Corrugated Stainless Steel tubing in Attics and fire safety

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Very interesting, ann321. Who did your home inspection? Have you tried to obtain one of those vouchers? Did you get one? Who does a concerned resident contact?
According to page 8 of the booklet Gracie provided the link for, what OP was told by Mr. Humphry at TECO is, in fact, true. At least, if you believe both the booklet and Mr. Humphry. I don't get why you're drilling her. This isn't the first time it's been brought up, either.

I'm glad we have all electric, although I really miss cooking with gas. If we had gas, I would be having someone from TECO come out to give me an opinion, and go from there.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
According to page 8 of the booklet Gracie provided the link for, what OP was told by Mr. Humphry at TECO is, in fact, true. At least, if you believe both the booklet and Mr. Humphry. I don't get why you're drilling her. This isn't the first time it's been brought up, either.

I'm glad we have all electric, although I really miss cooking with gas. If we had gas, I would be having someone from TECO come out to give me an opinion, and go from there.
CFrance - Sorry you perceive me to be drilling anne321. I will advise you of my personal need by PM rather than hang my laundry here for all to be exposed to. I'll just crawl back under my rock and only come back to play Pollyanna.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Default Villages Homes and Fire and Life Safety Code Complaince

I have read some of the posts about Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing and Fire Safety. Some people of the have asked what the interest in this subject is. I live in one of these homes and when i moved to the Villages the last thing i thougt I would have to worry about was my home burning to the slab. If you Google Stainless Steel tubing you will find out the Corrugatted Stainless Steel Tubing in Attics in the Villages is not installed as required by the National Fire Protection Association Fire Codes [NFPA]. Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing in Attics in the Villages is not installed the way that the Corrugated Steel Tubing Manufacture require it to be so that it will be safe and there will be no fire or explosion in homes. Corruggated stainless Steel Tubing in the Villagges Attics is not in any way shape or form installed the way TECO Gas recommends and requires in order to keep homes from burning down. it is abosuletly Critical that Corruggated Stainless Steel Tubing be Bonded and grounded at the house side of the Gas Meter as close as possible to the Gas Meter to the Electrical Panel Ground and main House Ground. If this is not done it can cause FIRES AND EXPLOSIONS IN PARTICULARLY WHEN LIGHTING IS INVOLVED. You do not have to take my word about this all you have to do is check it out. The real question in this matter is why this was not done when the homes were built as everyone was well aware of this. EVERY HOME IN THE VILLAGES SHOULD BE CHECKED AND IF NOT IN COMPLAINCE WITH ALL FIRE AND LIFE SAFETY CODES SHOULD BE IMMEDIATELY FIXED. I HAVE LOOKED IN THE VILLAGES AND HAVE NOT SEEN ONE HOME THAT HAS A SAFE INSTALLATION. iT IS ONLY AMATTER OF TIME BEFORE SOMEONE DIES BECAUSE OF THIS. WHERE IS THE DEVELOPER IN THIS AND MORE IMPORTANT WHERE WAS THE DEVELOPER WHEN THIS WAS DONE.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne321 View Post
I have read some of the posts about Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing and Fire Safety. Some people of the have asked what the interest in this subject is. I live in one of these homes and when i moved to the Villages the last thing i thougt I would have to worry about was my home burning to the slab. If you Google Stainless Steel tubing you will find out the Corrugatted Stainless Steel Tubing in Attics in the Villages is not installed as required by the National Fire Protection Association Fire Codes [NFPA]. Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing in Attics in the Villages is not installed the way that the Corrugated Steel Tubing Manufacture require it to be so that it will be safe and there will be no fire or explosion in homes. Corruggated stainless Steel Tubing in the Villagges Attics is not in any way shape or form installed the way TECO Gas recommends and requires in order to keep homes from burning down. it is abosuletly Critical that Corruggated Stainless Steel Tubing be Bonded and grounded at the house side of the Gas Meter as close as possible to the Gas Meter to the Electrical Panel Ground and main House Ground. If this is not done it can cause FIRES AND EXPLOSIONS IN PARTICULARLY WHEN LIGHTING IS INVOLVED. You do not have to take my word about this all you have to do is check it out. The real question in this matter is why this was not done when the homes were built as everyone was well aware of this. EVERY HOME IN THE VILLAGES SHOULD BE CHECKED AND IF NOT IN COMPLAINCE WITH ALL FIRE AND LIFE SAFETY CODES SHOULD BE IMMEDIATELY FIXED. I HAVE LOOKED IN THE VILLAGES AND HAVE NOT SEEN ONE HOME THAT HAS A SAFE INSTALLATION. iT IS ONLY AMATTER OF TIME BEFORE SOMEONE DIES BECAUSE OF THIS. WHERE IS THE DEVELOPER IN THIS AND MORE IMPORTANT WHERE WAS THE DEVELOPER WHEN THIS WAS DONE.

