cost of new a/c & furnace

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Here's a 2 ton system at Home Depot you can buy tomorrow for $1899. That's would probably make a wholesale price around $1000 to $1200. Seems like $3600 for your old system removed and replaced with a new system seems right. In 2011 I paid $3500 for a 2-1/2 ton Carrier system installed in my home in Baltimore.

The Villages Florida

Winchester 2 Ton 13 SEER Sweat A/C System with 17.5 in. Coil and 30 ft. Line Set-4RAC24S17-30 at The Home Depot
Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 AM

My neighbor just had a two and a half ton, thirteen seer Trane heat pump installed by Home Depot for $3,800.00. He is extremely happy with the installation which was done by a Home Depot Contractor.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default air conditioner

Found this online "New Energy Minimum Standards (January 1, 2015)

Regional climate differences play a part in the US Department of Energy’s revised energy minimum standards. The regional approach recognizes that there is little cost benefit to having a very high SEER air conditioning unit in the northeastern region of the United States, where cold weather often prevails. Starting January 1, 2015, central air conditioners installed in the southeastern and southwestern regions of the United States must be at least 14 SEER. Central air conditioners installed in all other states outside of the southeastern and southwestern regions must continue to be a minimum of 13 SEER. "
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Eternal Member

I spent $5,000 for a Amarillo. And I got a $500 rebate so it was $4,500.

After I installed the new A/C, we thought about enclosing the lanai and we found out that we would need a bigger A/C to cool the additional space. We did not want that auxiliary unit so we decided not to do the enclosure.

What I am trying to say is that if you have a lanai and ever want to enclose it, now would be a good time to have the installer make sure that the new A/C will handle it. The additional cost of a larger unit is not that much.

Z
Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
I was an HVAC contractor for 38 years in Massachusetts and in my opinion the contractors around here always scare people into premature replacement of their systems. An 8 or 10 year old system, even in this climate is NOT old. I've seen compressors that ran for forty years without a problem. What can really ruin an AC is running it with a low charge of refrigerant. The refrigerant cools the compressor. So the chances are that if you have a tight system that cools well and doesn't need Freon added every year it'll last a long time. Yes, fan motors and capacitors fail, but they shouldn't be that expensive to replace. I also hear all of the time about contractors saying you need a new evaporator coil. That too is rare - don't trust it! Bottom line- if your unit runs well and you get it checked periodically don't be pushed into unnecessary and costly replacement!
Smart great advice. 😉
Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Thanks for all your input.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:59 PM

THANK YOU ALL for your assistance!!..We are fortunate enough to have had our compressor blow (TRANE, 13 year old house) in the winter time and we will not call Munn's as we already know their pricing is NOT competitive. We have a 2004 square foot designer and got a very reasonable quote from Chuck Farrell for an entire new American Standard, 16 seer. We are getting 2 more quotes and will post on "who wins the job". ...I am also checking Consumer's Reports for ratings on Units.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:01 AM

On the surface the quote seems high. But, look closer.... what brand equipment? Any accessory items, such as a programmable thermostat? What SEER rating? Variable speed fan? Any modifications to be done to the present system?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:10 AM

The value of the price quote depends on a number of factors... among them the brand, the SEER rating, and how much in upgrades (such as a variable speed blower) is included. Also, is it gas heat/central air or simply a straight heat pump? All are heating/cooling systems, but the price can and will vary.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

We just purchase a new unit SEER 18 rated and company re-ran copper piping so it wasn't buried underground.

The blower went and clearly we could have just replaced the blower but then we spoke with a number of neighbors who had the same problems. Three replaced the entire HVAC unit one repaired and continued to sink more money in for repair.

We replaced a Trane (8 yrs)with a Carrier

The blower went out over a weekend when the temp was 90 and the humidity matched it. so we opted for new to reduce the chances that this would happen again.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 PM

My sister lives in the Village of Silver Lake (the historic side). She's has the same AC since "87. She signed up with Broward Factory Service (as did I) and if anything goes wrong, she gets it fixed -- free of charge. The AC, fridge, washer, dryer, etc. is under contract with them. I forget the premium, but I've used them and was completely satisfied. Seems a lot less than replacement.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccckkk View Post
My neighbor just had a two and a half ton, thirteen seer Trane heat pump installed by Home Depot for $3,800.00. He is extremely happy with the installation which was done by a Home Depot Contractor.
Home Depot has a trailer installed in the front of the store. It has information and set ups of the machinical systems that are in your home. AC, heat pumps , hot water heater replacement. A rep is there to give you information. HD only uses license , insured contractors for installations . Even if you don't use HD , you can get an idea what a replacement cost might be. Tell any contractors that are giving you a bid , to sharpen their pencil as you are going to get several bids for the job. Check out the contractors you are considering , with the BBB.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:44 AM

OK All, THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing A/C information!!!!We got about 5 quotes from several Companies including Chuck Farrell. HOWEVER, they did not beat AIRPRO AIR CONDITIONING Service, (Chris & Jason Swoap @ 352-233-5994) who gave us an option for a Goodman condenser/compressor replacement only (have one in Orlando lasting longer than the TRANE!! ), 3.5 TON & 13 SEER with R22 (The Villages had Trane install only a 10 SEER with the new construction and IT IS FACT the new UB coolant is worse for the environment)....we got a 10 year warranty and did not need to replace the entire system for a phenomenal price ..!!!!. THANKS TO AIR PRO...'TIS THE SEASON.... !!!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:28 AM

I use a guy from Lady lake he is the best. Call him just get a estament MIKE GOUGH phone#352-978-***1
Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

We moved into a new home in north KC 2 years ago with a Trane unit; during summer months, we would come home and house would be warm; everytime the breaker was thrown; called install company out numerous times (all under warranty) never could find anything; called a company out whose owner I play golf with a lot and his company found wrong wiring, wrong capacitors - A BRAND NEW UNIT FROM THE FACTORY. Fixed now; OP call the Vincent guy recommended and see if you can save money.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.