Community Watch does dog patrol

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Default Community Watch does dog patrol

Posters in other threads have questioned just what Community Watch does, serve the needs of the community or those of the developer.
Today I journeyed down to the Tamarind Grove neighborhood postal station to pick up my mail and found a Community Watch truck with a watch person going up to residents walking their dogs and informing them that this was no longer allowed in this area.
I asked for an explanation, and was told that this area was being used as a "dog park" and that the developer had received complaints. He said that this common area was the property of the developer and not the residents, and that henceforth no dogs would be allowed.
I responded that I had occasionally walked my dog there and that my realtor suggested this as a good place to walk dogs when we purchased our home 2 and a half years ago. He suggested I use the dog park on Bonita behind the fire station and I told him I'd been there and it was about the size of my CYV backyard. I suggested that if the developer wanted to restrict dogs on "common" areas, then perhaps he should consider adding a few more real dog parks.
While I was having this conversation two more Community Watch trucks pulled up to help with the patrol. Is this good way to be spending your amenity fees?????
Old 02-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,433 Posts

Yes.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Sage
This property belongs to the developer, and he can set whatever rules he wants on his property. On the other hand, he should advise the sales office of his new policy so that sales agents are no longer giving bogus information to perspective buyers.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Yes! As a dog lover I'm appalled at the number of people that don't pick up after their dogs and the number of people that do pick up, but then dump the waste in the trash cans at the mail center. It looks like the usual.....a few bad apples spoil it for the responsible ones.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
Yes! As a dog lover I'm appalled at the number of people that don't pick up after their dogs and the number of people that do pick up, but then dump the waste in the trash cans at the mail center. It looks like the usual.....a few bad apples spoil it for the responsible ones.
Totally agree, used to walk our dog through the area and it was like picking your through a mine field!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Sage

Like every time a rule like this is put forth, it's being done because too many dog owners have abused the privilege.....the privilege of using other people's land and lawns as a manure yard instead of their own.

Tamarind Grove's construction finished a long time ago (two years ago I'd guess), and so obviously this is not being done just so "the developer" can sell new homes there.

There are, however, homeowners who are trying or will try to sell their homes, and they deserve some consideration from their neighbors.

Taking buyers to the neighborhood pool-postal stations is one of the first things a home seller would do to illustrate how close and nice these facilities are. Dog piles and a steaming stench coming from the trash cans is not the impression sellers want to make.

Any of us selling our homes or taking our guests to the pool-postal facilities want our words to have meaning as we say how pristinely everything is kept here.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Posters in other threads have questioned just what Community Watch does, serve the needs of the community or those of the developer.
Today I journeyed down to the Tamarind Grove neighborhood postal station to pick up my mail and found a Community Watch truck with a watch person going up to residents walking their dogs and informing them that this was no longer allowed in this area.
I asked for an explanation, and was told that this area was being used as a "dog park" and that the developer had received complaints. He said that this common area was the property of the developer and not the residents, and that henceforth no dogs would be allowed.
I responded that I had occasionally walked my dog there and that my realtor suggested this as a good place to walk dogs when we purchased our home 2 and a half years ago. He suggested I use the dog park on Bonita behind the fire station and I told him I'd been there and it was about the size of my CYV backyard. I suggested that if the developer wanted to restrict dogs on "common" areas, then perhaps he should consider adding a few more real dog parks.
While I was having this conversation two more Community Watch trucks pulled up to help with the patrol. Is this good way to be spending your amenity fees?????
Some postal areas' people will pick up their dog poop. Unless I forget my bags, I will scoop up mine as well as other canine droppings. All kinds of other animals deposit their stuff at the postal stations from birds to snakes to coyotes to rabbits.

I have been to Bonita Dog park and agree that it is the worst planned dog park in the Villages as it is at a steep sloop on the small dog park section and is quite small. You have to watch out for stepping in existing dog feces while trying to pick up your own while also watching out for the safety of your pet as not all dogs visiting there are friendly and some just like to assert their authority.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Platinum member

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

it is not a good use of their time at all.

Put up a sign and allow citizen reports of violators. Report to who? I don't know!

Start a citizen's patrol.

When you see neighbor violating the rule...call them on it ( I know in today's society that is unlikely to hapen)...but I do! And I get some interesting responses.

I too am a dog owner. My dogs usual spot to do het busienss is my property and I pick up every one of her poops.
When we walk, every day, 2-3 miles on the multi modal paths, if and when she makes a deposit I pick it up.

There is absolutely no reason why the non responsible dog owners cannot do the same. If not they should not have a dog.

And if they don't and I witness it I tell them right then and there!!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
These poop threads do seem amusing. The Villages Daily Sun has seemed of late to have gone all out on the theme of happy Villagers and their pets out playing in all kinds of weather and at all kinds of events. Pets poop. People should have the courtesy of picking up after their charges and taking it home with them.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Some postal areas' people will pick up their dog poop. Unless I forget my bags, I will scoop up mine as well as other canine droppings. All kinds of other animals deposit their stuff at the postal stations from birds to snakes to coyotes to rabbits.

I have been to Bonita Dog park and agree that it is the worst planned dog park in the Villages as it is at a steep sloop on the small dog park section and is quite small. You have to watch out for stepping in existing dog feces while trying to pick up your own while also watching out for the safety of your pet as not all dogs visiting there are friendly and some just like to assert their authority.
Probably the same dog owners who leave their dog's droppings at the mail station.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
These poop threads do seem amusing. The Villages Daily Sun has seemed of late to have gone all out on the theme of happy Villagers and their pets out playing in all kinds of weather and at all kinds of events. Pets poop. People should have the courtesy of picking up after their charges and taking it home with them.

I believe that is the real story here.
People and courtesy.
What ever happened to common decency? Are manners no longer part of US culture?

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Sage
It is possible that community watch will only be involved for a month or two until the word gets out about this rule change. After that, signs could be posted and violations would be complaint driven only. This new policy should apply to all villages equally.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Totally agree, used to walk our dog through the area and it was like picking your through a mine field!
I walk through that area at least twice a week and rarely (once or twice in two years) have seen dog droppings. A lot of exaggeration on this board.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM

I do not consider this to be another "dog poop" thread.
I am a resident of the village of Tamarind Grove and visit the neighborhood pool and postal station frequently, and walk my dog there on occasion. In my experience it is quite unusual to encounter dog poop left on the ground by others. I do talk to other dog walkers and have found many who do not even live in the area but bring their dogs to this particular place to walk.
So why would someone from Hemingway bring their dog way over to Tamarind Grove for a walk. Partly because this area is much larger than the typical neighborhood postal station and is shaded by large oak trees. But the MAIN reason is that there are few other available options. There is only one dog park south of 466, and it is so small and poorly placed as to be totally inadequate. It was obviously added as an afterthought by the developer. (this land can't be sold as a home site or rented out as commercial property, so lets fence it in and call it a dog park) In addition the entire "new" area south of 466A contains not one square foot designated for use by dog owners.
The recreational activities of other home owners seem to be adequately addressed. Why not those of dog owners?
So lets call this a dog park thread, not a dog poop thread.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.