Is it to local building code? You are mentioning some criteria that may be superior to our building code here. Codes differ and expectations differ. On the thread below some have paid to have this further protected. I would NOT want gas or propane nearby with the lightning being so frequent here.

Here is yet another thread; Galvanized Gas Pipes in Attic

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-25-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Before you making sweeping statements about "every home in The Villages", you might want to do a little fact checking. Many of us live in areas which do not have natural gas.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Our home among the others on our street have no gas appliances.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
Before you making sweeping statements about "every home in The Villages", you might want to do a little fact checking. Many of us live in areas which do not have natural gas.
I think it's pretty obvious OP meant those with gas homes should have their tubing checked.

Gracie, is there any way to find out if, indeed, they offered coupons for a fix for this in the past?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Default It does not mater what code involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Is it to local building code? You are mentioning some criteria that may be superior to our building code here. Codes differ and expectations differ. On the thread below some have paid to have this further protected. I would NOT want gas or propane nearby with the lightning being so frequent here.

Here is yet another thread; Galvanized Gas Pipes in Attic
It does not matter what code is involved the siaution as it exists is very unsafe and extremely dangerous. the only reason there has not been serious injury and even death is that these home have no one living in the for a large part of the year. Not Grounding and bonding Corrugated Stainlees Steel Tubing and in particular running the Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing near a Gas Furance exhaust that sticks 6 ft into the air above the roof and acts like a natural lighting is so unbelivablely dangerous that you can not imagine how bad this is. You can delude your self into thinking that this is safe you can stick your head into the sand like a ostrich and ignore this but it is estasblished fact about these matters and the sooner Villagers take this seriously the better chance they have to keep there homes intact.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
It does not matter what code is involved the siaution as it exists is very unsafe and extremely dangerous. the only reason there has not been serious injury and even death is that these home have no one living in the for a large part of the year. Not Grounding and bonding Corrugated Stainlees Steel Tubing and in particular running the Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing near a Gas Furance exhaust that sticks 6 ft into the air above the roof and acts like a natural lighting is so unbelivablely dangerous that you can not imagine how bad this is. You can delude your self into thinking that this is safe you can stick your head into the sand like a ostrich and ignore this but it is estasblished fact about these matters and the sooner Villagers take this seriously the better chance they have to keep there homes intact.

Legally it would matter if a home was built to code. If you feel that it is dangerous, you can have it removed I guess.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Default Vouchers to fix these firecode violations were discussed at last POA meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think it's pretty obvious OP meant those with gas homes should have their tubing checked.

Gracie, is there any way to find out if, indeed, they offered coupons for a fix for this in the past?
It is my understanding that this very subject was discussed at the last Property Owners Association meeting. The Villages knows about this problem and always has. Some people who realizied what was going on got vouchers to have the firecode violations fixed but others wer told that there were no more Vouchers and that they should live with it.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Default Safety Trumps everthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Legally it would matter if a home was built to code. If you feel that it is dangerous, you can have it removed I guess.
It does not matter what code is involved where if something is serious enough to cause death and serious injury it can not be done.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Sage

What was the code requirement when the homes were built? It was at least 3 but might be 4 years since they stopped putting gas lines in the street. Building codes are in a constant state of change.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Sage

Here it is. It was a national problem.

CSST Settlement - Home Page
Old 07-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
It does not matter what code is involved where if something is serious enough to cause death and serious injury it can not be done.
Ah, but it does matter what the code was when the house was built. If it was built to existing code, it's not the builder's or developer's problem to fix. It's the owner's problem.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Default Vouchers to repair Fire and Life Safety Codes Violation discussed at last POA meeting

I was not at the last POA meeting but I was told that the subject of Vouchers came up at that meeting and that at one time the Villages had recognized that this Fire and Life Safety Code Violations existed and they gave people vouchers to correct these violations. They only gave Vouchers to some people and then told the rest of the people that they had run out and to live with it. This information came from some who i would consider to be very relaible source but it would be very easy to check.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.