Cost of New Roof & Roof Type

Old 04-18-2024, 02:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

OP it looks like no one has had a roof put on in the last three years and can answer your question
Old 04-18-2024, 02:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,761 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherflippinpicker View Post
Hello,

For anyone who recently (past 3 years) had a roof put on, what was your cost and type of roof?

If you had a metal roof, does it hinder your cell phone signal?

What roofing company do you recommend?

I'm merely looking for estimates, as I know there are variables when it comes to actual cost.

Thank you so much!
Wish we could help you, noticed most were more interested in arguments about cell phones, metal versus shingle roofs, etc. No one who actually had a roof replaced even gave you a ball park figure to expect for an average price shingle ! We did have neighbors who replaced theirs around the end of '22. They have a 3 BR, designer model, standard 2 car garage (no extra golf cart garage), and about 10 ft. X 6 ft. roofed lanai (60 sf. of roofing). Don't remember to the penny, but think it cost them just under $13,000 dollars. Have a relative who has a smaller ranch home, they paid $10,000. By the way, in case you have wondered, BOTH had their annual insurance RAISED significantly after the replaced the roof.... apparently because that raises the value of the home if it had to be replaced ! ?
Old 04-18-2024, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherflippinpicker View Post
Hello,

For anyone who recently (past 3 years) had a roof put on, what was your cost and type of roof?

If you had a metal roof, does it hinder your cell phone signal?

What roofing company do you recommend?

I'm merely looking for estimates, as I know there are variables when it comes to actual cost.

Thank you so much!
I recently replaced the roof on my 2000 sq ft home. I quoted 6 different companies specifying either owens corning duration shingles or certainteed landmark. 5 of the companies quoted between $15,000 and $19,000. The sixth quoted $23,000.

I initially spent about 2 to 3 hours with each company understanding their quote and how they work. There was a lot of difference in what they considered “built to code”. There was a lot of difference in the amount of detail provided with each quote and how they work. Several of the quotes were less than 1 full page of detail …. they were the cheapest … I chose a company that was neither the cheapest nor most expensive, but they did provide lots of detail about what was included in the quote.

I highly recommend you get multiple quotes
Old 04-18-2024, 03:51 PM
Sage

If you don't mind, can you please summarize the most important items in the bid you selected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post
I recently replaced the roof on my 2000 sq ft home. I quoted 6 different companies specifying either owens corning duration shingles or certainteed landmark. 5 of the companies quoted between $15,000 and $19,000. The sixth quoted $23,000.

I initially spent about 2 to 3 hours with each company understanding their quote and how they work. There was a lot of difference in what they considered “built to code”. There was a lot of difference in the amount of detail provided with each quote and how they work. Several of the quotes were less than 1 full page of detail …. they were the cheapest … I chose a company that was neither the cheapest nor most expensive, but they did provide lots of detail about what was included in the quote.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Preferred in Florida? 75 percent of new roofing projects are asphalt shingles versus 18 percent for metal roofs.
What is the remaining 7%?
Old 04-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,752 Times in 5,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma318 View Post
What is the remaining 7%?
I don't know, it could be clay, concrete, tile, slate, etc.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweatman View Post
I second using McGinnis Builders. 352-245-5651. But of course get 3 estimates and use your own judgement. McGinnis’ installation was seamless beginning to end. Plus they could get us in their schedule quicker than the big boys. They offer all the same shingle brands and since we were changing color were able to visit the shingle distributor to see color options on a bigger scale than a little brochure and shingle sample. Price of course is a variable dependent on your roof. But they did come in below the other 2 estimates we got. Ours was replaced 01/2024. My husband was a builder and we would recommend them. PS…sorry your post was hijacked into a conversation about cell phone connectivity.
Thank you for the information and the recommendation. It's very appreciated.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Wish we could help you, noticed most were more interested in arguments about cell phones, metal versus shingle roofs, etc. No one who actually had a roof replaced even gave you a ball park figure to expect for an average price shingle ! We did have neighbors who replaced theirs around the end of '22. They have a 3 BR, designer model, standard 2 car garage (no extra golf cart garage), and about 10 ft. X 6 ft. roofed lanai (60 sf. of roofing). Don't remember to the penny, but think it cost them just under $13,000 dollars. Have a relative who has a smaller ranch home, they paid $10,000. By the way, in case you have wondered, BOTH had their annual insurance RAISED significantly after the replaced the roof.... apparently because that raises the value of the home if it had to be replaced ! ?
Thank you! We were estimating around 12-15k so it looks like our estimates were correct.

My neighbors here where we are currently also had the their rates raised after the roof was replaced. I think everyone is suffering from high insurance right now with home and auto.

One of the homes we are looking at needs a roof, so that's why I asked. I wanted to kind of figure in any renovations, compared to the asking and what we will offer.

Thank you so very much!
Old 04-18-2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post

Very helpful information. Thank you so much!
Old 04-19-2024, 04:46 AM

I highly recommend McHale Roofing. As a REALTOR®, I have recommended them to others, and they’ve been quite happy with the work done and the price. I agree with the recommendations that do get quotes from various companies. You want to go with the one that you feeling comfortable with. Another company I have heard very good things about is Eustis Roofing. They’ve been so busy in this area, too, they actually opened up an office in Lady Lake last year.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

I had Secured Roofing and they got the insurance company to pay for it ( this was this year)
Old 04-19-2024, 07:06 AM

Used The Roof Guys in Ocala. Their quote was about the same as others. They have an excellent rating with BBB, did a wonderful job and added a solar tube too. I highly recommend them. They gave been in business for over 15 years and have a local Villages salesperson.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:18 AM

We just replaced our roof on our 2000 sq ft house in the Villages.
I got three quotes from reputable big name roofers who are highly recommended.
Two of the quotes came in at about $16,500.
Big D roofing out of Ocala came in at $14,500 so we hired them.
They did a great job. Their communication was excellent and everything was done as stated in the contract.

You may need to get a permit (as we did) and have approval from the Architechural Review Committee.
There is an office in Sumter Landing on the second floor near Starbucks. The staff there are very helpful.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:38 AM

I used APC and offered them a lot less than they or others quoted and they accepted my offer and did a great job three and a half years ago.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:38 AM

We had our roof done 3 years ago with quotes running $13000 to $19000 on an extended Lantana with golf cart garage. At the time we did asphalt shingles.

If you are serious about a metal roof, make sure that you get proper approvals before going forward. You might want to see if your insurance will give you a longer lifetime on a metal roof. They seem to be after homeowners to replace asphalt shingle roofs after 15 years.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)

Tags
roof, cost, type, recently, estimates

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.