Corrugated Stainless Steel tubing in Attics and fire safety

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM

Gracie

These codes DO NOT APPLY to the issue.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Thank you, OP for all this info. We are now checking into having all gas removed from our home. Has anyone done this? We already took out the gas stove and gave it to a workman & replaced it with an electric stove.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,413 Posts

Class action lawsuit.................another opportunity for the lawyers to get rich!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,532 Times in 1,920 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn1 View Post
Gracie

These codes DO NOT APPLY to the issue.
WHAT codes do you speak of? I am a firm believer that everything is to code in the homes here.

Please come back on and tell us exactly what you mean and who told you. The OP has NEVER explained what her issue is and I am sure with all of the independent building inspectors we would have heard if there is something not to code. Personally I think all inflammables are a risk with the lightning strikes we have here, but that doesn't mean things aren't to code. I suspect this all stems from someone who enjoys stirring the pot and casting about rumors and innuendoes to damage the reputation of the developer.

The question was addressed in the POA bulletin but the answer did not to me clearly explain that the "vouchers" were from the manufacturer of CSST piping and did not come from the developer.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-05-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,532 Times in 1,920 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
WHAT codes do you speak of? I am a firm believer that everything is to code in the homes here.

Please come back on and tell us exactly what you mean and who told you. The OP has never CLEARLY explained what her issue is and WHO she blames and WHAT she wants done about it.

I am sure with all of the independent building inspectors we would have heard if there is something not to code. I suspect this all stems from someone who enjoys stirring the pot and casting about rumors and innuendoes to damage the reputation of the developer.

The question was addressed in the POA bulletin but the answer did not to me clearly explain that the "vouchers" were from the manufacturer of CSST piping and did not come from the developer.Also that it was a national issue.
bump
Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Please come back on and tell us exactly what you mean and who told you. The OP has NEVER explained what her issue is and I am sure with all of the independent building inspectors we would have heard if there is something not to code. Personally I think all inflammables are a risk with the lightning strikes we have here, but that doesn't mean things aren't to code. I suspect this all stems from someone who enjoys stirring the pot and casting about rumors and innuendoes to damage the reputation of the developer.

The question was addressed in the POA bulletin but the answer did not to me clearly explain that the "vouchers" were from the manufacturer of CSST piping and did not come from the developer.
When we had our home inspection at the end of our first year I asked the inspector about code compliance. He stated all TV homes are built to code. Although he is now an independent inspector, at one time he ran TV Warranty Department. I would think he should know! So I am a firm believer as well.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Sage
It would be interesting to see the location of the homes that burned to the ground from lightning strikes in The Villages. Did all of these homes have the corrugated stainless steel tubing in the attic, or were some of them totally electric?
Old 08-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You have a combination ..some where gas and some were electric homes. I know the most recent premier in Pinellas (4,000sf home and 2000sf garage)was all electric.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
It would be interesting to see the location of the homes that burned to the ground from lightning strikes in The Villages. Did all of these homes have the corrugated stainless steel tubing in the attic, or were some of them totally electric?
In the last 10 years 10 homes have been destroyed by lightning. Nine had CSST. The June fire in Pinellas was the first all electric home to be destroyed. There may be circumstantial evidence that CSST was involved in the nine events but as far as I have able to determine the homeowner insurance carriers forensic engineers report (assuming there was one) is a proprietary document. In once case even the homeowner was unable to obtain it. It is up to the insurance carrier to decide if they will initiate a lawsuit against the responsible party.

There is a lot of discussion on this thread about bonding and grounding. The current thinking (pending the outcome of some studies going on with the NFPA) this only applies to an INDIRECT lightning strike. That is one that strikes nearby your home but does not directly hit your home. The CSST industry says if you experience a DIRECT strike there is no piping that can stand up to forces that can be generated in such an event. The manufactures of CSST include rigid steel pipe in this category. Therefore, if your concern is a DIRECT strike you should consider a lightning protection system per NFPA 780, particularly in areas prone to lightning. See the July POA Bulletin that can be found on line for more information.

