The correct way to drive in the round abouts

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Default Re: The correct way to drive in the round abouts

On Thursday while going home on Morse I entered the roundabout in the left lane because of the heavy trucks lined up to either go through or turn right at the first exit. When I got to the circle all was clear and on my right was another car that was about a 1/2 car length in front of me.

As anticipated this car did not turn at the first exit on the right, nor did he at the next one either. He just cut in front of me and stopped. YES STOPPED and got out his car screaming at me.

So I took his picture of him and his car. He was raising his hand screaming at me. The pic was sent along with his cars plate to the local sheriffs office.

This guy wanted parts of me and when he realized I had a camera on him quickly moved along.

On a serious note this guy was nuts. Who knows what was on his mind. I mean I am retired and have all the time in the world to come back here to my house during the summer, fight the heat and get all the money I paid for it from his pockets. Or if his home is more desirable than mine, end up owning his too as part of the settlement.

People like this need to be taught a lesson and spend time in jail. Thank goodness no other cars or any of those big trucks hit anybody, as he stopped all traffic. This lasted almost one minute.

:chillout: :chillout: :chillout:
Old 02-03-2008, 03:58 AM
Sage

You should post his picture here so we can avoid this guy if possible.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Keep in mind that the round-a-bouts in the villages are NON STANDARD (too small) and thats why the local police tell you to stay in the right lane....
there are two round-a-bouts on stillwater trail and Virginia trace have bleeder routs around the outside of the circle which even makes them more non standard but very convenient.....The street signs painted on the pavement are to direct you to where stillwater is...Not how to get there, thats because we have no directional street signs in the Villages....
For those who are a little slow, pay attention to the people whose responsibility it is to police these round-a-bouts and who issue tickets to people who cut across traffic to exit from the inside lane.....
Don't listen to people who are passing themselves as experts and don't know the local situation here ......And whatever you do listen to the local police........
Old 02-04-2008, 06:21 PM

I Love TV, the only place in the world where we can make up our own driving laws!!!!!

Sorry but IF (to date the only place i have heard this is heresay on TOTV) the police say to stay right, surely this would be in writing in the local press or similar to inform everyone of the local changes to the driving laws, especially those who know how to drive correctly.
If anyone has ever seen this in official print please let us all know where! as i am sure any of us would hate to have to go to court with the defense "I read on an internet forum that somebody said somebody heard that the Police said to keep to the right on TV roundabouts"

It also makes me wonder that if this is true and driving rules are different in TV then should we not have signs posted on entry to advise visitors e.g. "You are now entering The Villages normal driving rules do not apply"

Also i find the idea that the local roundabouts are too small or the residents too old to be used properly laughable at best.

Finally The Villages Phone Book tells you how to use the roundabouts on page 49, i quote "WHEN EXITING THE CIRCULATORY ROADWAY FROM THE OUTSIDE TRACK, YIELD TO LEADING OR ADJACENT VEHICLES THAT ARE EXITING INTO THE SAME LANE" and of course there is absolutely no mention of staying in the outside lane!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

OK :
I'll give you another shot, The only thing laughable about the round-a-bouts is how you explain to a deputy as he is writing you a ticket that you learned how to drive a round-a-bout in a phone book....
you quoted from the book of laws that ,"WHEN EXITING THE CIRCULATORY ROADWAY FROM THE OUTSIDE TRACK, YIELD TO LEADING OR ADJACENT VEHICLES THAT ARE EXITING INTO THE SAME LANE." Let me explain what that means, It means if some clown has gotten himself trapped in the inside lane and can't get out then be a nice guy back off and let him out..
You see the OUTSIDE TRACK AND OUTSIDE LANE ,mean the same thing...

Also you failed to mention that the book of laws also stated that "PLEASE CONSULT YOUR LOCAL LAW INFORCEMENT AUTHORITY" please be advised , we have..
I've done all I can to save your life, from now on your on your own........
Old 02-05-2008, 02:57 AM
Veteran member

Fumar, I'm in agreement with you. And..I like your yacht
Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ
Bottom line - drive defensively. Cemeteries are filled with folk who had the right-of-way.

