Thank you to my teachers at The Life Long Learning College.

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Thank you to my teachers at The Life Long Learning College.

I had always been able to draw, all of my life, but had never learned to add color to my sketches. Thank you to Nan Klein, Frank Zimbardi, Jan Ramsey and other fine folks who taught me how to paint with colored pencil, water color and acrylics and who refined my skills in shadowing and depth and balance and style.

These amazing people opened a world I had not had time for and made true artists of many who took their classes. I am so sad that opportunity is gone now for many. For $81 dollars I went to the High School Art Room after hours and learned how to guide my pencil and brush with other grown up students for six sessions each about two hours or more. No grades. No fear of failing, and much great effort with some satisfying rewards.

I invite others to share their efforts.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-21-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Gold member

GG,
great job. Your work looks beautiful. Now, don't go "tagging" the public buildings throughout The Villages or we'l'l be seeing you on Judge Miller's Court TV.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,262 Posts

While I do not know the names of the instructors for the art classes my wife went to, I know she really enjoyed the classes, and made some really nice cards, plaques and paintings. We are going to use her artwork for our Christmas cards this year. I am very sorry to hear about the closing of the Life Long College, but a BIG thank you to the instructors and staff.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Platinum member

So many people attend the yoga classes run by a lovely couple with a real passion for yoga. Pilates with Donna helped so many of us with back problems. I'm so very sad right now.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,668 Times in 596 Posts

The yoga classes are by Coran and Jack Krier, thanks so much to them. This is so very sad for so many folks.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Gold member

Lexi and I have been taking dog obedience classes with Chris and I'm taking a dog grooming class with Jill. Both have been very good instructors. I have three more classes in each class. Guess not. I also just signed up for a decorating class that was scheduled for December. So disappointed.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Location: Carver, MA,Village of Polo Ridge in the future/snow birds/anytime birds.

I have taken three classes and was looking for what to take next. Sad how so few (32) can spoil it for so many.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reezie View Post
I have taken three classes and was looking for what to take next. Sad how so few (32) can spoil it for so many.
I fully agree. My wife and I were each signed up for two next semester.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:57 PM

Ironic that I was signed up for sign language 😔 No joke I play water volleyball with some hearing impaired residents and have been looking forward to better communication
Old 12-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,340 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcruiser View Post
Ironic that I was signed up for sign language 😔 No joke I play water volleyball with some hearing impaired residents and have been looking forward to better communication
I had hoped to take French at some time again in the future at the Lifelong Learning College. I have about 2.5 years of it but it has been thirty years or so since I have taken a French class.

It would be kind of hard though to find a translator that speaks French and sign language for such a class.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:54 AM
Default Very Sad

Sad and very angry. I just cannot shake these feelings. I have also had wonderful, helpful teachers in the LLLC and I thank each and every one of them. The volunteers that gave so much, I thank them also.
I am amazed at this man's response asking for understanding for the Deaf Community. Really? What about the rights of the 18,000 people in your community? So now we all suffer because you sued! I have never thought of the deaf community as a selfish organization. I look around at the villages and see all sorts of disabilities from the obvious to those that you cannot see. How many of those sued for their benefits alone at the detriment of their neighbors?
So, now where do we go? You have managed to destroy a wonderful activity that was available for all (yes even you!) to partake. Did you think this thru? What was your end game? Happy?
Old 12-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Gold member

I had my first class after this announcement today. The instructor was devastated.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:14 PM

I've taken several courses there during my 3 1/2 years as a Villager, but none more compelling than "How to Survive a Nazi Concentration Camp" by Gene Klein. Gene's a Villager who, as a teen, was sent off to Auschwitz with his mother, father, and 2 sisters. I cannot fathom what dark forces are afoot to silence the likes of this fine man at the LLLC. We've let the inmates take control of the asylum, and I'm fed up with it! We've got to reverse course on some of this PC madness, and soon.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Sage
Default Thank you to my teachers at The Life Long Learning College.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMark View Post
I've taken several courses there during my 3 1/2 years as a Villager, but none more compelling than "How to Survive a Nazi Concentration Camp" by Gene Klein. Gene's a Villager who, as a teen, was sent off to Auschwitz with his mother, father, and 2 sisters. I cannot fathom what dark forces are afoot to silence the likes of this fine man at the LLLC. We've let the inmates take control of the asylum, and I'm fed up with it! We've got to reverse course on some of this PC madness, and soon.

The silencing of Mr Klein is abominable, and an attack on our humanity. It reminds me of those who claim the holocaust did not happen. I will never understand the mindset of those plaintiffs who signed on to this suit. Do they have the heart to understand the implication of their actions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I had always been able to draw, all of my life, but had never learned to add color to my sketches. Thank you to Nan Klein, Frank Zimbardi, Jan Ramsey and other fine folks who taught me how to paint with colored pencil, water color and acrylics and who refined my skills in shadowing and depth and balance and style.

These amazing people opened a world I had not had time for and made true artists of many who took their classes. I am so sad that opportunity is gone now for many. For $81 dollars I went to the High School Art Room after hours and learned how to guide my pencil and brush with other grown up students for six sessions each about two hours or more. No grades. No fear of failing, and much great effort with some satisfying rewards.

I invite others to share their efforts.

GG - I love what you have learned and advanced through your participation in the LLLC. I envy your manual and visual ability to create, along with your daughter Helene. You speak volumes, along with the many others, who document the benefits received from their participation in the LLLC. I don't have your talent, but I feel your pain nonetheless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
learned, color, pencil, hours, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.