Corner Lot - Trailers Running Over Lawn

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2023, 10:17 AM
Default Corner Lot - Trailers Running Over Lawn

So, I own a new place in Richmond and contractors and their trailers are running over my lawn on the corner. Before I put spikes down, are there other, less confrontational methods of deterring people from driving over my lawn? Am I allowed to put down a giant boulder on the corner? I know I can't put anything "permanent" but if I'm going to be responsible for repairing my lawn, I'd like to not repair it once a week. What can I do to encourage trailers and contractors to make wider turns to avoid my lawn? Suggestions appreciated.

Pic of the damage

Last edited by GenXVillages; 02-24-2023 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 02-24-2023, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I have seen corner lots with several boulders near the street. They don't need to be giant boulders.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXVillages View Post
Am I allowed to put down a giant boulder on the corner?
That is what people in our neighborhood did about 5 years ago.

If you want to see what they did, go to the corner of Deskin and Umbrella Loop in Osceola Hills.

Some workers do not respect the residents. We were the first house in our neighborhood. When the other houses nearby were being built, some workers would park in front of our driveway and we could not get out. I called The Villages management and they would do nothing about it.

Then I called the Wildwood police and they came by and took care of it.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Realtor said upfront it will happen. Install cameras to record offenders and take action. Keep checking those sprinklers
Old 02-24-2023, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I've got a corner lot and I put down a boulder as part of the landscaping.
I wouldn't call it "giant" but it's big enough for vehicle to want to avoid it to avoid damage.

Besides the lawn, they'll run over your sprinkler heads

Last edited by JohnN; 02-24-2023 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I've got a corner lot and I put down a boulder as part of the landscaping.
I wouldn't call it "giant" but it's big enough for vehicle to want to avoid it to avoid damage.
I actually called the ARC over this. Said I definitely need approval to do so. Just FYI to folks with similar issues.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:27 PM

We have a golf cart cut through close to us and golf carts were being driven over her flower beds. She put large rocks around the corner close to the edge of the cut through. No more golf carts driving over her flowers.

BTW not only did people drive over her yard, they actually knocked down the center dividing pole. Someone picked it up and threw it into her yard!
Old 02-24-2023, 12:54 PM

Look up “faux boulders” on Amazon that come in different sizes and colors. You can move them around to any location in case ARC tells you to move them. They are very realistic and wind resistant; I have 2 of them to cover tree stumps that I didn’t have grinded down. I also have 2 real boulders that cost $150 apiece but the faux are more economical. Good luck with your corner lot.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXVillages View Post
I actually called the ARC over this. Said I definitely need approval to do so. Just FYI to folks with similar issues.
I had ARC approval for my overall landscaping plan, FYI.
Sure , contact them.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:06 PM

I'm not on a little bend in the road and when we first moved in my lawn was getting run over all the time. I bought a pack of 6 reflectors on Amazon and put them on my lawn. I think the first few days three of them were knocked down. The last one was hit about 2 weeks ago but it has improved quite a bit. Once all the trades are out of your area it should improve.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:42 PM

I haven't gone out and measured, but I think the streets in Richmond are narrower than they are in McClure, where we lived before. I know the roundabouts in the south are narrower than those up north. Have to save more room for houses!
Old 02-24-2023, 08:15 PM

That car parked across your street isn’t doin you any favors.

Without doing boulders, I’d start with some reflectors, the ones on the white stakes that you can get at any big box retailer.

If that does not work, and you can’t do boulders, try making that a natural area with either mulch, straw or gravel. That way you wont have the bare spots.

It might not be the best, but I don’t see you having many options.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post
I haven't gone out and measured, but I think the streets in Richmond are narrower than they are in McClure, where we lived before. I know the roundabouts in the south are narrower than those up north. Have to save more room for houses!
Width of road is defined by the county.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
That car parked across your street isn’t doin you any favors.
. . . .Bingo!
That was easy...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	XH17YOY.jpg
Views:	3062
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	97078  
Old 02-25-2023, 04:19 AM

I have two corner lots. I have used boulders and white painted wood stakes combined while the trades were in the area. On the first lot that didn't even stop them, so I added two metal foldable bed frames along with the boulders. That did the trick. Now that the construction is done all I have is 3 boulders and that is working.
Then we bought a rental villa in Richmond on a corner. Same thing, so I moved the metal bed frames over there and someone stole them. The remaining boulders and stakes seem to be working now that the construction is finished.

In addition to all this I put those sprinkler guards (donuts) on the ones near the street. You need to set them so the guard is slightly higher than the sprinkler to keep the tires from hitting the sprinkler. I used a rubber mallet to tap them down and make them solid. If they are loose, they can move and damage the sprinkler themselves.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, corner, trailers, put, contractors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.