Converting change to bills

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the Coinstar machines will allow you to set up a special account with Amazon and give you 100 percent credit that can be used on Amazon.com. But, apparently, it won't give you credit on your regular Amazon account.
We got credit at Lowe's, it was like Christmas for me, $270.00 !!!!
Old 02-13-2021, 02:10 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
I don't have a bank in Fla yet, but maybe a local credit union would be the only place that would do it. Any of the big or commercial banks will charge, even if you have an account with them.
Tried our local CU, Insight. They said "no", they would not, a little disappointing since we had deposited a substantial amount with them when we chose them, but business is business and don't expect any special treatment ! Ended up with several large containers thrown in the trunk and took to grand kids... LOL ! FYI, was also refused request for $50 NEW one dollar bills to hand out at Christmas, seems they don't fill any requests for NEW bills..... the "old idea" of a CU is out these days I think, more like a bank now. Oh well
Old 02-13-2021, 02:14 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flflowers View Post
We got credit at Lowe's, it was like Christmas for me, $270.00 !!!!
So, details ? Where are these/this machine located ? And, to get credit for your coins for a store such as Lowes, do you get an actual gift card back ? Or, how do you know and prove what credit you have ? Are there a variety of stores to choose your "credit" ? Kind of sad, was such a good way to begin kids saving, just the act of taking the coins to the bank was a valuable experience, and good public relations for the bank !
Old 02-13-2021, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Tried our local CU, Insight. They said "no", they would not, a little disappointing since we had deposited a substantial amount with them when we chose them, but business is business and don't expect any special treatment ! Ended up with several large containers thrown in the trunk and took to grand kids... LOL ! FYI, was also refused request for $50 NEW one dollar bills to hand out at Christmas, seems they don't fill any requests for NEW bills..... the "old idea" of a CU is out these days I think, more like a bank now. Oh well
I hate carrying dollar bills so always get two dollar bills from the bank. Since very few people use them they are always new and crisp. I also carry a couple dollar coins which then requires math to round up

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-13-2021, 03:23 PM
Default Loose Change

We put our loose change in plastic Easter eggs and hide them when the grandkids visit.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,729 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
So, details ? Where are these/this machine located ? And, to get credit for your coins for a store such as Lowes, do you get an actual gift card back ? Or, how do you know and prove what credit you have ? Are there a variety of stores to choose your "credit" ? Kind of sad, was such a good way to begin kids saving, just the act of taking the coins to the bank was a valuable experience, and good public relations for the bank !
The CoinStar machine at Winn Dixie in Pinellas Plaza will provide Amazon credit, but I don't know about credit for Lowes.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:54 PM

The credit union on 466 A . But you have to be a member
Old 02-13-2021, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I like rolling the coins up myself, so that's what I do. And then, I spend the rolls. It's legal tender - as long as a cashier accepts cash (some are card-only these days), they have to accept yours. They can make you unroll it, but they usually won't. Or they might ask the manager for permission to accept it rolled up, which is an extra minute of time. I can wait an extra minute.

It's definitely more efficient than bringing it to a bank, having them convert it, just so you can spend the SAME amount of money somewhere else.

Just bring it to the place you intend to spend it, and then spend it.
Hum, was that you on the ten or less items LINE at Publix?
Old 02-13-2021, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The CoinStar machine at Winn Dixie in Pinellas Plaza will provide Amazon credit, but I don't know about credit for Lowes.
Cash in coins at Coinstar.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:45 PM

Exactly what I was going to say !!
My Grand child does love stuffing the coins wrappers . She knows that’s her job when she comes here to visit.
😊🤩
Old 02-13-2021, 06:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
We put our loose change in plastic Easter eggs and hide them when the grandkids visit.
That's a great idea!!
Closed Thread

Tags
bills, change, converting, service, charge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.