Amen to that!!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass
You should post his picture here so we can avoid this guy if possible.
Would if I could since that pic was sent to local sheriff's office and out of my cell.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Fumar,

In response i did not learn to drive a roundabout "from the phone book" and find it odd to suggest that they would print YIELD to mean "if some clown has gotten himself trapped in the inside lane and can't get out then be a nice guy back off and let him out." I always thought YIELD was an instruction not a suggestion! The only reason i quote from the phone book is the abscence of any other local printed guidelines.

I did check a local PD (Lady Lake) website for information regarding roundabout use, they link to the Florida Department of Transport website which has a set of rules for Safe Mobility at roundabouts, see their URL below:

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/trafficop...bouts_Card.pdf

I really don't think they could make this any clearer if they tried, read "How they Work"

I agree whole heartedly with all those who say to drive defensively when using TV roundabouts as there are folks who do not know how to use them correctly and i will always yield to the outside lane to avoid an accident even though i know i am driving correctly, i just wish some of the "drive all the way around in the right" folks would show the same courtesy.

I guess we will never all agree on the correct way to drive these roundabouts, lets just hope we can all agree to show each other enough courtesy to avoid any unneccessary accidents.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 PM

To "The Great Fumer"

I don't know if you are holding to your opinion on this subject just keep the
arguement going or you still really believe it.

If you can sway enough people to your way of thinking we all will be much less
safe in the roundabouts than we are now.

You don't seem to believe TV after they paint the correct methods on the road
and keep quoting some Deputy .

ABC has contacted Lady Lake Police on the matter and they did not have
and opinion and told him to check the Florida DOT whose webpage on the correct
method of driving in roundabouts is the same as he and I have been trying to get
through to you and others.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:03 PM

This time of the year VERY CAREFULY :-*
Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC

I guess we will never all agree on the correct way to drive these roundabouts, lets just hope we can all agree to show each other enough courtesy to avoid any unnecessary accidents.
It is my understanding that the state of Florida has not issued specific direction regarding driving in roundabouts, something with substantially more meat than the single paragraph on the flier you cited. Until that time, remember that TV overlaps 3 counties and one municipality. Each has its own interpretation of the rules. Until Florida lays it out in detail and the local gov'ts concur, there will be confusion. Once that is done, TV can issue definitive guidelines to all residents, renters, and buyers, maybe put up some intelligible signs, do a video for all clubs and for broadcast on VNN, and start enforcing the law (okay, the cops, not TV, would enforce). And all those "I'll stay in the right lane and to hell with everyone else" drivers can start losing money and amassing points.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Taltarzac

Did not see very much in the FL Driver's Handbook about roundabouts. http://www.floridatrafficacademy.com...ok_chap3.shtml

There's also a FL Department of Transportation (FL DOT) "Roundabout Guide" but that covers more why communities might want to get them rather than how to drive in them. Check the Document Library in the FL DOT if you want to look at this "Roundabout Guide". http://www.dot.state.fl.us/TrafficOp...oc_Library.htm
Old 02-06-2008, 05:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

ABC & ROCKAWAY;
You two are beautiful, First of all your supposition is incorrect and why would you contact the Lady Lake police dept. about a policy that does not pertain to the city limits of lady lake....
The round-a-bouts are policed by the Sheriffs of Marion and Sumter county's.
They are the people who at the indoctrination to the Villages advise you how to drive locally. and they specifically state that "when in doubt , stay to the right".when traversing the round-a-bouts.....
Say you don't suppose I might get some kind of award for this from the county for keeping you on the computer and off the streets ....Oh well , Just a thought.....
fumar
Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 AM

Those of us that have been driving roundabouts or "rotaries" since the black and white days have been vindicated once again with the FL DOT Brochure.

DON'T FIGHT IT FOLKS! The right way is shown on the flyer.

Let's ALL get with the program including the Public Safety types who are giving misinformed answers. It will make everyone's driving experience safer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.