Embarq outage or my foul up

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Eternal Member
Default Embarq outage or my foul up

I'm afraid I know what the answer is going to be, but is anyone else experiencing an Embarq telephone outage this afternoon. Liberty Park area. I'm getting no dial tone.

Of course, if I had a cell phone, I'd call Embarq, but I really, really hate even the concept of cell phones.

Please someone tell me that this wonderful rain has knocked out the phone. I could live with that.

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Sage

Muncle...I'm about 2 miles northeast of you and my embarq landline is working fine. Sorry 'bout that.

Make sure you don't have one of your phone extensions off the hook somewhere in the house.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle View Post
I'm afraid I know what the answer is going to be, but is anyone else experiencing an Embarq telephone outage this afternoon. Liberty Park area. I'm getting no dial tone.

Of course, if I had a cell phone, I'd call Embarq, but I really, really hate even the concept of cell phones.

Please someone tell me that this wonderful rain has knocked out the phone. I could live with that.
`
Uncle Muncle, did you remember to pay the bill????

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Eternal Member

Yeah, I'm current on the bill. In fact, I'm such a great Embarq phone customer that they called a week or two ago to inform me that I was getting a $10.00 per month discount for 3 months sometime soon. They didn't mention cutting off my service.

My neighbors' service is okay, so I guess it's something wrong with my internal -- cables and instruments, not liver and intestines. Later, I'll unhook everything and reconnect a piece at a time. Wish I could remember where I put that 20 year old cheapo phone that I used too keep for power outages. It's great to move around the RJ-11 jacks to check connectivity.

Life's a bi , but thanx for the help and kind thoughts, 07 & Kath.

`
Old 05-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Hi Muncie,

We have Embarq internet and two phone lines in Bonita. All are well. We have a "basic" phone just in case. We could run it over if you need it.

k
Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

muncle, lets talk about this phobia about cell phones..............they're not all that bad.....really......GN
Old 05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Default Not a phobia .........

Don't know about a phobia just never have a need. My Grandfather never had a cell phone, my Father never had a cell phone and I don't have/need one. I did rescind to the Mrs to have a answering machine though.
As my Dad once said, the concept is very simple. 1) you call, no answer 2) no answer, we are not home 3) we are not home, call back later. Not that hard to figure out.
Plus I dispise people who yak on those darn things while driving and in restuarants. Not only dangerous, but very ill-mannered.

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Eternal Member
Default Cell phone distaste/disgust/hatred/etc.

Cell phones have a real purpose for many business people, but I resent the current attitude that all people must be reachable at all times. If I decide to take a short Sunday drive-about, I don't want it disturbed by phone calls regardless of how well meaning. Call my home phone and leave a voice mail. And why must people (women) feel the urge to always be on the phone? Are they afraid that without this crutch, they might actually have to reflect on something in their lives? And golf courses --- you're on an exec course and your playing partner has to talk to the spouse three times. Dammit, they saw each other an hour previously and will see each other again in an hour. Anything less critical than a missing limb, impending birth, or a house fire can wait. Cell phones at Publix serve a purpose. Many a husband is faced with the quandary of not being exactly sure what to buy and dreads the aftermath if he comes home with Acme Olive Oil and she only uses Blendex Oil, Extra, Extra, Extra Virgin. Let the poor sap call home. But if you have to discuss everything on the shopping list and get directions as to what aisle has the baked beans, let her do the shopping or at least bring her along. And PLEASE,, everyone, put the accursed thing away before you get in line. Those of us captured around you don't care about your luncheon or your landscaper or your sister's hysterectomy.

I could also get into kids and their cell phone jones, or drivers ignoring the world, or phones ringing at improper times, but this is more about why "I" don't use one. Unless I'm going to be away for more than 4-6 hours, nothing is so critical that a voice mail can't cover it. I'll be home soon and get the message. I do kinda like the concept of the prepaid phone and may get one for my car in case of actual emergencies. And I'll definitely get one before my next 5000 mile drive-about or even a trip to DC, KC, or Connecticut. Common sense. But I won't have one for everyday life in TV.

And if you disagree with me, you, Sir are worse than Hitler.

Tomorrow, we can get into the ultimate curse of modern technology, a real child of Satan, call interrupt.

Oh, back on topic, I borrowed someone's cell phone and called Embarq. They're sending a tech to review the problem. And yes, I get the irony.

`

Last edited by Muncle; 05-20-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRMnLgs View Post
Don't know about a phobia just never have a need. My Grandfather never had a cell phone, my Father never had a cell phone and I don't have/need one. I did rescind to the Mrs to have a answering machine though.
As my Dad once said, the concept is very simple. 1) you call, no answer 2) no answer, we are not home 3) we are not home, call back later. Not that hard to figure out.
Plus I dispise people who yak on those darn things while driving and in restuarants. Not only dangerous, but very ill-mannered.
Who's internet are you using?

Yoda
Old 05-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Sage

muncle... I hear ya; I'm a cell phone minimalist but do recognize the times and situations when they are most helpful (making connections at an airport, out on the road and have to get a message home, etc)

I have had pre-paid tracfone for years; for approx $100/year you have national cell phone service and approx 400 mins (which should be enough to last you a year); unused minutes carry over to the next year; for essentially $8/month (same as the tee time system cost) you can have cell phone service.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I'm a cell phone minimalist but do recognize the times and situations when they are most helpful (making connections at an airport, .....
In fact, if you're driving to Orlando Intl. airport on the south access road, there's a free praking lot about a mile from the terminals that has a sign that says something like "Cell phone waiting area".

I used that last month when picking someone up. They called me when they had retrieved their bags and I pulled up just as they were coming out of the terminal door.

Cuts down on unnecessary congestion at the terminals.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.