cost of enclosing patio

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2022, 09:45 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default cost of enclosing patio

I have a designer Lily Lanai is 28.5' by13' I would like to enclose with a low wall and low e windows. I work in glass fusion and kumihimo and my craft supplies are taking over. I figure a low bench could store supplies in bins under so thats why I want a low wall plus the rain beats in on the bottom 2' so a block wall under the windows would be best. Does anybody know how much something like this costs?
Also a friend recommended Harbor Town has anyone used them?
All help appreciated
Trudy in Tamarind grove
Old 11-13-2022, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I have a designer Lily Lanai is 28.5' by13' I would like to enclose with a low wall and low e windows. I work in glass fusion and kumihimo and my craft supplies are taking over. I figure a low bench could store supplies in bins under so thats why I want a low wall plus the rain beats in on the bottom 2' so a block wall under the windows would be best. Does anybody know how much something like this costs?
All help appreciated
Trudy in Tamarind grove
Harbor Town removed the sliders from the MBR to the lanai and put in a wall. Excellent job. On time and cleaned up.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

OP, remember the lanai has a sloped floor, ours is slightly larger than yours, but we have a 2-inch slope over the 13 feet. Depending on exactly what you want to do in this room this slope could interfere. You may also want to consider additional HVAC for this area, the mini-split systems seem to be in the $4000 to $5000 range. No idea on the enclosure costs. Also, make sure you maintain one or more exits, check building codes on this one.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

it cost me 13k , 3 years ago. i would think 18k now. thats for 2ft x 20wall and 6 large slider window and a new wood/glass door. best thing we did to our house.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
All help appreciated
Trudy in Tamarind grove
Harbortown extended our lanai and we were very happy with them. Everything on time and billed in stages as items were completed. Great communication along the way and very professional.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

$$$$ ?
Old 11-14-2022, 05:59 AM

We are in the process of getting quotes to enclose a lanai approximate 26 x 12 with new windows, A/C, insulation in ceiling, electrical, and new concrete to even out the flooring...looking at $25 to 30K
Old 11-14-2022, 06:04 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

$50,000 if you do it right.

We don't like mini-splits, installed 2nd unit.
Removed concrete and re-poured.
Improved lighting and plenty of outlets.
Insulation.
Good Windows............floor to ceiling.
Improved ceiling fan.
Wall to wall sliding glass door on one end.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Can’t take it with you ! Don’t cut corners and complain how you regret not getting a permit and a Well known builder…your job to Request Approval… 50k-60k with a Split AC unit
Old 11-14-2022, 07:32 AM

I used Harbortown Homes for a garage addition -- BIG MISTAKE! They subcontract EVERYTHING! They do NOT get their hands dirty for anything. The women in the office (wife of owner) is a true battleax (look it up. fits her perfectly). Worst experience of my life and I have had a lot of contracts as a homeowner/landlord of several properties. In addition to the 20% (overhead & Profit) above the cost of work being done, you pay an additional fee for "Supervisory Fee/Misc Labor" which happens to be their son, Mike. He comes over after workers leave and checks it out that days work and charges you. He has a different company name and you are charged - this is then charged to you, in addition to adding 20% on top of that! I chose them because they had been around a long time but was very disappointed in that they had absolutely no control over subcontractors and they came when they wanted! Waited days at a time. One contractor got Covid on Thursday and said he would be better on Tuesday! Was given an invoice each week and expected to pay each week, as work was done. I was ok with that. Job extended past anticipated date, due to delay after delay, so I left to go back upstate. A nightmare pursued -- all about the money for sure! Again, they do nothing but get the workers and bill you. I have had a few minor issues since construction and they do not make good on it. Everything is always someone else's fault! Check with Seniors against Crime. I reported them and they told me there were other negative reports as well on Harbortown Homes.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancymacy View Post
I used Harbortown Homes for a garage addition -- BIG MISTAKE! They subcontract EVERYTHING! They do NOT get their hands dirty for anything. The women in the office (wife of owner) is a true battleax (look it up. fits her perfectly). Worst experience of my life and I have had a lot of contracts as a homeowner/landlord of several properties. In addition to the 20% (overhead & Profit) above the cost of work being done, you pay an additional fee for "Supervisory Fee/Misc Labor" which happens to be their son, Mike. He comes over after workers leave and checks it out that days work and charges you. He has a different company name and you are charged - this is then charged to you, in addition to adding 20% on top of that! I chose them because they had been around a long time but was very disappointed in that they had absolutely no control over subcontractors and they came when they wanted! Waited days at a time. One contractor got Covid on Thursday and said he would be better on Tuesday! Was given an invoice each week and expected to pay each week, as work was done. I was ok with that. Job extended past anticipated date, due to delay after delay, so I left to go back upstate. A nightmare pursued -- all about the money for sure! Again, they do nothing but get the workers and bill you. I have had a few minor issues since construction and they do not make good on it. Everything is always someone else's fault! Check with Seniors against Crime. I reported them and they told me there were other negative reports as well on Harbortown Homes.
Your story , their story , then the real story
Old 11-14-2022, 08:04 AM

A neighbor expanded his home and enclosed the lanai - he used Demetri Homes and Remodeling 352-427-2787. The neighbor was extremely pleased with the quality of the work. I suggest that you get several quotes before proceeding.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

If you are going to spend this kind of money, do it right. We just enclosed our lanai and here’s what we did:
1) Used double pane windows with sliding windows on the ends for cross breezes.
2) leveled the floor to match the height of the floor in the main house
3) used the same tile as what’s in the house so the lanai looks like an extension to the house
4) add electrical outlets, cable rg6, and rg45 Ethernet cabling
5) use quality blinds to block the sun and heat from coming inside.
6) used Custom Windows to do the work. Since we have the sliders that open all the way behind the walls, we don’t really need any additional heat/cooling source.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:26 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Enclosed lanai

Be sure you get a firm quote on how long it will take to get the windows.

I recently did my room and some quoted 10 months to get the windows. I don't if supply chain issues are still affecting this.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

Lots of good advice. Be sure you find out the “class” of the enclosure. It can be done so it does not contribute to your livable and therefor taxable floor space (if that is an issue for you). We did exactly the same thing you want to do and had the slider to the master bedroom sealed as well. Suggest you check D and D builders. Also Simonton or Norandex windows with low-E glass. Good luck on your project. We did have quite a wait before the job was done.
Closed Thread

Tags
low, wall, windows, supplies, block

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.