Comcast again

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2017, 12:47 AM
Veteran member

Couldn't tell you a splitter from a server, so I have no idea. I can unplug it or reset it by pushing the button, beyond that, I'm useless. Comcast tech coming tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Have you tried to change email addresses for literally a couple hundred of your friends and contacts....not to mention vendors and merchants, etc....and then reregistering various websites, like ToTV. I did this once when I came down here and was able to overlap my original email with my new email, took 6 months to get everything changed over. 4 years later, I still occasionally find a site with an old address.
I am considering an outdoor antenna as I have seen comments that these do work in this area, but I know I need to keep some form of cable TV (or the internet equivalent) for specific sports programs that we watch.
Yes. Did it years ago, as it made no sense to be tied to one cable provider. A pain, yes, but whether you switch to CL, Comcast, Brighthouse or FIOS, you're not tethered to their account.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Yes, I am going to look into a separate email account. I do not like gmail, but will look to see what is available.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I am going to look into a separate email account. I do not like gmail, but will look to see what is available.
It's definitely a pain, but its one and done. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Sage

If you are using a mail client, such as on an iPhone, the mail provider doesn't really matter. The "look and feel" comes from the client. The free storage limits for gmail are higher than most people will ever get near (15 gigabytes, including google drive and google photo). They support IMAP and that is really all I care about, along with the fact that my gmail account is "forever".

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 06-27-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Have you tried to change email addresses for literally a couple hundred of your friends and contacts....not to mention vendors and merchants, etc....and then reregistering various websites, like ToTV..
You could register your own domain and make an email address based on that domain that you can use with just about any ip host including comcast or google. That way your email address would follow you wherever you go.

For example the domain "villagetinker.info" is available. So if you registered it you could be "me@villagetinker.info" or whatever.

You can register domains at places like noip or godaddy (search for those terms to find their web pages).

You will have to pay to keep the domain alive but "villagetinker.info" costs $15 a year.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 AM

Sounds like the four lettered word "Comcast" is at it again. When a DVR freezes, the problem is in the DVR memory device. Often this can be cleared with a reset. However, with age and other reasons, these freezes will become more frequent, to the point where the reset will no longer work. Tell the provider to swap out the DVR, problem will go away.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
You could register your own domain and make an email address based on that domain that you can use with just about any ip host including comcast or google. That way your email address would follow you wherever you go.

For example the domain "villagetinker.info" is available. So if you registered it you could be "me@villagetinker.info" or whatever.

You can register domains at places like noip or godaddy (search for those terms to find their web pages).

You will have to pay to keep the domain alive but "villagetinker.info" costs $15 a year.
Very interesting idea, I had not thought of that. I will check to see that they support a POP mail service, and this would be a great alternative.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Audio Video View Post
Well that's not exactly true. While it could be a defective set top box, a DVR locking up (freezing) is often a signal issue or corrupt firmware. Unplug the coax cable and see for yourself.
Tom, I think you are no to something. I had been in the low voltage box in the garage a few times over the last few days, tweaking sprinkler settings, and the coax cables run on both sides of the irrigation box, and get bumped every time the door is opened. I checked the connections today, and 2 were slightly loose, all are tight now.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Sage

In today's environment where you may be accessing e-mail from several devices, you are better off with using the IMAP protocol than POP.

Quote:
Very interesting idea, I had not thought of that. I will check to see that they support a POP mail service, and this would be a great alternative.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I've had horrid problems with Comcast and intermittent outages, a dozen times a day. It's the gateway. Comcast customer service is a joke.
Multiple calls and it's still not fixed.
I'm thinking of CenturyLink and their $45 /month for life is looking good.
Closed Thread

Tags
called, reset, dvr, race, comcast

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.