Community Watch

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213
Default Community Watch

It seems that we went off subject in a previous thread "Trash", but I am wondering how many people actually applaud the Community Watch for the daily efforts in patrolling the community, assisting residents in emergency and non emergency situations?

Or are the majority of residents leaning toward a few comments I have heard that they are negative about the role of the Community Watch and they dodge responsibilities and do a majority of their work for the developer?

I certainly praise these people who work hard to assist the developer and the citizens. You certainly can't please everyone in the community.

Who funds the Community Watch? I have been trying to find this information since some individuals believe we pay for their services? Is it in the County Tax/Budget or Amenities fees?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 PM

Tracey, they are employees of the CDD and I "assume" that their funding comes from tax dollars, although I do not know for certain. I do not believe there is any connection to the developer. They do an excellent job in my opinion!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Just to clarify ... the Community Watch is part of the VCDD, which is funded by the homeowners.
Just to give you a little information that you may or may not be aware of Tracy, the drivers work for minimum wage, $7.93 per hour. There are those who have regular shifts which run 8 hours per day, 4 days on, 4 days off. Before you can get to be a regular shift driver, you are usually a substitute driver, which means you are called to work at any time of the day or night, with little notice given at times. I personally could not ride around from midnight to 8:00am. I would fall asleep. But many do it and actually like it. The Community Watch does all kinds of task, from directing traffic, responding to complaints of the residents on all types of matters, looking for lost animals, trying to extinguish disagreements between residents, checking up on residents that have not been heard from by family not in the area, exterior home watch services, picking up debris in roadways, repairs to the gates which are hit so many times a day, aiding drivers with flat tires, even those who may be a little too intoxicated. I could go on ...
I personally like seeing the truck drive by my home, especially in the evening. They are always friendly and give a wave.
Although some do not like the Community Watch and feel they are just another expense to our community, I disagree. I think they do a great job and possibly deter crime just by their appearance.
Hats off to all the Community Watch drivers, gate keepers and those who serve our community.

Last edited by Phanatic Luvr; 02-07-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Sage

The Community Watch is funded out of the monthly amenity fee, not your annual CDD maintenance fee.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Thank you Villages07 for clarifying that for me. You are correct.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Sage

Not a particularly exciting job, but I'm curious to know what exactly they hope to accomplish while driving down the street where I live at 40mph, at least, and looking straight ahead.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 AM

I like to thank The Community Watch for being there and for all they do.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Sage

I personally want to thank these folks for their attention to our neighborhoods. I also applaud those folks who also are down at Colony directing traffic on a daily basis as well. It seems to have helped the flow from what I've experienced in going down there. Still see some "wacky" driving though....which amazes me.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Not a particularly exciting job, but I'm curious to know what exactly they hope to accomplish while driving down the street where I live at 40mph, at least, and looking straight ahead.
This is not what they do by my house.
You should call and talk to a supervisor with your complaint.
Posting that here accomplishes very little.

Community Watch Office - We at the Community Watch office are the organizational and directional hub of all services provided by this Division. We are open Monday - Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. and we ask that all residents with concerns contact our office for assistance. To contact us call 753-0550 -- our staff will be pleased to serve you.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,049 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalomuall View Post
I like to thank The Community Watch for being there and for all they do.
Bingo.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Sage

Community Watch is great! They notified me one evening that I had accidentally left my garagedoor open.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I've never seen Community Watch "driving down [my] street ... at 40mph, at least, and looking straight ahead." When you say "40mph, at least," mulligan, how much faster than 40mph would you estimate you've seen them go? As another poster suggested, you should definitely file a complaint from your neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
.... Just to give you a little information that you may or may not be aware of Tracy, the drivers work for minimum wage, $7.93 per hour. There are those who have regular shifts which run 8 hours per day, 4 days on, 4 days off. Before you can get to be a regular shift driver, you are usually a substitute driver, which means you are called to work at any time of the day or night, with little notice given at times. I personally could not ride around from midnight to 8:00am. I would fall asleep. But many do it and actually like it. The Community Watch does all kinds of task, from directing traffic, responding to complaints of the residents on all types of matters, looking for lost animals, trying to extinguish disagreements between residents, checking up on residents that have not been heard from by family not in the area, exterior home watch services, picking up debris in roadways, repairs to the gates which are hit so many times a day, aiding drivers with flat tires, even those who may be a little too intoxicated. I could go on ...
I personally like seeing the truck drive by my home, especially in the evening. They are always friendly and give a wave.
Although some do not like the Community Watch and feel they are just another expense to our community, I disagree. I think they do a great job and possibly deter crime just by their appearance.
Hats off to all the Community Watch drivers, gate keepers and those who serve our community.
I agree completely!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.