playing about 2/3 of the Executive courses. No problems doing all shopping, dinning out or getting takeout, going to town squares, etc… all with a cart. Granted, I might think differently living south of 44, but living north of 466 there is really no reason to have a car for daily needs. The only reason I feel a need to have a car is to have access to decent health care if unexpectedly needed, so I could go to Gainesville. I put about 100 hours on the new quiet tech and about 50 hours on the old Yamaha EFI over the winter and probably less than 100 miles on the car.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,686 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The only reason I feel a need to have a car is to have access to decent health care if unexpectedly needed, so I could go to Gainesville.
OK, that is a very valid reason for having a car.

If you have enough money to afford two vehicles, I guess you would prefer to have a golf cart for the second vehicle. A lot of people do that.

Last edited by VApeople; 06-17-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,686 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Wouldn't it be feasible to just buy a hybrid car?
Sure it would. A lot of people have hybrid cars.

Any other questions?
Old 06-17-2023, 06:35 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

We”re on our third hybrid over 15 years, our 2013 Prius we leave up north for or son to use, our new 2022 Carolla Hybrid gets consistently around 68 mpg around the villages fill up about once every 2 months including trips to Orlando. Also a 2015 golf cart.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:23 PM
Veteran member

I've been driving 3 different hybrids in total since 2010 as my primary vehicle. It's not clear from your post what your goal is, but you can't really compare a hybrid vehicle to an electric golf cart even if it's a plug in hybrid. Hybrid cars have better efficiencies over regular cars because they can take advantage of storing excess power in the batteries (coasting downhill, regenerative braking, etc) and then at other times assisting the engine with that excess power. It's really not so much about the rare occasions when driving while under 25 MPH in electric only mode where the fuel savings is made.
Old 06-18-2023, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

If you are not golfers a golf cart is just fun transportation, your auto will fill your needs perfectly.
Old 06-18-2023, 05:53 AM
Default maybe

doubt you would make up the cost of making the change from what you own now
Old 06-18-2023, 05:59 AM

If you do not golf, you don’t need a golf cart. I personally hate riding around in a golf cart. In summer have to put on sun screen to go any where and feel hot and sweaty when I get there. In winter it is cold. The spring and fall it is alright to drive, but I still have to do the sunscreen and feel grimy from the dust. I would rather take the $15k and have two hybrid cars if both need transportation. Only reason in my opinion to have a golf cart if you don’t golf is because you have a one and half garage like we do.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

If your vehicle is relatively new and in good condition down grading to a hybrid may not be worth it. We drive about 15,000 miles annually and do see savings on fuel. To just drive around the villages stick with a golf cart.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remembergoldenrule View Post
If you do not golf, you don’t need a golf cart. I personally hate riding around in a golf cart. In summer have to put on sun screen to go any where and feel hot and sweaty when I get there. In winter it is cold. The spring and fall it is alright to drive, but I still have to do the sunscreen and feel grimy from the dust. I would rather take the $15k and have two hybrid cars if both need transportation. Only reason in my opinion to have a golf cart if you don’t golf is because you have a one and half garage like we do.
I agree with this. It all depends on your usage. We recently bought a house with a 2.5 car garage. We don't play much golf, but we both often participate in activities at rec centers that are 20 minutes by car (45 minutes by golf cart) so it is more practical for us to have 2 cars. If we ever start playing a lot of golf, I will probably also get a cart.

A full plug-in EV like a Tesla will work great for TV, especially if your other car is gasoline for longer trips. EVs are a real pain if you're going more than 75 miles.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,685 Times in 1,535 Posts

Interesting question. Would a hybrid car be your best option? Boiling it down to dollars and cents it might seem so at first glance. It costs about half as much for gasoline to run a hybrid than a regular car (according to Walletburst dot com, $2,376.00 per year for an all-gas vehicle vs. $1,188.00 per year for a hybrid based on an estimated 13,500 miles driven per year), and while that is significant it doesn't even come close to covering the whole ball of wax. Examples:

1. The fuel savings for hybrids come from electricity generated by the gasoline engine as well as by non-gas - related actions such as regenerative braking, coasting, etc., which is then used to power the vehicle in place of gasoline. In non - plug-in hybrids those are the only sources of electricity. The gasoline engine only kicks in when the battery descends to a point of charge (10%?), but if most of your trips are, say, the two-mile trip-to-Publix variety then your battery is going to be used most often when it is on the lower end of charge, and this is hard on the battery. According to hybridautomotive dot com, "Maintaining proper battery life begins with using the battery. To help the battery “remember” its capacity, it is best to regularly drain the battery and then recharge it to full capacity." In other words if you're going to run your car with a consistently low battery your battery will die a lot quicker than it otherwise would.

