?? Cost of STREET LEGAL Golf Car insurance ??

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Just got insurance through AAA, progressive. They took a copy of the re-registration and said nothing about a question of speed. I will check with the authorities and report what they say. If nothing else I could probably have it governed to go no more than 20. My observation is that at least half the carts in TV are capable of more than 20 mph.

I'd say more like 95% exceed 20!
They (insurance agents) will SELL you anything based on what YOU tell them however if you have an accident and someone sues you your insurance company can refuse to pay when/if they find out. It has nothing to do with your agent.

Just "regoverning" it doesn't help. It must be certified in writing by a licensed dealer as it is now registered by the state as a LSV and that's what it stays. Once it is assigned a vehicle VIN there's not much you can do. That's why dealers in FL rarely knowingly take a street legal cart in trade (which is what I was told by Villages GC).

I would speak to the Sherrif's office and DMV and see what you need to do to have it decertified if that is what you want to do.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
As I wrote in my OP, that is what I did and is why I am checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, I misread original post, but Villages Insurance handles several insurance companies, however I see you have gotten replies that the cost is in the several hundred dollars.

One other thought occurred to me, if I understand it correctly, once you go "street legal" you may actually be restricted from some golf cart areas. For example, street legal cannot use golf cart lanes on multi-modal roads, there may be other restrictions. I have no idea of using one of these for golfing and the golf course trails. I have NOT researched this, but I recall some previous discussions. The one thing I do recall was that this whole situation (where you can and cannot drive) is very confusing.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Sorry, I misread original post, but Villages Insurance handles several insurance companies, however I see you have gotten replies that the cost is in the several hundred dollars.

One other thought occurred to me, if I understand it correctly, once you go "street legal" you may actually be restricted from some golf cart areas. For example, street legal cannot use golf cart lanes on multi-modal roads, there may be other restrictions. I have no idea of using one of these for golfing and the golf course trails. I have NOT researched this, but I recall some previous discussions. The one thing I do recall was that this whole situation (where you can and cannot drive) is very confusing.
I'd bet $5 that is absolutely not true. Many people SAY this but I have yet to see it in writing anywhere. The only difference is the max speed.

According to thje sherrif's office the only thing that controls those rules is the state dmv regs and I doubt there are any "diamond lane" or MMP rules there.

Edit: Of course T.V. can make rules but I haven't seen any of them IN WRITING yet either if they exist.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 03-03-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:47 PM

Are you required by law to have insurance on a street legal golf cart?
Old 03-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
It's about $350/yr more after yr 1 and the carts are the same price. They just allow them to go faster and drive a few places others can't but as usual this thread is going off topic and will turn into the usual blatter.
Just going by what you posted:

Still considering the value of Strret Legal it for my needs. With registration over $200 and other state fees of around $200 plus the insurance it ain't cheap.

Regular golf cart costs me $100 per year insurance, no registration fees etc. You say other state fees of $200 per year plus insurance (quoted on this thread at $650 per year) How does tht add up to only $350 per year extra after year one?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post

Still considering the value of Strret Legal it for my needs. With registration over $200 and other state fees of around $200 plus the insurance it ain't cheap.

Regular golf cart costs me $100 per year insurance, no registration fees etc. You say other state fees of $200 per year plus insurance (quoted on this thread at $650 per year) How does tht add up to only $350 per year extra after year one?
Those are the initial fees. I'll have to check if I said "per year". Tags, title, inspection fee are one time + insurance. After year 1 the only diff is the insurance costs which (in my case) would be around $160 vs ~$525 if I do S.L..

FWIW I have full coverage on my "cart" ($500K liability, collision PIP, UM, etc) just like my car or it would be somewhat less.

This is from FL DMV (initial fees):
11. Applicable fees.
a. Inspection fee - $40
b. Title fee - $75.25 to $85.25
c. Plate fee - $28 or plate to transfer
d. Initial Registration Fee - $225 (if applicable)
e. Registration fee varies by weight of vehicle

Either you misunderstood me or I made a typo.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Sage

Anyone interested, attached is the Florida DMV brochure on licensing a golf cart to a LSV.

