Weather Alert Radios

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2007, 06:45 AM
Default Weather Alert Radios

I Am Thinking Of Purchasing A Weather Alert Radio And I Am Looking For Help As To The Best Products. Any Help From People Who Own One Would Be Appreciated. Ron.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Weather Alert Radios

Great question! I will be very interested in what others say!

Becky
Old 09-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Founder

I ordered two Midland weather radios from Amazon.com. They work perfectly and are exactly what I wanted. I have one in our bedroom and one in my office.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Platinum member

Does your radio go off for every little thing? We have a radio with a weather band we were using for awhile. It drove us crazy always going off for every little thing. It would wake us in the middle of the night for minor things. What is your radio like? Does it only go off for true emergencies?
Tampa, FL
Old 09-15-2007, 09:39 AM

Some other things you may want to consider is they now make models that have SAME technology. :bigthumbsup: See description below from NOAA: :cop:

SAME technology: SAME, or Specific Alert Message Encoding allows you to specify the particular area for which you wish to receive alerts. Most warnings and watches broadcast over NOAA Weather Radio are county- or independent city-based (parish-based in Louisiana), although in a few areas of the country the alerts are issued for portions of counties. Since most NWR transmitters are broadcasting for a number of counties, SAME receivers will respond only to alerts issued for the area (or areas) you have selected. This minimizes the number of “false alarms” for events which might be a few counties away from where you live.

Selectable alerting of events: While SAME allows you to specify a particular area of interest, some receivers allow you to turn off the alarm for certain events which might not be important to you. For example, if you live in a coastal county, but not right at the beach, you might not care about Coastal Flood Warnings.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 AM

I ordered a Midland radio from the company web site. It has all the features I want and the price was reasonable.

They have several models to select from depending on what you features you want/need for alerting.

I'm pleased with the product and its performance.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.