Coronavirus Advice

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2020, 05:50 AM

If you weren't listening to the medical community before, who were you listening to??
Dr Fauci, the CDC, the WHO, the NIH are all reliable sources. I have been following them daily.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Your 100% correct, I was hearing what I wanted to hear from the top, but when FOX started sounding alarmed, I had to start listening to the media take on seriousness of this virus.
Tucker Carlson of FOX News was talking about the coronavirus on FNC starting on February 3 - while the rest of the media were talking about impeachment.

Carlson:

Quote:
Anybody who imagined that this was just media hype turned out to be wrong. … Feb. 3 is the day that it was confirmed to me by a U.S. government official that this was a huge problem and that a lot of people could die. That’s when I learned it. And that’s the night we went on the air and said, “Wow this is something you really need to worry about.” Was there anybody else in politics on either side who was standing up in public and saying, “Drop what you’re doing and worry about this? I just don’t remember that there was.”
FNC employees have largely been working from home since the weekend of March 14-15. I'm not clear on this "when FOX started sounding alarmed" comment, unless you've been in a bubble.

Fox News To Implement Telecommuting, Other Measures For Employees – Deadline
Old 04-01-2020, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
We are all blessed to have Drs. Fauci and Birx. Please listen to them—not to the arrogant self-appointed experts on this board.

Totally agree with this response to the OP...it totally blows my mind why people use this board to inquire about things that are critical enough that they should be directed to a subject matter expert/professional

Now, that's not to say that there aren't some very thoughtful comments offered by folks on this board, or that this board should be shut down

it serves a purpose, just don't use it as a crutch
Old 04-01-2020, 06:50 AM

You and many others should have been doing that a month ago. The federal government knew the science but it was not delivered to the public. Very unfortunate for state.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:56 AM

Perhaps you should have been getting your news from more than 1 source. There are many other media outlets than FOX News.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:58 AM
Default Changed tune

Quote:
Your 100% correct, I was hearing what I wanted to hear from the top, but when FOX started sounding alarmed, I had to start listening to the media take on seriousness of this virus.
A good reason to never watch Fox - it has been proven to be more inaccurate than the other cable news networks,
Old 04-01-2020, 07:33 AM

Are u saying that because Fox news is getting serious, you finally believe the facts?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
The most practical advice I've seen remains consistent ..

1. wash your hands frequently

2. do NOT touch your face

If you do those two things, that will go a long way in keeping you safe.
I also think we should get dressed, the stores are now insisting on clothing. I originally thought it was just wash ur hands and face.
P.S. anyone know what time u should change from daytime pj’s to nighttime pj’s.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:34 AM
Default C-19 Advise

Quote:
I am changing direction and taking advice from the medical community. Am I messing up since the medical advice I am hearing the loudest is coming from the media outlets and it is different from the federal leadership. Who’s right! Please don’t think I am being political. I want the best advice for me and my family.
Hold the Line.
‘This virus is unforgiving to unwise choices’ Jonathan Smith
As an infectious disease epidemiologist (albeit a junior one), I feel morally obligated to provide information on what we are seeing from a transmission dynamic perspective and how it applies to the social distancing measures. Like any good scientist, I have noticed two things that are either not well articulated or not present in the “literature” of online media. I have also relied on other infectious disease epidemiologists for peer review of this piece.
Specifically, I want to make two aspects of these distancing measures very clear and unambiguous.
First, we are in the very infancy of this epidemic’s trajectory. That means that even with these measures in place, we will see cases and deaths continue to rise globally, nationally, and in our own communities. This may lead some to think that the social distancing measures are not working. They are. They may feel futile. They aren’t. You will feel discouraged. You should. This is normal in chaos. This is the normal epidemic trajectory. Stay calm.
The enemy we are facing is very good at what it does; we are not failing. We need everyone to hold the line as the epidemic inevitably gets worse. This is not an opinion. This is the unforgiving math of epidemics for which I and my colleagues have dedicated our lives to understanding with great nuance, and this disease is no exception. Stay strong and in solidarity knowing that what you are doing is saving lives, even as people continue getting sick and dying. You may feel like giving in. Don’t.

You should perceive your entire family to function as a single individual unit: if one person puts themselves at risk, everyone in the unit is at risk.