CSST, in spite of the 2007 class action lawsuit, is legal in all 50 states. The class action lawsuit was not a recall it was for failure to warn the users of the product.

One final point - there is a lot of discussion about TECO. TECO, like all utilities, is only responsible up to their meter. On the customer side of the meter the responsibility is between you the homeowner and a qualified and licensed gas plumbing firm and for bonding and grounding a licensed electrician.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
In the last 10 years 10 homes have been destroyed by lightning. Nine had CSST. The June fire in Pinellas was the first all electric home to be destroyed. There may be circumstantial evidence that CSST was involved in the nine events but as far as I have able to determine the homeowner insurance carriers forensic engineers report (assuming there was one) is a proprietary document. In once case even the homeowner was unable to obtain it. It is up to the insurance carrier to decide if they will initiate a lawsuit against the responsible party.

There is a lot of discussion on this thread about bonding and grounding. The current thinking (pending the outcome of some studies going on with the NFPA) this only applies to an INDIRECT lightning strike. That is one that strikes nearby your home but does not directly hit your home. The CSST industry says if you experience a DIRECT strike there is no piping that can stand up to forces that can be generated in such an event. The manufactures of CSST include rigid steel pipe in this category. Therefore, if your concern is a DIRECT strike you should consider a lightning protection system per NFPA 780, particularly in areas prone to lightning. See the July POA Bulletin that can be found on line for more information.

CSST, in spite of the 2007 class action lawsuit, is legal in all 50 states. The class action lawsuit was not a recall it was for failure to warn the users of the product.

One final point - there is a lot of discussion about TECO. TECO, like all utilities, is only responsible up to their meter. On the customer side of the meter the responsibility is between you the homeowner and a qualified and licensed gas plumbing firm and for bonding and grounding a licensed electrician.
Very helpful information, as always. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post

All those many wild opinions about this topic and finally a fact filled post. Thanks for summing it all up.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Default Florida Department of Emergency and CSST

The Florida department of Emergency Management is making inquires into if CSST is properly installed in the Villages. There is concern that CSST itself is a dangerous product. Even if you give that is safe if it is not installed properly to Manufactures installation instructions. NFPA, NEC, and other mechanical codes then it not considered safe. The installation is the key to all of this. It is my understanding that The Sumter County Building Official, and the Villages Fire Marshall have been asked to inspect these homes and certify in writing that the CSST as it is installed in these homes in the Villages is completely safe in particular to check the installation of CSST concerning grounding and bonding and the routing of CSST anywhere near metallic objects like the Gas Furnace Exhaust pipe. Whether CSST can be run near metal pipes or wiring. I would suggest that The Sumter County Building Official and the Villages Fire Marshal be contacted to get a written copy of there findings in relation to CSST installation and whether there are any Fire and Life Hazard's in these homes. They will be happy to provide you with a written copy of this information.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne321 View Post
The Florida department of Emergency Management is making inquires into if CSST is properly installed in the Villages. There is concern that CSST itself is a dangerous product. Even if you give that is safe if it is not installed properly to Manufactures installation instructions. NFPA, NEC, and other mechanical codes then it not considered safe. The installation is the key to all of this. It is my understanding that The Sumter County Building Official, and the Villages Fire Marshall have been asked to inspect these homes and certify in writing that the CSST as it is installed in these homes in the Villages is completely safe in particular to check the installation of CSST concerning grounding and bonding and the routing of CSST anywhere near metallic objects like the Gas Furnace Exhaust pipe. Whether CSST can be run near metal pipes or wiring. I would suggest that The Sumter County Building Official and the Villages Fire Marshal be contacted to get a written copy of there findings in relation to CSST installation and whether there are any Fire and Life Hazard's in these homes. They will be happy to provide you with a written copy of this information.

From where do you get your 'understanding'?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran member

The Villages has a "Fire Marshal?"
Old 08-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Sage

Every public safety dep't. has a fire marshall, with the exception of some very small volunteer departments. One of their jobs is to enforce the life safety code.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.