Comcast router replacement

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2023, 05:15 PM
Default Comcast router replacement

I'm trying to lower my COMCAST bill and thinking of replacing the existing COMCAST rental modem/router/wifi with a box I buy and install. Anyone done this? What box did you buy? Complications? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

You can use a router of your choice/need.
Google modems compatible with comcast/xfinity. Wehn you get the modem you will have to get on the phone with Xfinity techie to enable the moden.

Really very easy to do. I did mine several years ago....and if I could do it....can't be too difficult!

Old 02-08-2023, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacostello View Post
I'm trying to lower my COMCAST bill and thinking of replacing the existing COMCAST rental modem/router/wifi with a box I buy and install. Anyone done this? What box did you buy? Complications? Thanks in advance.
I know you can do that, and some do, but if there ever is a problem and it's your router--well, the service call two years ago, for anything Comcast DIDN'T own or rent to you, was $100 plus any other parts needed.

Renting their stuff you don't have to guess and their techs are pretty good.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Simplicity itself, and paid for itself in a year

Note, however, that some modems that currently work with Comcast won't from mid-March onwards, and the type you'll need going forward costs a lot more - $200+ - so payback will be longer. Still worth doing, though.

Check the Comcast website for compatible modems.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Comcast has a data cap. It's quite a lot of data (1.2 TERAbytes per month IIRC) but if you need unlimited data, or download lots of large files like 4K movies or equiv of BluRays's , or watch loads of streaming 4K or have a streaming TV service instead of cable the only way to go is with their modem and their unlimited data package. Why might you need unlimited (or more than the data cap) ? Maybe if you have security cameras that stream with a decent resolution and/or stream to cloud 24/7 rather than only when someone is close by. If you have none of that buy your own modem/router just make sure you know what you are getting. Their mode WITH unlimited data is $25/month, data overage on your modem is $10 gig, unlimited data with YOUR modem is $30 month. Do the math.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I purchased the previous version of this one, NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem WiFi Router Combo. Runs about $200 new on Amazon. You can pick it up at Walmart as well.

Make sure you get the modem/router combo. I'm not sure I agree that it's easy to set up with Comcast. I actually took the device to the Comcast store so they could get all of the info in their system. When I got it home and hooked it up, I was not able to get it to function via their automated process, so I still had to call, and the person on the other end of the line didn't have the info that was supposedly input at the store.

I finally got it working, and it has been flawless since September 2021. At a $15 a month rental fee, it paid for itself at 14 months.

Another advantage, if it matters to you, is that with the Xfinity modem/router they allow Xfinity customers to access your wi fi without your password. You may notice that if you go to a business that uses Xfinity, and your phone automatically connects. Xfinity says that it is partitioned, so no risk of someone hacking you, but still. Here's an article I found that provides more detail, and it also has some router/modem recommendations, assuming the link works.

How to Opt Out of Comcast Using your Router as a Wi-Fi Hotspot
Old 02-09-2023, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,903 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Excellent article. Networking is a bit esoteric for the average person, as there is billions of dollars of equipment outside of your house which have an interdependent relationship with your house.

Basically, the network and your router create an unique internet destination address so that any packet from anywhere in the world with your address will get to your address. . . and the number of destinations is in the trillions . . . and the routers have to store all the addresses somewhere to send the packet to the correct destination, your house

So if you are technically inclined, buy your own. If you don't wish to play with the network, then rent the cable modem. However, if you are building your own house, then spec out ethernet drops throughout the house and in the central ceiling / attic as well for overhead wireless access points for better coverage higher up with less cement to go through. gives many options for future networking options
Old 02-09-2023, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

I have a separate modem and router. The modem almost never needs to be placed (it's a very simple device), but the router does need to be changed out due upgrades in speed and security.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Simplicity itself, and paid for itself in a year

Note, however, that some modems that currently work with Comcast won't from mid-March onwards, and the type you'll need going forward costs a lot more - $200+ - so payback will be longer. Still worth doing, though.

Check the Comcast website for compatible modems.
What is going to happen in mid-March that will affect how current modems work? Our $200 ASUS router from 2018 and $59. Motorola modem from 2019 have been doing a fine job so far.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Check the compatibility page on website at that time. They should be proactive and alert you in advance

A 55 dollar Arris purchased recently works fine
Old 02-09-2023, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
What is going to happen in mid-March that will affect how current modems work? Our $200 ASUS router from 2018 and $59. Motorola modem from 2019 have been doing a fine job so far.
Likely nothing. Router will never be an issue (to ComCrap) but some older modems have speed limits. If you are at or below the 200Mbps tier you'll have no issues. If you go above 300Mbps your modem MIGHT be an issue. I have read nothing about them sunsetting any modems that are DOCSIS 3 and above (circa 2006 or so) . It all depends on what speed tier you are using if your modem can handle it and obviously it is fine now. They keep jacking up their speeds for free so your modem could be limiting you but it likely doesn't matter to you.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:18 PM
Sage

Thanks. Our speed is only 100 mbs, so it likely won't matter.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I don't know the technicalities, but I've had two messages from Comcast about it:

Please replace your internet equipment

Take action to avoid a service interruption.

Due to expiration of a certificate on your equipment required for internet service, your internet equipment will no longer be compatible with our network after March 13, 2023. To avoid a service interruption, please replace your internet equipment with a compatible gateway or modem.

Visit My Device info to find a compatible gateway or modem you can purchase.

Please note, if you do not replace your internet equipment with a compatible gateway or modem, you will experience a service interruption and will lose access to the internet as early as March 13, 2023.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I don't know the technicalities, but I've had two messages from Comcast about it:

Please replace your internet equipment

Take action to avoid a service interruption.

Due to expiration of a certificate on your equipment required for internet service, your internet equipment will no longer be compatible with our network after March 13, 2023. To avoid a service interruption, please replace your internet equipment with a compatible gateway or modem.

Visit My Device info to find a compatible gateway or modem you can purchase.

Please note, if you do not replace your internet equipment with a compatible gateway or modem, you will experience a service interruption and will lose access to the internet as early as March 13, 2023.
Just found this page based on the message above.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-09-2023, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

I think I will continue to rent my modem from Xfinity. The rental cost is only 6 percent of my total Xfinity bill. They upgraded my modem after I increased my Internet speed to 800 mbps. Also, since I have their digital landline service, the modems that have a phone connection are more expensive than most modems. I like that I don't need to worry about losing service and Xfinity blaming the outage on my modem. Any issue that occurs is their problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
comcast, buy, box, complications, install

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.