Condensation on windows / soaked window sills

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 AM

Don't believe sweating is allowed in the Villages, I'm sure there are rules about that.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladila2 View Post
Yep! Rango has got the answer. Cheap windows are the primary cause of these condensation problems. Metal sweats due to temp differentials. In rushing cold air contacting the warmer air inside the home equates to condensation, similar to Mother Nature and the precip cycle. If these windows were installed up north the manufacturer would go O-O-B in a matter of months. Vinyl clad windows have replaced the cheaper aluminum framed windows. You can feel the air (drafts) when you place your hand near the window frame. I owned a large business heat/cooling efficiency and this was indeed the major culprit. Good luck to all who are experiencing this situation and pray for warmer days.
But the aluminum windows will stand up much better in the Florida climate.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I was thinking this morning that heat rises and the registers are in the ceiling, that is because cold falls, and it is warm here most of the time and we need air conditioning more than heat.

Having cold conditions that cause condensation inside of our windows here probably happens less than five days in a year.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Sage

Don't forget if you reverse the direction your fan is blowing it will bring that warm air down into the room. But like Gracie said we have so few days to deal with this - is it worth the effort?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Don't forget if you reverse the direction your fan is blowing it will bring that warm air down into the room. But like Gracie said we have so few days to deal with this - is it worth the effort?

How do you do that Go?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Sage

No registers on floors because houses are built on concrete slabs. Even in CA our houses had heating vents high on the walls or ceilings.

Brrrr....this is one of those few cold days for sure!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Gracie - these is a switch - usually on the top of the housing that you move and it will reverse the direction. It's difficult 'cause you have to get up on a ladder to do that which is why it is probably not worth the effort here.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Gold member

I have noticed the condensation more on windows that are in the direct path of the ventilation flow. Our front bedroom is on the North face of the house and I can feel the warm air from the ventilation dump when I stand in front of those windows. These are the only windows that I find condensation present. The warm air hitting those windows is probably causing the condensation.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Default Ours too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
I woke up this morning to find all of our windows and window sills soaked with condensation. (I had to use two large towels to dry off all the sills.) Has anyone else experienced this in their home? Our house is brand new.
Thanks!
Yesterday I was closing the blinds in the bedroom and noticed beads of water on the windows. This prompted me to check all the other windows & they were all dry including the new one they put in a couple months ago. The only wet windows were in the bathroom, master & one guest bedroom. Our home is 8 months old so will contact the warranty department. I took photos so I will be able to show the warranty department. The sliders and all windows in the main part of our home are dry.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
I woke up this morning to find all of our windows and window sills soaked with condensation. (I had to use two large towels to dry off all the sills.) Has anyone else experienced this in their home? Our house is brand new.
Thanks!
Called non insulated cheap windows the highest quality window the builder was allowed to use
Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but here our houses are on a slab ot concrete and that takes a long time to completly dry.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Sage

Concrete cures 100% in 28 days. Always.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 PM

Now you know why some houses have that "fancy marble" window sill...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.