Cost of Removing Confederate Statues

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2021, 06:05 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Where we are today. National debt is now 30 Trillion dollars. I seem to be one of the only who realize I do not comprehend one trillion let alone 30 of them. We chat about billions. Hey a million here a million there get 100 million together before another 100 million and oops we have one trillion. No need to ask if an expense is worth while we are not even actually printing it. Most of the debt is just computer notes. No one is even asking you owe us half a trillion we owe you a trillion so REALITY we owe you not a trillion but half a trillion.

China is holding a lot of our debt, just hope that they don’t try to ask for the cash
Old 09-28-2021, 07:20 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
China is holding a lot of our debt, just hope that they don’t try to ask for the cash
We could just give them California and call it even.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
We could just give them California and call it even.
I'm sure that giving them CA would be insulting to them. But, I would vote for it.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
I'm sure that giving them CA would be insulting to them. But, I would vote for it.
Careful, most of the southern and mid-western states would go broke without California tax money to bail them out every year.

An interesting tidbit you may not know - more people voted for Trump in California than did in Florida.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
Careful, most of the southern and mid-western states would go broke without California tax money to bail them out every year.

An interesting tidbit you may not know - more people voted for Trump in California than did in Florida.

Not impressed. I'd still give it to China or back to Mexico. But make them take the citizens too. And no returns.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Not impressed. I'd still give it to China or back to Mexico. But make them take the citizens too. And no returns.
I posted something like this on a different thread yesterday, but it fits here since California bashers seem to have arrived with the love-bugs.

Warning to those who hate California - history shows us that most things which start in California end up everywhere within about 10 years. Emission controls, seat belt requirements, ban of smoking, hot tubs, you name it. So get ready.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I don't believe that. Slavery was going to disappear anyway. It was inevitable. Most of the concern in the South was over economics and the overreach of the Federal Government.
Yes, it was more economically beneficial for them to own slaves. They didn't have to PAY them. They were cheaper to care for than pack animals, easier to breed new ones by simply having Junior learn about the birds and the bees by raping a few of the females.

In fact, breeding new slaves was lucrative, they could earn money with healthy ones, selling them at auctions.

The South prospered on the backs (and in the wombs) of slaves. The north wanted to take that prosperity away.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

For you California doomsayers:

California Defies Doom With No. 1 U.S. Economy - Bloomberg
Old 09-28-2021, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Yes, it was more economically beneficial for them to own slaves. They didn't have to PAY them. They were cheaper to care for than pack animals, easier to breed new ones by simply having Junior learn about the birds and the bees by raping a few of the females.

In fact, breeding new slaves was lucrative, they could earn money with healthy ones, selling them at auctions.

The South prospered on the backs (and in the wombs) of slaves. The north wanted to take that prosperity away.

Obviously, someone has been watching reruns of Gone with the Wind.........
Old 09-28-2021, 03:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Obviously, someone has been watching reruns of Gone with the Wind.........
Based on the number of posts, in different threads, it seems reruns of 'The Birth of A Nation' is even more popular down there.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Based on the number of posts, in different threads, it seems reruns of 'The Birth of A Nation' is even more popular down there.
You know, I didn't remember learning about this film, until I just looked it up thanks to your post. And it really does explain SO much about some of the attitudes here - on this forum, and in the community as a whole.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You know, I didn't remember learning about this film, until I just looked it up thanks to your post. And it really does explain SO much about some of the attitudes here - on this forum, and in the community as a whole.
Good point, I should have included a link to it in my post, so here it is now.

100 Years Later, What's The Legacy Of 'Birth Of A Nation'? : Code Switch : NPR
Closed Thread

Tags
confederate, statues, insist, cost, remove

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.