Second, although social distancing measures have been (at least temporarily) well received, there is an obvious-but-overlooked phenomenon when considering groups (i.e. households) in transmission dynamics. While social distancing decreases contact with members of society, it of course increases contact within a group (i.e. family). This small and obvious fact has surprisingly profound implications on disease transmission dynamics. The basic mechanics of this mathematical principle dictate that even if there is only a little bit of additional connection between groups (i.e. social dinners, playdates, unnecessary trips to the store, etc.), the epidemic likely won’t be much different than if there was no measure in place. The same underlying fundamentals of disease transmission apply, and the result is that the community is left with all of the social and economic disruption but very little public health benefit.
You should perceive your entire family to function as a single individual unit: If one person puts themselves at risk, everyone in the unit is at risk. Seemingly small social chains get large and complex with alarming speed. If your son visits his girlfriend, and you later sneak over for coffee with a neighbor, your neighbor is now connected to the infected office worker that your son’s girlfriend’s mother shook hands with. This sounds silly, it’s not. This is not a joke or hypothetical. We as epidemiologists see it borne out in the data time and time again. Conversely, any break in that chain breaks disease transmission along that chain.
In contrast to hand-washing and other personal measures, social distancing measures are not about individuals, they are about societies working in unison. These measures also require sustained action before results are evident. It is hard (even for me) to conceptualize how on a population level ‘one quick little get together’ can undermine the entire framework of a public health intervention, but it can. I promise you it can. I promise. I promise. I promise. You can’t cheat it. People are already itching to cheat on the social distancing precautions just a “little”- a short playdate, a quick haircut, or picking up a needless item from the store. From a transmission dynamics standpoint, this very quickly recreates a highly connected social network that undermines much of the good work our communities have done thus far.
This outbreak will not be overcome in one grand, sweeping gesture, but rather by the collection of individual choices we make in the coming months. This virus is unforgiving to unwise choices. As this epidemic continues, it will be easy to be drawn to the idea that what we are doing isn’t working and we may feel compelled to “cheat” with unnecessary breaches of social distancing measures. By knowing what to expect, and knowing the critical importance of maintaining these measures, my hope is to encourage continued community spirit and strategizing to persevere in this time of uncertainty.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:39 AM
theruizs

Also, listen to and follow your counties advisory. Here is Sumter’s: https://www.**************.com/wp-co...-Extension.pdf

Info on the virus here in Florida: Home | Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Outbreak

And the **************.com has good info specific to TV.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:41 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
Also, listen to and follow your counties advisory. Here is Sumter’s: https://www.**************.com/wp-co...-Extension.pdf

Info on the virus here in Florida: Home | Florida Department of Health COVID-19 Outbreak

And the **************.com has good info specific to TV.
Looks like talkofthevillages does not like the villages news site for some reason. You can google it though if you don’t already know about it.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:49 AM

It is probably not a bad idea to rotate through other cable news so you can get a more balanced update. When the WH was calling it a hoax, certain cable news echoed that. Finally, everyone is taking this seriously, but look at how much time has been lost.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
The most practical advice I've seen remains consistent ..

1. wash your hands frequently

2. do NOT touch your face

If you do those two things, that will go a long way in keeping you safe.
Pro tip regarding #2.
You can't touch your face if you're holding your preferred beverage in each hand.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:13 AM

Watch the briefings to get info straight from scientists.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:19 AM

I listened and planned my companies close down based on the experiences of my clients in China and South Korea and what was happending there from January and February.

Once closed down I now take advise from my friends working on the front line in the A&E wards of the local hospitals and from the report by The Imperial College London. DON'T underestimate this. It's not only the old that are dying its the young as well. My sister in law had it and recovered without medical treatment. She is fit but said near the end it was the most frightening experience in her life as she struggled to breath, and she genuinely thought she would die... but 2 days later she recovered. The big problem with the pandemic is that most people will be OK, and many will question wheter we overkilled the responses killing economies in the process... The reason as the US medical advisor stated DO NOTHING = over 2 million deaths in the USA. Self quarantine then hopefully the number will be under 200,000. Why the discrepancy? Partly more infected people but also because there simply aren't enough beds and ventialators and people that could survive will not have the chance as Doctors are forced to decide who lives and who dies, who gets a ventilator and who doesn't..........Forget politicians and think about that last statement. Chances are most poeple won't suffer, but for those that do many will recover if the beds are available... Currently there aren't enough beds.....

STAY AT HOME AND SAVE LIFES......

Last edited by Ashley from UK; 04-01-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, medical, coronavirus, don’t, political

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.