Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Default Comcast

Anyone else having comcast internet problems? Been having problems connecting the last few days. Today they had a message on voice mail saying they were having a problem. I called later and they said it was resolved. Not yet for me. It is ongoing. On for a while then gone. No problem with cable.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 PM

I have had the same problem. No connection sometimes and sometimes very slow. Seems OK today.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Eternal Member

I have IE9. When it seems to run slow, I start up Task Manager and see that IE is eating up the CPU. I reboot and everything is fine.

Not saying that is your problem but it works for me.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I have IE9. When it seems to run slow, I start up Task Manager and see that IE is eating up the CPU. I reboot and everything is fine.

Roll back to IE 8. That is what I did on hubby's computer when Windows Update sneaked that upgrade in. We didn't like anything about it. We both use Google Chrome more than we use Internet Explorer. It's usually a lot faster. No problems with Comcast on my end. Hope yours resolves itself soon. I get withdrawals when I don't have my internet!!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Default ???

Quote:

Thanks, no idea what IE9/8 is or, and you will get a kick out of this, a CPU is.

I hv windows
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Eternal Member

Been having problems for several days with slow internet thru Comcast. If it gets too slow then I do a reboot and start over. Seems to help.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttharry View Post
Thanks, no idea what IE9/8 is or, and you will get a kick out of this, a CPU is.

I hv windows
Internet Explorer version 9 & version 8.
Central Processing Unit.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Default Explorer 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Internet Explorer version 9 & version 8.
Central Processing Unit.
Thanks for the answer. If I have windows 7 professional are these new versions the automatic upgrades installed sometimes while shutting down the PC? If so how does one change it back to prior version and if this works how do you stop it from installing it again.
Thank you
Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttharry View Post
Thanks for the answer. If I have windows 7 professional are these new versions the automatic upgrades installed sometimes while shutting down the PC? If so how does one change it back to prior version and if this works how do you stop it from installing it again.
Thank you
If you bought a new system with Windows 7 you have IE9.

I do not think you want to revert to IE8 no matter what anyone says. And I am not really sure you can revert back to IE8 on a W7 system since you never had it in the first place.

IE9 works just fine. That is not your problem.

You will have to do some investigative work to try and determine what your slowdown is. First of all is it all internet sites or just some? Some sites are slower than others. Can you look at Task Manager to see if any app is using a lot of CPU? After you reboot does your problem go away? Is it al the time or at intervals. Just some things to consider.

You can always load Google's Chrome or Mozilla's Firefox. I personally find them inferior to IE9. But that is just my opinion. To each his own.

Z

Old 01-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:

I do not think you want to revert to IE8 no matter what anyone says. And I am not really sure you can revert back to IE8 on a W7 system since you never had it in the first place.

You will have to do some investigative work to try and determine what your slowdown is. First of all is it all internet sites or just some? Some sites are slower than others. Can you look at Task Manager to see if any app is using a lot of CPU? After you reboot does your problem go away? Is it al the time or at intervals. Just some things to consider.

You can always load Google's Chrome or Mozilla's Firefox. I personally find them inferior to IE9. But that is just my opinion. To each his own.

Z
I did a check on reverting back to IE8 (which means uninstalling IE9).

This is what it says:

There are some situations where uninstalling IE9 is not available:

Your machine came with IE9 pre-installed.

The IE8 backup files were not kept or were subsequently deleted when IE9 was installed.

A service pack was applied after IE9 was installed.

See the folowing URL for the full scoop:

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_uninstal...xplorer_9.html

Be sure to read the entire file.

Z

Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Z
I bought a new Toshiba laptop a little over a year ago. It has Windows 7 and came with IE 8. My husband's HP desktop, purchased 2 years ago, came with IE 8. Perhaps newer computers come with IE 9 as the default browser? You are right, that many things can cause computers to be slow. Malware comes to my mind and scanning with a good anti-spyware program would be one of the first things I would do. Make sure your internet security program is updating virus definitions and running regular scans. Does it have a good firewall? Override the settings to do a scan on your own. Download Malwarebytes if you do not already have it. Update it and run a complete scan. I never have an issue with Comcast being slow. I DO find Google Chrome to be faster than Internet Explorer and that is probably due to the fact that it is basically a "stripped down" browser without the bells and whistles of IE.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Eternal Member

My new PC it came with W7 and IE8. When I bought my wife's PC it came with IE9. When a friend had a problem with his W7 system that came with IE8, they restored his hard drive and he ended up with IE9.

I am guessing that after a certain date, IE9 became the base for all W7 systems.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Default it's me again

Went to best buy and bought a new net gear router on sale 49$. Everything is working perfectly now. Thanks for all the information.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.