Cooling Costs

Old 05-09-2024, 09:19 AM
Question Cooling Costs

When it comes to cooling a home, insulation, home facing direction, window treatments are important.

My thought is concrete-stucco home construction would be considerably cheaper on the AC bill ?

Is this correct ?
Thank you;

Old 05-09-2024, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,123 Posts

Everyone’s cost is different some like it very cold others don’t . Example I leave it at 80 in warm months and shut it off when I go to bed ,I’ve never slept with AC on and I mean never unless I have a visitor.I stay acclimated so.I can enjoy the outdoors . I’m the same with heat very rarely have I turned it on and never to sleep in , there are others that go to the other extreme making he house like a fridge or sauna

Old 05-09-2024, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,886 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
When it comes to cooling a home, insulation, home facing direction, window treatments are important.

My thought is concrete-stucco home construction would be considerably cheaper on the AC bill ?

Is this correct ?
Thank you;
Not true about the type of construction. All houses must comply with the building code for the exterior wall R-value, although there may be some slight differences in construction types.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Is this correct ?
Thank you;
My electric bill has been about $105/month the last several months. In summer, up to $150. I have a sided home, not stucco. I have SECO. I understand Duke is more expensive.

When buying a home, get the one you like. Don’t worry about electric.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

Electric cost won't be a significant factor, get the home you want..

Old 05-09-2024, 11:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Three home all at the same temp 12 months, total year added cost per month

PV vinyl Built 2010 1134sf $84

Cottage vinyl Built 2012 1534sf $91

Designer stucco Built 2009 1934sf $117

Obviously not as hot summers as we are having now, and cooler winter then last few years.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Is this correct ?
Thank you;
And you would be wrong . I have 2 rentals, a Jasmine and a Wisteria. Exact same model but one is stucco and one is frame. The Wisteria has thicker wall space for insulation, and I would say the power bills over the last 7 years of owning both would say the Wisteria is more efficient by about 15% or so. Every month the bill is a bit lower than the Jasmine. I would not even say it is a consideration. The power bills here are pretty low, I would not even consider it when buying a home.
Ed
Snow Flake until I retire

Old 05-09-2024, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,305 Posts

Just out of curiosity I did a very unscientific experiment in our west facing bathroom. I placed one hand on the outside wall (concrete block) and then on the inside wall, and then the wall to the garage no discernible temperature difference, even with the afternoon sun beating down on that outside wall.

Old 05-10-2024, 05:29 AM

Quote:

Is this correct ?
Thank you;
I read on here that years ago there was a tornado that hit the villages and the only homes to survive were the concrete stucco homes.

So I do know they are more than valuable But I don't think there's a difference in the power cost

Old 05-10-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
My electric bill has been about $105/month the last several months. In summer, up to $150. I have a sided home, not stucco. I have SECO. I understand Duke is more expensive.

When buying a home, get the one you like. Don’t worry about electric.
Our home is a stretched Gardenia. Block construction. Highest electric bill was 156$ for the last four years. Last summer which was hot. 74 inside. That’s a lot less than our home at Maryland.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:09 AM

There are a few factors that have to be considered here.
What temperature someone is comfortable with.
Is the major portion of your home bathed in the sun or the shade.
Construction of the home.
Even the company who is supplying the power to your home.
But based on the figures that were given by a previous poster, there was only a difference from the highest figure to the lowest of $23 dollar.
Maybe it's me but a $23 amount is not going to keep me up at night.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,890 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:

Is this correct ?
Thank you;
I live in a 1200 square foot courtyard villa, eleven years old, stud walls covered with insulation. I have a high-efficiency heat pump. I keep the AC or heat on 24/7 (73° in the summer and 71° in the winter) and rarely open a door. There is no attic fan or vent except at the eaves. I recharge my car in the garage. My SECO bill runs about $60 to $80 a month. I assume my house has 6” of fiberglass in the walls, but it might be four. Do block walls have that much?

Old 05-10-2024, 07:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Is this correct ?
Thank you;
Probably very close. More of a consideration is insurance and termites. Lower insurance for a block or poured concrete home and less potential problems with termites. Personally if insurance continues to skyrocket, I would self insure a concrete home

Old 05-10-2024, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,886 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Probably very close. More of a consideration is insurance and termites. Lower insurance for a block or poured concrete home and less potential problems with termites. Personally if insurance continues to skyrocket, I would self insure a concrete home
I don't agree about termites. You have the same potential for termites in all types of construction. Termites live in the soil under your house and they eat soft woods, like door and window frames, drywall, and carpet. It really doesn't reduce the risk by having a concrete house.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Is this correct ?
Thank you;
NOT necessarily I have lived in both in Arizona.........and you can still get termotes with concrete block too...........

Tags
home, cooling, correct, bill, cheaper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.