Comcast modem rental

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Platinum member
Default Comcast modem rental

I reviewed the list of charges on a recent Comcast bill and called to question a charge that read "additional Comcast digital voice services" for $6.16. We have triple play. I learned that we are renting the modem. I am planning to buy a modem and return the rental. Has anyone else done this?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Sage

That modem is a special modem that connects to your in-house phone wiring as well as provide internet service. When I added digital voice I had my own cable modem and I had to change to Comcast's modem. I could have kept my own modem for internet and rented the one for digital voice, but the one for digital voice also did internet, so I'd be paying the same anyway. Looks like you can get it at Best Buy. All the ones on eBay are used or refurbished or incomplete (no backup battery or power cord). If anything goes awry with phone or internet service and you have your own modem, they charge a service call to investigate the problem. With their modem, there is no charge.

Last edited by Mikeod; 02-26-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for your response. The young woman I spoke with at Comcast told me to go buy a modem but I think you are on target that the phone component requires a specialized modem. I hate that Comcast nickels and dimes their customers.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

I noticed my cable modem lease went up to $7.00 per month from $4.00.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
I noticed my cable modem lease went up to $7.00 per month from $4.00.
The flyer in your latest bill had several items going up. Not just the modem.

On the modem - every months or so, I take my modem down to the office in Spruce Creek Terrace(?) on 441 and trade it in for a new one just in case there is new technology out there. A couple of times that has fixed some nagging problems.

There is a little time involved in hooking up the new modem. I always have to call the toll-free number and get a technician to do the final connectivity install from his end. Try not to do the upgrade at noon (lunch) time.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.