Cop Watch

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Default Cop Watch

As a carry over from the infamous "Stop Sign" thread I thought starting a cop watch thread would be beneficial.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottaboom View Post
As a carry over from the infamous "Stop Sign" thread I thought starting a cop watch thread would be beneficial.
Great idea. Fight fire with fire. Apparently there is a few people here in the villages that like to watch people get pulled over. They drop a dime and then view the resulting actions for their daily entertainment.

Last edited by Ajack; 11-02-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Law abiding citizens are a "faction"?

Good thing this is a tongue in cheek thread

btk
Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Good thing this is a tongue in cheek thread

btk
I changed it. I wrote it in a hurry.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Founder

The administrators of Talk of The Villages could be held responsible if such a "cop watch" thread is concluded to be "interfering with the duties of a police officer."

Until the original poster or another interested party can show conclusively that such action is not outside the law, we will error on the side of caution. We won't permit an organized effort to warn of locations of traffic enforcement.

Even if it is deemed to be not illegal, we would still have to decide the value of such a thread and the effect it could have on the overall safety of the community.

JLK
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The administrators have a great responsibility. I would never have thought of it that way.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Gold member

I saw an unmarked patrol car with radar set up this morning.

In an effort to protect the location I will only say I have not left Florida today.

Please drive carefully. If you choose not to drive carefully maybe you'll be on the same road where I saw the deputy. Let us know how the conversation goes.

Last edited by BogeyBoy; 11-02-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Platinum member

Thanks TH there seems to be a few disgruntled new arrivals.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
The administrators of Talk of The Villages could be held responsible if such a "cop watch" thread is concluded to be "interfering with the duties of a police officer."

Until the original poster or another interested party can show conclusively that such action is not outside the law, we will error on the side of caution. We won't permit an organized effort to warn of locations of traffic enforcement.

Even if it is deemed to be not illegal, we would still have to decide the value of such a thread and the effect it could have on the overall safety of the community.

JLK
What about radar detectors? Aren't they legal in most states? How would warning motorists be "interfering with the duties of a police officer?" Is the reason for the ticket traps for slowing people down and obeying the Law"?
By logic, if the intent is to have citizens obey the law and not just make money, then warning people would make more people slow down and obey the law, right?
What is better? Having thousands of people slow down from people warning each other, or issuing tickets to a few motorists?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Sage

Like flashing your headlights at oncoming traffic to warn them of a police officer radaring. Is that illegal?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajack View Post
What about radar detectors? Aren't they legal in most states? How would warning motorists be "interfering with the duties of a police officer?" Is the reason for the ticket traps for slowing people down and obeying the Law"?
By logic, if the intent is to have citizens obey the law and not just make money, then warning people would make more people slow down and obey the law, right?
What is better? Having thousands of people slow down from people warning each other, or issuing tickets to a few motorists?
Flashing headlights that warn oncoming motorists of speed enforcement is illegal in Florida. Therefore I consider this to be the same type of thing. If you can show conclusive proof that this is not illegal, we might take it under consideration.

However, personally, I don't share your disdain for enforcement of our laws. If there was no enforcement there would eventually be anarchy. The same thing as people controlling people. It doesn't work.

Enforcement Zones are neither for raising money or slowing people down. They are for arresting lawbreakers who jeopardize their own safety and the safety of others.

You use the term "speed trap." There are all kinds of traps, rat traps, fly traps, ant traps, roach traps, speed traps. What do each of these traps catch? They catch what the trap is specifically intended for.

JLK
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Like flashing your headlights at oncoming traffic to warn them of a police officer radaring. Is that illegal?
I've been trying to find out information on warning others of police. The flashing headlights issue comes up more than any other. And the jury is out, at least with the little research I have done. I have found people who say it is legal, and others who claim they have been ticketed and fined. (These are on forums across the US.)

As far as other warnings, I have found limited information, most seem to thing it is freedom of speech to tell others of police presence.

Another thought - traveling north on 301 there are billboards announcing speed traps in some of the communities. Gets my attention every time. If those warnings were illegal it seems they would be gone, they have been there for quite a while.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
I've been trying to find out information on warning others of police. The flashing headlights issue comes up more than any other. And the jury is out, at least with the little research I have done. I have found people who say it is legal, and others who claim they have been ticketed and fined. (These are on forums across the US.)

As far as other warnings, I have found limited information, most seem to thing it is freedom of speech to tell others of police presence.

Another thought - traveling north on 301 there are billboards announcing speed traps in some of the communities. Gets my attention every time. If those warnings were illegal it seems they would be gone, they have been there for quite a while.
Exactly, they will slow more people down then speed traps will.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Sage

I flash my headlights during the day and night to indicate to tractor trailers they can enter in front of me in my traffic lane safely. I most always get the courteous flash back from their back lights. I think it is defensive driving.

I'd hate for a police officer to misinterpret this gesture as an illegal headlight flashing to warn of a radar activity.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Flashing headlights that warn oncoming motorists of speed enforcement is illegal in Florida. Therefore I consider this to be the same type of thing. If you can show conclusive proof that this is not illegal, we might take it under consideration.

However, personally, I don't share your disdain for enforcement of our laws. If there was no enforcement there would eventually be anarchy. The same thing as people controlling people. It doesn't work.

Enforcement Zones are neither for raising money or slowing people down. They are for arresting lawbreakers who jeopardize their own safety and the safety of others.

You use the term "speed trap." There are all kinds of traps, rat traps, fly traps, ant traps, roach traps, speed traps. What do each of these traps catch? They catch what the trap is specifically intended for.

You say enforcement zones are not for slowing people down but are for arresting them? Really.
JLK
I do not disdain laws, just the archaic ways of enforcement. Are you calling motorist's, rats, ants, and roaches?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.