Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Comcast

Here is one for the books. I received my last Comcast bill and noted there was a $9.95 charge I had not seen previously. I called Comcast and they told me it was for the DVR I recieved "free" for as long as I had Comcast extended channels, etc. etc. when we first signed up for Comast 3+ years ago. I said fine..now why am I being charged $9.95..Here comes the slickness..They said because the HD was free but not the DVR..What say that again. I then asked to see the contract I signed 3 years + ago that said this and they said they would have someone call me..Yep, it's been over 2 weeks and no calls. I am now going to pursue with them again and if they continue to play the silent treatment I am going to call the state attorney general's office. It is now principle. Has anyone else had this flim flam happen to them??? Since when did a contracts say just HD and not DVR and the time length was 3+ years which is really an open time length? Weird and totally nuts!!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

One of the many reasons why survey after survey shows Comcast as having the worst customer service in the world for companies over 1 billion in revenue. And significantly worse. So there action plan is to take out ads (on their own media) saying how good service is rather then try to fix the problem. Comcast management is totally incompetent. I so wish there was a viable alternative. They will continue in the current way of doing business until customers start leaving them.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

I dropped Comcast like a hot potato when Verizon FIOS became available to me. Comcast refused to return my original $25 deposit on my set top box. When I mentioned the NY State AG, I got a check within a week. No utility or insurance company wants to deal with the state.

Our secondary medical insurance company was denying payment over a minor billing discrepancy. They paid in full when I mentioned the NY State Insurance Department in a letter of appeal.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Disrespectle

They have found a way to totally disrespect the customers and still book revenue. As I have said all a competitor has to do is go down to their office off of 441, (across from Lowes,etc) and take a picture of the waiting room and ask for the comments from customers in the room. On any given day some have waited an hour or more just to turn in or exchange their box or discuss a bill. To the person they are disgusted. Have been there when
there have been 10+ customers and only one person working. It is terrible.
I only hope some meaningful competition becomes available. I have spoken
to Direct TV and will most likely move to them. Just hate to go through the
hassle but will not have an option shortly. How does Verison work?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

We are very happy with Verizon FIOS. It was a HUGE improvement over Comcast, who was cutting back on the c.hannels in the package we had. If and when we become Villagers (another story), FIOS is something that we will definitely miss.

Problem is - FIOS is not available in TV. Your experience at the Comcast office is one of the problems with a monopoly. No reason to have more customer contact people, so you wait in line.

Last edited by RichieB; 11-29-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Does anyone know whether Verizon FIOS plans to come to TV??
Old 11-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

There is an alternative in Prism. It's through a telephone line, we have it and it's wonderful!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalker919 View Post
In Maryland we had Verizon home phone, cellphone and internet but FIOS wasn't installed in my neighborhood until 2 weeks before we moved to TV, so we had Directv because I dropped Comcast in 2008.

Our Verizon cellphone was only $30 a month senior plan, so we had a home phone with no long distance for only $21 a month and Verizon internet was only $14.99 a month for life at 768kpbs speed.

So when I got here and went to Century Link and asked for a home phone with no long distance for about $21 they said no such thing. Then I asked for 768kpbs speed internet for $15 a month, they said no such thing. We kept our Verizon cellphone from Maryland for $30 a month and we pay Century Link $59 plus tax ($75 total a month) for 10mbps speed internet and a home phone with free long distance and caller ID. It's all way more than we needed but it was the best deal we could find and still keep our Directv.

Prism wasn't available in Tamarind Grove yet so we went with Directv again. I'm a big fan of HD and the one thing I noticed with Prism is it has more HD channels than Comcast but not as much as Directv, especially the premium channels. So if I'm paying $25 a month extra for Showtime and Starz you only get two of each in HD on Prism where on Directv we get 10 Showtime channels and 8 Starz channels in HD. The same can be said with HBO and Cinemax, so I would probably stay with Directv anyway plus the NFL Sunday Ticket is not available on Prism.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalker919 View Post
I doubt that you will see FIOS in The Villages. Comcast has a franchise agreement with the developer (I might be off with the terminology). In addition, Verizon will not be expanding FIOS beyond what they have committed to building. If they have made a commitment to build out your community, they will provide the service. Verizon has found that the cost of providing FIOS service is very high.

My knowledge of this is from a retiree newsletter.

Last edited by RichieB; 11-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

I spoke this morning with the Comcast rep who is our installation contact person -- she has been most attentive and responsive. I told her about the service complaints; she said that part of the delays at the present time are due to the changeover from analog to HD; however, she agreed that this is no excuse for rudeness or poor customer service. She said she would pass these complaints onto her supervisor who she is certain will investigate further-- they are aware that there are alternatives in TV such as Prism and DirectTV. Did my best -- hope it helps --
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
There is an alternative in Prism. It's through a telephone line, we have it and it's wonderful!
JenAjd, do you have Prism in the Villages? I checked online, and when I put in my zip 32159, it said "not available" this area. Maybe that website is out of date?

I'm looking for TV service + internet, and am anxious to get rid of Verizon wireless, as it constantly kicks me offline! So annoying!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Gold member

Try zip 32162 also.
In reality, they're different!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Eternal Member
Question Interesting article about Comcast and Verizon

http://www.moneycrashers.com/comcast...-verizon-fios/

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgal View Post
Especially if you read the comments section!
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
One of the many reasons why survey after survey shows Comcast as having the worst customer service in the world for companies over 1 billion in revenue. And significantly worse. So there action plan is to take out ads (on their own media) saying how good service is rather then try to fix the problem. Comcast management is totally incompetent. I so wish there was a viable alternative. They will continue in the current way of doing business until customers start leaving them.
Agreed! Bad Bad company, but we have no others?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.