Community Watch overstepping "authority"?

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Community Watch overstepping "authority"?

Last night, New Years eve, the wife and I drove through Lake Sumter square lookin for a place to park. I see a car to my right with the passenger just entering and their lights turn on. It's in a parallel parking spot. I stop and put my right turn signal on and wait. I see that Community Watch in his little pickup is right behind me. Of course the driver leaving is taking forever to pull out. I'm getting impatient but the wife says "stay stay, they'll leave! At that point, Community Watch guy walks up to my window and says, "what are you waiting for, you're going to cause an accident." His tone was somewhat condescending and confrontational. I said "didn't you see my turn signal and this car here is ready to pull out. I'm trying to park. Why don't you go around me." My wife is jawing something to the guy, I'm not hearing anything she's saying. Just then, my brother-in-law is coming from ahead, the opposite direction and jokingly yells out his window, "hey, move along, you're blocking traffic." Watch guy says, "see, you're going to cause an accident!" I tell him, that's my brother-in-law!!! I didn't tell him he's a Florida State Trooper.

I saw an incident that happened awhile back at the square during an event. Can't remember which one. I'm standing in line to buy some food. A guy walking with his bicycle goes by me, and, a Community Watch/Event Staff guy. The Staff guy must have grabbed this bike guy's arm to tell him he can't have a bicycle in the square. Well, the bike guy swirls around and smacks the Staff guy and they trade a few jabs. I couldn't believe it! The bike guy just walks away as Staff guy gets on his radio and follows him. Don't know what happened after that.

My question to my esteemed fellow TOTVers, how much power should these Watch guys have? Shouldn't they just be "watching?"

I could get into Florida's Castle Doctrine in reference to when Watch guy came up to my car window, but I won't go there.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
I tell him, that's my brother-in-law!!! I didn't tell him he's a Florida State Trooper.
Maybe you should have...........
Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Gold member
Default Ohhhhhhh No here we go!

STOP I have a MALE MEMBER, flashlight and a Badge. " Movie Night AT the Museum comes to mind!

He maybe be packing Heat! Or just BORED from driving around in circles all night! Procede with care.

Poor guy just doing his job. You could have threw the hood up on your car and played it stalled- Can you get Help get it started.

Sorry NY Sky got Gray again depression moving in

Honestly this has happened to us. Worst for me was on a plane having to go pee BAD and the Stu said sit down were landing. I said good I'll just be stadning here peeing! Next thing I know Mr. Sky Marshall is giving me parachute lessons!

You have to vent thinking out both sides of the issue. Understand your wanting to vent! AND fustrations

Happy New Year ! At least your in TV not Dodging Snow Plows with HUGE WINGS!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

CarGuys, you're too much !!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Its even better when i am running at 3am and they stop and ask me what am i doing in this neighborhood? REALLY? Then ask me if i am lost and am i visiting my parents, because if we live here we must not be in good enough shape to be up at 3am much less running.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I guess they are damed if they do and damed if they don't.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Sorry NY Sky got Gray again depression moving in
Excuuuse me! But I'm not getting depressed and I'm no where near my former home in NY thank you very much! The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Gold member

I know a community watch guy at LSL. He says they are not allowed to interfere even if a fight takes place. Use the radio and observe.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Default community watch

I'm glad they talk with people that are obstructing traffic and stop people during early morning hours in our neighborhoods. I'm not positive, but I think that's what we pay them for.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Sage

I don't know about the Watch guys, but I have see two golf cart drivers at Spanish Springs who do not know how a car driver parks in a parallel parking space--by backing into it!

I was trying to parallel park on the street in front of Cal's. I pulled up beside the car ahead of the empty space, put on my right turn signal, put the car in reverse, and immediately a golf cart pulled up right onto my tail. I could not back up into the space because he was about 3 feet behind my bumper. I motioned that I was trying to back into the space, but they stayed on my tail and would not go around or give me space to back up.

So, I pulled forward thinking I'd give up the space. A few spaces ahead, there was another open space. I pulled up beside the car ahead of it, turn on my right signal, put the car in reverse, and ANOTHER golf cart driver pulled up onto my tail so I could not back up. They didn't get it either!!

So I left that street and parked elsewhere. We checked the backup tail lights on our car, and they work. The sun was not a factor. This was aggravating.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Default Badges and Bullies

Badges and Bullies both start with a B. Coincidence - I think not. I think they need to be the watch group.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I don't know about the Watch guys, but I have see two golf cart drivers at Spanish Springs who do not know how a car driver parks in a parallel parking space--by backing into it!

I was trying to parallel park on the street in front of Cal's. I pulled up beside the car ahead of the empty space, put on my right turn signal, put the car in reverse, and immediately a golf cart pulled up right onto my tail. I could not back up into the space because he was about 3 feet behind my bumper. I motioned that I was trying to back into the space, but they stayed on my tail and would not go around or give me space to back up.

So, I pulled forward thinking I'd give up the space. A few spaces ahead, there was another open space. I pulled up beside the car ahead of it, turn on my right signal, put the car in reverse, and ANOTHER golf cart driver pulled up onto my tail so I could not back up. They didn't get it either!!

So I left that street and parked elsewhere. We checked the backup tail lights on our car, and they work. The sun was not a factor. This was aggravating.
That is enough to tick ya off! If you have someone riding with you in a similar situation where there's a heavy demand on the parking spaces, you might try pulling up parallel to the parking space then have the other person get out and position themselves to prevent some airhead from trying to steal your spot while you finish the parking. There were a number of times when I was younger that I wished I had a key to open the tire valves on inconsiderate people like that!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 01-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg441 View Post
I'm glad they talk with people that are obstructing traffic and stop people during early morning hours in our neighborhoods. I'm not positive, but I think that's what we pay them for.
and I am in favor of keeping the gates and gate keepers-so there, I've said it and I'm glad
Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
and I am in favor of keeping the gates and gate keepers-so there, I've said it and I'm glad
ggggasp!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Location: Currently in New Freedom PA. 2012, A Village of Sanibel resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

Yo should have backed up. Slowly of course. Maybe they would get the message and go around. Then again, it is Sunday. I know, it means nothing but that is how some people think. Good Luck next time.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.