Is connectivity to south of SR44 slipping again?

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2019, 09:04 AM

I am amazed at two things.
1. How quickly tings are moving.
2. How some seem to always be negative.
I think they don't want golf carts in the way as they build their way to 44. You know there will be a lot of us who will want to take that ride "just to see". With dump trucks zooming all over the place the last thing needed is a bunch of golf carts getting in the way.
I bought here in MAy of 2016 and am still loving it. No complaints from me.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:06 AM

Nice perspective
Old 12-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Probably to boost the values of the houses being built with "golf course views". Who designs these layouts? Even the Lowlands executive course was designed to provide more lots with "golf course views". Boring course design for the sale of lots with "golf course views". Play 3 holes, then walk down to the next neighborhood. Play 3 more, then walk back to another neighborhood. Yes, things have changed, but still a great place to escape the snow and ice.

Actually it's a GREAT PLACE TO LIVE..... even with having to put up with people who use it as a golf or vacation destination.

Note to self: Add golf course design to list of things people want to be in charge of. Boy the list gets longer everyday.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think that their were times that the developer may have financially overextended in the past. I have no proof of it, but it stands to reason. It may have been the time right before the "group" sued them for what I think was exaggerated reasons.

The developers have built this place and extended this place, using their own money, time and time again, risking their own money to build and buy and pay bills and they have done it in such a way that government money was not asked for, or needed. I consider it a monument to Free Enterprise.

My bet is on their continued good judgement and wise planning. They do NOT seek fanfair, any of them. They will be seen in their selling videos and viewed at "The State of the Villages" at the Sharon if you get up early enough to get in line for the free tickets.

They are good business people as they keep their cards close to their vests and don't broadcast their plans much. They have had loyal employees and builders and staff that has been with them for a long time. Some of that will change and my hope is that they will continue to find dedicated people .

They are very, very, very, wealthy and have always been very hardworking and smart and must see a dream of a successful large area populated by senior citizens, well run and beautiful that the world has never seen before, and all built by a private business. They must enjoy seeing the economic success of the surrounding counties and the businesses that are attracted and enjoyed by the residents both in and out of The Villages.

My money is on them continuing to be successful and for others following us to continue enjoying this amazing place.

NO. I don't get paid.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

One thing that is nice about the newer areas is they are closer to Leesburg. I live near the new Trailwinds plaza where Lowes, Aldis, ABC Liquor and a new Publix is under construction. From my house to what is left of Lake Square Mall is 17 miles. Not that far really, maybe half an hour with the traffic.

Yesterday I took a bunch of golf stuff I wasn't using, really taking up space in the garage, to Play It Again Sports and got $245. Within a 1/2 mile of that store is Olive Garden, Red Lobster and Outback where we ate. From the new area it's probably not much more than going up to Lady Lake area. Something you might think about. They also have a Kohls, Chilis, and all the other usual chains.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

When the connection happens, it happens. I do not understand that the “northerners” are creating issues concerning connectivity. There would have to be a good reason to go south. Whenever I have gone, it is mostly to look around at the building and not much more. Most shopping is in the northern portions because that is where most of the people are. I am happy to see, after five years, that Brownwood is finally filling out but it has been a long time coming. If you need to go somewhere, take the car.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:15 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Yes, The Villages has grown quit a bit in the last 16 years since HS left us, but don't think this wasn't all a part of his plans. Watch this video The Building of Brownwood - Exciting Construction Plans - YouTube and they talk about the Brownwood location being known before any home was build south of CR466 (not CR466A). This significantly predates HS's death and without a doubt is clear that the current growth was greatly influenced by both HS and GM. They well knew in the late 90's that The Villages would grow beyond SR44 and farther south as we see it today. You don't invest $100+ million in a premier commercial district only to put it on the fringe of your target customers, you put it right smack in the middle of your customer base (as we are now seeing this to be true). If SR44 was to be the end of The Villages then Brownwood would have been built were the Truman and Roosevelt golf courses are located today.

Unfortunately, most good things usually come to an end, normally the demise is due to abuse. Katie Belles is a prime example of this, it wasn't a private and free attraction, it was a business and businesses have to make money to continue to be viable. The few times I went there for dinner there were a large number of people camping out there having an ice tea or water and taking up a table for hours on end, not spending any money and enjoying the free entertainment that was anything but free to the proprietor. They can't make money with this type of entitled abuse and they can't stay in business. Hence the change in business model. The country clubs suffer for the same syndrome, one has already closed its doors for the same reason, how many more will follow?

By the way, in the business world, it's called a $1 million investment not a donation.
They spent, as you said, millions developing Brownwood and as I watched it’s development it didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure plans were already made to go south of State Route 44. We are in our 13th year of living in The Villages. It’s been a great active lifestyle living here. Change is inevitable and as we age there is a natural tendency to want “things” to stay the same. After 13 years, I say everything is still all right with The Villages. In my opinion The Villages is better today than it was when we first landed here. “In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong”. Anonymous
Old 12-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I agree, no one is forcing me to go to the Villages south. Unfortunately, the lack of Championship Golf south of 44 is forcing the southern villagers to go north to golf, making the courses more crowded and more difficult to get good t times during the busy season.
This is hogwash. I just looked at the Thursday open tee times...just between 8:00AM & noon....45+. There were that may more at other times during the day.
Don't know what a good tee time really means.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 AM

We live in McClure and can't wait for golf cart connectivity. We want to be able to head to the centers and businesses via golf cart and be able to meet people that don't live on the island. It would feel more inclusive also.

As far as timing goes: If at all possible, I believe it's very important that organizations hold true to their word in order to maintain a foundation of trust. If you communicate a plan then make it happen.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:06 AM

How about Championship Golf Courses? Are they going to build the same amount south of 44 that are north of 44? Don't hold your breath for that one, you'll be waiting weeks to get tee times and what's next? Charging for executive courses? Oh and the new rates should be coming out soon for Jan-April.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:07 AM

In reference to comments about connection from south to north here. Promises are never written in stone. Also I'm realizing that once the south are able to go north, Brownwood will become another Sumter and with all the building here taking up parking where is everyone going to park. Are the Villages becoming more about making money and our happiness a second thought.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine701 View Post
How about Championship Golf Courses? Are they going to build the same amount south of 44 that are north of 44? Don't hold your breath for that one, you'll be waiting weeks to get tee times and what's next? Charging for executive courses? Oh and the new rates should be coming out soon for Jan-April.
Posted yesterday! Post #4 Golf Rates for 2020
Old 12-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Nope, there likely won’t be that many Championship Courses south of 44. Why? Statistics show fewer golfers now and in future years. Public and private courses across the country have been closing in alarming numbers. USGA has been promoting playing nine holes and shorter yardage golf courses.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default rates

Quote:
The 2020 green fees have been posted.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Nope, there likely won’t be that many Championship Courses south of 44. Why? Statistics show fewer golfers now and in future years. Public and private courses across the country have been closing in alarming numbers. USGA has been promoting playing nine holes and shorter yardage golf courses.
How dare you post facts that go against what the haters want.
Closed Thread

Tags
connectivity, date, year, villages, level

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.