Corner lot- truck damage

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2020, 04:01 PM
Default Corner lot- truck damage

This a.m. we received a call from our very nice neighbor regarding damage to our corner lot. We have not returned to our Florida house yet. Early am she heard a large truck go by and after going outside noticed it cut the corner and broke landscape ledge stones, broke solar lights and ran over irrigation heads. It also made a trench in lawn with tandem tires and in small rocks in front of house. My question is to corner lot owners and what they do to protect their property from this kind of damage?
Can't verify who did damage, would you report it and to whom? Deductible of $1,000 on our insurance. We did have irrigation turned off in house.
When we return can we have large rocks put in side yard along street?
Old 10-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Absolutely. Buy some very large boulders and place them along the edge of your property. Problem solved. You may want to get ARC approval first.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny1 View Post
This a.m. we received a call from our very nice neighbor regarding damage to our corner lot. We have not returned to our Florida house yet. Early am she heard a large truck go by and after going outside noticed it cut the corner and broke landscape ledge stones, broke solar lights and ran over irrigation heads. It also made a trench in lawn with tandem tires and in small rocks in front of house. My question is to corner lot owners and what they do to protect their property from this kind of damage?
Can't verify who did damage, would you report it and to whom? Deductible of $1,000 on our insurance. We did have irrigation turned off in house.
When we return can we have large rocks put in side yard along street?
We are also a corner lot. We had a similar thing where a contractor ran at least 2 foot up into our gravel and trashed a head. We were away for a bit and 40,000 gallons later, it showed up on the amenity bill.

I have cameras up now. I also have a Flume, remote water monitor and a wifi irrigation controller. I also moved that particular head in 3 feet.

Since then, I found a big skid mark on the edge of the property in the gravel, reviewed the cams and it turns out a golf cart was dodging a truck flying down the middle of the street. Dove off the road to not get killed!

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

I had similar problem with cable contractor destroying my main irrigation line on my corner lot along street. I too was gone during this damage. When my irrigation came on had geyser’s 2 foot high. I had to bypass that line and ran new line along the concrete wall, then run line out to plants. They had two foot easement he was 3 foot in hitting the line that developers ran down the middle of side street.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Absolutely. Buy some very large boulders and place them along the edge of your property. Problem solved. You may want to get ARC approval first.
Large boulders may make drivers a bit more careful but sure won't guarantee no damage. Where I used to work we often had semi tractor trailers cutting the corner and damaging lawn and sprinklers. We laid a very large granite boulder, think several tons in weight and approx. 3 foot by 4 foot in size, placed on the corner in hopes of stopping the damage. One day we came to work and their was huge damage to the lawn and the boulder was gone. A semi jumped the curb and the boulder and drug the boulder about a quarter of a mile down the road. We had to fetch back our boulder with a large fork truck.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Large boulders may make drivers a bit more careful but sure won't guarantee no damage. Where I used to work we often had semi tractor trailers cutting the corner and damaging lawn and sprinklers. We laid a very large granite boulder, think several tons in weight and approx. 3 foot by 4 foot in size, placed on the corner in hopes of stopping the damage. One day we came to work and their was huge damage to the lawn and the boulder was gone. A semi jumped the curb and the boulder and drug the boulder about a quarter of a mile down the road. We had to fetch back our boulder with a large fork truck.
Sounds like you needed a bigger boulder.
Closed Thread

Tags
corner, damage, house, rocks, broke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.