considering stackable washer/dryer

Old 01-27-2024, 07:47 AM
Default considering stackable washer/dryer

I'm considering switching to stackable as my washing machine is on it's last leg. My w/d is located in an el cove off the garage. Does a new dryer vent hole have to installed because the dryer is located over the washer? The current location is aprox 12'' above the floor. Also it's several feet from the water lines and drain pipe. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 01-27-2024, 08:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

No you don't have to instal a new dryer vent hole. The installets will run a flex pipe to it.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:04 AM

We had a stacked Samsung at our last house. Loved it! It reduces the amount of bending you will need to do. It also frees up space.

You will not need to move the vent pipe. However, I’d recommend buying a rigid vent pipe that has a dedicated 90 degree angle vs. a bend. think I got it on Amazon, it’s designed specifically for minimum space behind unit. I’d also recommend stainless steel hoses vs rubber.

The distance should not be an issue if you have good water pressure, which you should have. I’d also recommend cleaning out your dryer exhaust vent (leaf blower or brush) while you have easy access to that area.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

We have a Frigidaire stacked unit. We did not need any modifications to the vent.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:55 AM
Gold member

I also had a Frigidaire stacked unit, having the dryer at eye level is a convenience. Also, like other posters, no new vent opening, just maybe slightly longer vent tubing.
Old 01-27-2024, 01:25 PM

Im on the other side of this one. We are coming from a stackable to a full sized. I will never go stackable again! Too small! Cant fit nearly as much clothes. Yes, you can make due. But no big bed clothes whatsoever. We love our new whirlpool full sized! Plus the new ones spin the clothes so fast they are basically dry coming out! Also dont forget when one breaks they are connected so its a mega pain to work on and have to replace entire unit if only one goes bad! Ask me how i know…If you absolutely must get a stackable, speed queen makes a good one that will last. The others are just ok.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:18 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

We replaced our small stackable unit with this LG full size unit in our condo in Hudson. We had to reposition water lines because of space limitations but no change to the vent line. My wife liked the placement of all controls for easy reach.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3906.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	102500  
Old 01-27-2024, 06:28 PM
Veteran member

Our Frigidaire combo seems full size or close to it - 3.9 cu. ft. Washer and 5.6 cu. ft. Gas Dryer
Old 01-27-2024, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

If it was me I’d get simple washer, the simpler the better, electronics digital appliances are too expensive, to expensive to repair if they can without exceeding the original price. It’s just washing machine to wash cloths. But that’s me I don’t have to have the latest and greatest.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
We replaced our small stackable unit with this LG full size unit in our condo in Hudson. We had to reposition water lines because of space limitations but no change to the vent line. My wife liked the placement of all controls for easy reach.

I had bad experience with LG, couldn’t give me an LG anything.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I also had a Frigidaire stacked unit, having the dryer at eye level is a convenience. Also, like other posters, no new vent opening, just maybe slightly longer vent tubing.
I hope not talking about the cheap plastic vent ducts. Disaster waiting to happen unless you are very preventative maintenance person?
Old 01-28-2024, 04:38 AM
Veteran member

If this is an issue of saving room, there is all in one washer/dryers. I don't know anything about them, but maybe it's worth a look.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinSanto View Post
I'm considering switching to stackable as my washing machine is on it's last leg. My w/d is located in an el cove off the garage. Does a new dryer vent hole have to installed because the dryer is located over the washer? The current location is aprox 12'' above the floor. Also it's several feet from the water lines and drain pipe. Anyone have experience with this?

We installed our full size as a stackable. I love it! I have so much room. I’m guessing if you are shorter than 5’6”, the dryer setting will be hard to reach so you just have to think about the tall reach.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9910.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	102502  
Old 01-28-2024, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizhi View Post
We installed our full size as a stackable. I love it! I have so much room. I’m guessing if you are shorter than 5’6”, the dryer setting will be hard to reach so you just have to think about the tall reach.
I like the surface that side by side appliances provide so I have a work surface. That surface is not only for sorting clothes but for folding too not to mention other projects I get myself into.

When we purchased our current home, the washer/dryer were on pedestals. I could not reach the cabinet doors that were above the appliances without a step stool. That did not work for me so I had the pedestals removed.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
If this is an issue of saving room, there is all in one washer/dryers. I don't know anything about them, but maybe it's worth a look.
Our GE washer has all in one feature. Have used it twice for super small load. Worked well, and no complaints, but this W/D set can do everything WiFi.
Last week I threw in sheets programming to wash then dry at certain time, went to dinner. Finished near bedtime, Warm sheets on a cool night is very appealing for some

Tags
stackable, located, dryer, washing, feet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.