Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottaboom View Post
You're the boss.
You learn pretty quick!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
The administrators of Talk of The Villages could be held responsible if such a "cop watch" thread is concluded to be "interfering with the duties of a police officer."

Until the original poster or another interested party can show conclusively that such action is not outside the law, we will error on the side of caution. We won't permit an organized effort to warn of locations of traffic enforcement.

Even if it is deemed to be not illegal, we would still have to decide the value of such a thread and the effect it could have on the overall safety of the community.

JLK
anything you do to make it safer (i.e. letting drivers know where to be sure to drive 'legally') could not be construed as interfering with the duties of an officer, if anything you are helping to improve public safety
Old 11-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

What a brouhaha over nothing. TH nicely stated that the admins did not want to chance being held responsible for a possible thread that might cause citations or a closure of this forum. So, why not just accept that this is something they don't want, respect their wishes and let it go?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
What a brouhaha over nothing. TH nicely stated that the admins did not want to chance being held responsible for a possible thread that might cause citations or a closure of this forum. So, why not just accept that this is something they don't want, respect their wishes and let it go?
Amen
Old 11-02-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
It's a forum, we're having a discussion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, that doesn't make anyone right or wrong. If TH didn't invite the debate he would have removed this thread from the forum. Debates like this help people learn and understand other view points. I know I have learned some things that will change the way I think. I never knew that flashing your lights can be illegal in some states and now I do. It can still be a problem where it's legal if the police want to give you a hard time because you're screwing up their "trap". We might as well live in the PRK if we can't speak our mind. Police are just people doing the job that their boss tells them to do. I have nothing but respect for anyone in uniform and would never blatantly break the law.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Sage

Bill
Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Gold member

Last year I wrote about speed traps below is a link to what was said about them. See if there is a pattern.

Speed Trap Locations-- They give tickets!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
Last year I wrote about speed traps below is a link to what was said about them. See if there is a pattern.

Speed Trap Locations-- They give tickets!
Looks to me like the places that traffic should have some speed checking going on. Pattern? No, just the right places.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Like flashing your headlights at oncoming traffic to warn them of a police officer radaring. Is that illegal?
Not sure about Florida. Some states have laws about illegal use of lights but permit headlight flashing to warn on coming traffic there is an accident ahead.

If I pass an accident site I would not hesitate to flash my headlights to warn on coming traffic. I flash my headlights to indicate it is OK to change into my lane in front of me. I have given up on flashing headlights to truckers. I don't think they trust us any more.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Not sure about Florida. Some states have laws about illegal use of lights but permit headlight flashing to warn on coming traffic there is an accident ahead.

If I pass an accident site I would not hesitate to flash my headlights to warn on coming traffic. I flash my headlights to indicate it is OK to change into my lane in front of me. I have given up on flashing headlights to truckers. I don't think they trust us any more.
Read through the entire thread and you will see more info on flashing lights.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

I think the Administrators are being a little too sensative when they disallow an organized forum for speed traps. After all the internet has many such sites - CopSpy.com, Speedtrap.org, Traspter.com (a speed trap location site), etc. The chances of such a forum on this site causing problems is extremely miniscule.

That being said, I still don't like a forum or thread dedicated to speed trap locations (or other enforcement action locations - like stop signs or unregistered golf cart/vehicles on roadways). It gets too long to read easily. Just do as we have in the past - a qu9ck post of "beware of speed trap at Morse and 466" as a new thread and I can read that easily.

Of course, as another alternative, just obey the law and look at the road while driving instead of for cops.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 AM

Just follow the laws. You will get there just as fast and may enjoy the ride!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

It seems that whenever a thread like this starts, people have split opinions. Some say something to the affect "give me a break, don't the police have something better to do than give out tickets for going 50 in a 40 zone." It sort of implies that murderers and rapists aren't being pursued because a patrol officer is ticketing speeders. It is my opinion that nothing could be further from the truth. Many large cities have found that when they started enforcing the "little" laws like jaywalking, graffitti, littering, etc. they also saw a drop in more major crimes. Whether or not this was the only cause of the crime reduction is unknown. I have always believed that the society I live in made the laws and that I should obey them. If I disagree with the laws then I should work to change them. But the few times in my life (and none in the last 18 years) that I have received a speeding ticket, I just kept my mouth shut and payed the fine. I know I was breaking the law, and I also know that there were probably a number of other times that I was speeding and didn't get caught. Also, the thought of some speeder losing control and hitting a car with my kids and grandkids in it is sobering. As to flashing my lights to warn of a speed trap? I don't do it anymore even though I did when I was younger. I want those speeders caught for the reasons I mentioned above.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

Just one more comment on the legality of flashing your lights to warn others of a speed trap. Having a license is a privilege, not a right. We have an obligation to operate our vehicles safely. People who don't deserve to be punished. If I saw cops staking out a "crack house" to bust drug pushers, would I be within my freedom of speech rights to warn the drug pushers about it? While my example may be a little extreme, I think the principle is the same. One more thought....often when police stop a car for one reason, they find more serious offenses (I know this from watching cops on television). Perhaps the car you flashed your lights at was the one that was vandalizing village property last month or had drugs in it, and the police never pulled them over.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.