considering stackable washer/dryer

Old 01-28-2024, 07:22 AM
Default Laundry Machine Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinSanto View Post
I'm considering switching to stackable as my washing machine is on it's last leg. My w/d is located in an el cove off the garage. Does a new dryer vent hole have to installed because the dryer is located over the washer? The current location is aprox 12'' above the floor. Also it's several feet from the water lines and drain pipe. Anyone have experience with this?
Having retired from a 40 year career in the appliance industry (Maytag, Whirlpool, Electrolux/Frigidaire), here are a few suggestions that may offer some benefit to you in making your decision. There are all-in-one units called Laundry Centers offered by the major manufacturers. There is typically one model per brand, but there may be color options. These are reasonably good machines, with a few limitations regarding capacity, colors, control placement. The option preferred by others is to buy full size units in which the dryer can be stacked above the washer. This provides the largest capacity as well as features, color, and brand choices. Additional considerations are whether to choose a Laundry Center with a top-loading washer vs a front loading washer. The top-loader provides easy access to the clothes without bending much, but is less water efficient and provides generally rougher physical action for the fabrics. Many of these are unable to handle king size bed linens effectively. Front load washers provide greater efficiency, soil removing capability, and gentler treatment of the fabrics. Whatever configuration that you choose, you might consider brands in the following order, based on their known performance, reliability, and availability of repair service. First choice in Electrolux as it has for years topped the industry in cleaning performance. Second would be Whirlpool as these machines provide good results and have a significant service network available. The final choice (in my opinion) would be LG, as they have made the commitment to improved reliability and increasing their reach in service capability. The installation concern can be addressed as many previous responders have indicated, so determine what works best for you, and Happy Shopping!
Old 01-28-2024, 08:30 AM

Check out the new All-in-one units at Home Depot… they are also ventless. Great for just two person family.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:19 AM
Veteran member

It recently occurred to me how much extra storage space I would have in my garage had I opted for a stacked unit. When one of my machines go I will definitely be switching
Old 01-28-2024, 10:19 AM
Default Repair Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinSanto View Post
I'm considering switching to stackable as my washing machine is on it's last leg. My w/d is located in an el cove off the garage. Does a new dryer vent hole have to installed because the dryer is located over the washer? The current location is aprox 12'' above the floor. Also it's several feet from the water lines and drain pipe. Anyone have experience with this?
Keep in mind that if the bottom machine ever needs repair you may have to unstack them. I had warranty work done. The repair was covered. The unstacking and restacking not covered.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:51 AM

I have the GE Profile washer/dryer combo & it's awesome! One machine that washes AND dries. Takes up the space of one machine. It's electric (so I capped off my gas connection) & the other beauty is you don't need a lint vent to the outside because it's self-contained. I was able to also cap off my lint vent so no more hiring someone every year or two to clean it.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:27 PM

Great information from all. I thank you. What I will do is visit everyone that sells these appliances and look at the laundry centers first. I'm intrigued by the concept. I will also have to do my own research. Maybe consumer reports has some info for me. I appreciate the input, thanks again.

Tags
stackable, located, dryer, washing, feet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.