Cost of New Roof & Roof Type

Old 04-18-2024, 09:47 AM
Default Cost of New Roof & Roof Type

Hello,

For anyone who recently (past 3 years) had a roof put on, what was your cost and type of roof?

If you had a metal roof, does it hinder your cell phone signal?

What roofing company do you recommend?

I'm merely looking for estimates, as I know there are variables when it comes to actual cost.

Thank you so much!
Old 04-18-2024, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,770 Times in 5,270 Posts

I recommend McGinnis Builders or McHale Roofing.

Personally, I would replace my roof with the standard shingles used on most of the Villages houses. Using something different could make the roof more expensive or difficult to repair.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Sage

Cellular signal strength inside your house is generally not an issue since most phones support Wi-Fi calling (via your Wi-Fi router and ISP) so you don't need the signal from cell towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherflippinpicker View Post
Hello,

For anyone who recently (past 3 years) had a roof put on, what was your cost and type of roof?

If you had a metal roof, does it hinder your cell phone signal?

What roofing company do you recommend?

I'm merely looking for estimates, as I know there are variables when it comes to actual cost.

Thank you so much!
Old 04-18-2024, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Cellular signal strength inside your house is generally not an issue since most phones support Wi-Fi calling (via your Wi-Fi router and ISP) so you don't need the signal from cell towers.
True, but most people don't know what wifi calling is or how to turn it on.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
My phone detests wifi calling so I never have wifi enabled. My friends who have metal roofs cannot use their cell service inside their homes but I'm not sure if that's because of their proximity to a tower. I know metal roofs are the preferred roof now in FL but they have their drawbacks.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:18 PM
Sage

Most of the people I know are well aware of Wi-Fi calling and use it. If you travel outside the US there is a good probability you are aware of it and use it. If you buy your phone through a brick-and-mortar store (I don't) then I suspect there is a good probability the sales people will tell you about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Old 04-18-2024, 12:20 PM
Sage

I am guessing you don't have an iPhone. Wi-Fi calling works perfectly with my iPhone. If you do have an iPhone then you may have some other issues.

Quote:
My phone detests wifi calling so I never have wifi enabled. My friends who have metal roofs cannot use their cell service inside their homes but I'm not sure if that's because of their proximity to a tower. I know metal roofs are the preferred roof now in FL but they have their drawbacks.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Most of the people I know are well aware of Wi-Fi calling and use it. If you travel outside the US there is a good probability you are aware of it and use it. If you buy your phone through a brick-and-mortar store (I don't) then I suspect there is a good probability the sales people will tell you about it.
Interesting. Whenever I suggest that someone use wifi calling, they don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:30 PM
Sage

Going back about 15 years ago, I tried the predecessor of Wi-Fi calling; the AT&T microcell boxes. They created a small cellular zone inside your house and then routed the call through your router (the microcell box was hardwired to your router). That first generation had some issues so I did not keep it. Later, I tried a later generation and it pretty worked well. Eventually, I bought an iPhone that supported W-Fi calling and threw the microcell box away as Wi-Fi calling worked better.

Quote:
Interesting. Whenever I suggest that someone use wifi calling, they don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,403 Posts

Quote:
“Most” is a lot of people, which I doubt.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Preferred in Florida? 75 percent of new roofing projects are asphalt shingles versus 18 percent for metal roofs. But, in The Villages, the percentage of asphalt shingle roofs is even higher. Whenever I replace a major component of my house, I use the most standard component because I know that the contractors will be familiar with it, and, when I need to get it repaired, I won't have a problem getting the materials.

I remember another thread where a poster had waited 4 months for a circuit board to repair a fancy variable speed HVAC compressor. If he had bought a standard one-speed compressor, it would have been repaired in less than a day.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:35 PM
Gold member

Wifi calling works perfectly on my Android phone. It is practically all I use. Definitely all I use when home.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
“Most” is a lot of people, which I doubt.
Most means more than half. Maybe the people I know are ignorant, but my unscientific poll says that most people are not aware that their phone has the feature. Also, if your cell plan has unlimited calling, as long as you have a good cellular signal, there is no reason to ever use wifi calling. I have used it when I had trouble texting a photo attachment. Attachments seem to work better with wifi calling.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Preferred in Florida? 75 percent of new roofing projects are asphalt shingles versus 18 percent for metal roofs. But, in The Villages, the percentage of asphalt shingle roofs is even higher. Whenever I replace a major component of my house, I use the most standard component because I know that the contractors will be familiar with it, and, when I need to get it repaired, I won't have a problem getting the materials.

I remember another thread where a poster had waited 4 months for a circuit board to repair a fancy variable speed HVAC compressor. If he had bought a standard one-speed compressor, it would have been repaired in less than a day.
Clay/cement and metal are preferred due to the wind ratings.

Last edited by motherflippinpicker; 04-18-2024 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added words
Old 04-18-2024, 02:22 PM

I second using McGinnis Builders. 352-245-5651. But of course get 3 estimates and use your own judgement. McGinnis’ installation was seamless beginning to end. Plus they could get us in their schedule quicker than the big boys. They offer all the same shingle brands and since we were changing color were able to visit the shingle distributor to see color options on a bigger scale than a little brochure and shingle sample. Price of course is a variable dependent on your roof. But they did come in below the other 2 estimates we got. Ours was replaced 01/2024. My husband was a builder and we would recommend them. PS…sorry your post was hijacked into a conversation about cell phone connectivity.

Last edited by Sweatman; 04-18-2024 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Left out that our roof was replaced 01/2024

Tags
roof, cost, type, recently, estimates

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.