2. You can, of course, get a plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHEV) and keeping the battery topped off via an outlet in your garage. But that electricity isn't free.

3. Hybrids are costlier to insure than all-gas cars: something like 10% or so per year more. The website didn't explain why.

4. Maintenance on hybrids costs more, often a lot more. even ignoring the costliest single item--replacing the battery in a hybrid, which is a notorious dollar-eater--it stands to reason that the hybrid is going to cost more for upkeep because you're essentially maintaining TWO power plants (electric motor and gasoline engine), not just one.

5. If all of your eggs are kept in one basket (i.e. a hybrid car) what happens when it needs maintenance? Depending on the length of time needed to do the repair(s) you could be without wheels for a long time.

My preferred choice of action? Get the hybrid as well as a reasonably-priced used gas powered golf cart for use when the hybrid for whatever reason isn't available. Golf cart operating expenses are very low compared to just about any automobile--we gas up ours maybe twice a month, totalling maybe $35.00, and use it probably 90% of the time. Maintenance costs are also comparatively low. Plus, anyone who knows a box-end wrench from a hacksaw can do all of the routine maintenance needed for a golf cart, plus even some major repairs if ever needed.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=ThirdOfFive;2227480]

My preferred choice of action? Get the hybrid as well as a reasonably-priced used gas powered golf cart for use when the hybrid for whatever reason isn't available. Golf cart operating expenses are very low compared to just about any automobile/QUOTE]

I would say this is your answer if finances are a concern. We use the golf car exclusively for any location in TV from Lake Sumter south. We only use the car for trips to Costco or when we leave the bubble.
Old 06-18-2023, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Interesting question. Would a hybrid car be your best option? Boiling it down to dollars and cents it might seem so at first glance. It costs about half as much for gasoline to run a hybrid than a regular car (according to Walletburst dot com, $2,376.00 per year for an all-gas vehicle vs. $1,188.00 per year for a hybrid based on an estimated 13,500 miles driven per year), and while that is significant it doesn't even come close to covering the whole ball of wax. Examples:

1. The fuel savings for hybrids come from electricity generated by the gasoline engine as well as by non-gas - related actions such as regenerative braking, coasting, etc., which is then used to power the vehicle in place of gasoline. In non - plug-in hybrids those are the only sources of electricity. The gasoline engine only kicks in when the battery descends to a point of charge (10%?), but if most of your trips are, say, the two-mile trip-to-Publix variety then your battery is going to be used most often when it is on the lower end of charge, and this is hard on the battery. According to hybridautomotive dot com, "Maintaining proper battery life begins with using the battery. To help the battery “remember” its capacity, it is best to regularly drain the battery and then recharge it to full capacity." In other words if you're going to run your car with a consistently low battery your battery will die a lot quicker than it otherwise would.

2. You can, of course, get a plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHEV) and keeping the battery topped off via an outlet in your garage. But that electricity isn't free.

3. Hybrids are costlier to insure than all-gas cars: something like 10% or so per year more. The website didn't explain why.

4. Maintenance on hybrids costs more, often a lot more. even ignoring the costliest single item--replacing the battery in a hybrid, which is a notorious dollar-eater--it stands to reason that the hybrid is going to cost more for upkeep because you're essentially maintaining TWO power plants (electric motor and gasoline engine), not just one.

5. If all of your eggs are kept in one basket (i.e. a hybrid car) what happens when it needs maintenance? Depending on the length of time needed to do the repair(s) you could be without wheels for a long time.

My preferred choice of action? Get the hybrid as well as a reasonably-priced used gas powered golf cart for use when the hybrid for whatever reason isn't available. Golf cart operating expenses are very low compared to just about any automobile--we gas up ours maybe twice a month, totalling maybe $35.00, and use it probably 90% of the time. Maintenance costs are also comparatively low. Plus, anyone who knows a box-end wrench from a hacksaw can do all of the routine maintenance needed for a golf cart, plus even some major repairs if ever needed.
Lithium ion batteries do not have a "memory" and driving 2 miles versus 60 miles has no effect on the battery at all. If that was the case the battery in your cordless drill would die after about two weeks. I have a 2004 Toyota Prius with 635,000 miles on it and it still has the original lithium ion battery. You then make this assumption even though you admit you don't know that maintenance on a lithium powered vehicle is more expensive than gas. Then explain why the villages car golf cart annual maintenance for a lithium powered golf cart is roughly half of the price of the gas powered golf cart?
Old 06-18-2023, 11:38 AM

Hybrids are not what you need at all. The car is more expensive than gas, batteries like your golf cart will be replaced for much money
Closed Thread

Tags
car, golf, hybrid, vehicle, trips

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.