Oh well, system won't allow me to upload a small PDF file. Here is the link:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/mv/lowspeedvehicles.pdf
Old 03-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
I'd say more like 95% exceed 20!
They (insurance agents) will SELL you anything based on what YOU tell them however if you have an accident and someone sues you your insurance company can refuse to pay when/if they find out. It has nothing to do with your agent.

Just "regoverning" it doesn't help. It must be certified in writing by a licensed dealer as it is now registered by the state as a LSV and that's what it stays. Once it is assigned a vehicle VIN there's not much you can do. That's why dealers in FL rarely knowingly take a street legal cart in trade (which is what I was told by Villages GC).

I would speak to the Sherrif's office and DMV and see what you need to do to have it decertified if that is what you want to do.
As I previously stated, the cart has been decertified. I have a copy of the state title cancel. Title issue date 1/06/2010. Title cancel date 3/28/2016. Cancel reason; converted to golf cart. Title status; cancelled. If the 95% is true then, according to what is being said, almost no one will be protected by insurance. Sorry for the thread takeover.

Last edited by eweissenbach; 03-03-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Those are the initial fees. I'll have to check if I said "per year". Tags, title, inspection fee are one time + insurance. After year 1 the only diff is the insurance costs which (in my case) would be around $160 vs ~$525 if I do S.L..

FWIW I have full coverage on my "cart" ($500K liability, collision PIP, UM, etc) just like my car or it would be somewhat less.

This is from FL DMV (initial fees):
11. Applicable fees.
a. Inspection fee - $40
b. Title fee - $75.25 to $85.25
c. Plate fee - $28 or plate to transfer
d. Initial Registration Fee - $225 (if applicable)
e. Registration fee varies by weight of vehicle

Either you misunderstood me or I made a typo.
Ok understand. It's your money after all. Personally I don't see any advantage of having SL cart. There is nowhere in TV I want to go that I can't reach in regular cart. The less time I spend sharing streets with cars the better. That's where most of the accidents occur.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
As I previously stated, the cart has been decertified. I have a copy of the state title cancel. Title issue date 1/06/2010. Title cancel date 3/28/2016. Cancel reason; converted to golf cart. Title status; cancelled. If the 95% is true then, according to what is being said, almost no one will be protected by insurance. Sorry for the thread takeover.

Missed that. Good on recertification . I'd guess 95 % is close. Rarely see a cart that doesn't go 22. As for the insurance if there is a major injury and lawyers involved that would be a easy find. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be many cart vs. people accidents.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Ok understand. It's your money after all. Personally I don't see any advantage of having SL cart. There is nowhere in TV I want to go that I can't reach in regular cart. The less time I spend sharing streets with cars the better. That's where most of the accidents occur.

One advantage I like is they can't give you a speeding ticket for exceeding 20mph in a GC. [emoji4]

Data point: Sumter Sherrif (speaking at a club meeting this week) said there were 29 GC speeding tickets given out last year. Cost around $750 before all is said and done plus 2 court appearances as it isn't a traffic ticket but a misdemeanor for driving an unlicensed unregistered vehicle. They make you have it rectified for under 20mph.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Sage

They presumably can give you a ticket for exceeding 25 mph in street legal golf cart, however. 29 total golf cart speeding tickets indicates that your chances of getting a speeding ticket is essentially zero. I believe there are in excess of 50,000 golf carts in The Villages.

Quote:
One advantage I like is they can't give you a speeding ticket for exceeding 20mph in a GC. [emoji4]

Data point: Sumter Sherrif (speaking at a club meeting this week) said there were 29 GC speeding tickets given out last year. Cost around $750 before all is said and done plus 2 court appearances as it isn't a traffic ticket but a misdemeanor for driving an unlicensed unregistered vehicle. They make you have it rectified for under 20mph.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Isn't the real determining factor where the rubber meets the road? (PUN intended).
That is what street legal infers.
If you drive on the automobile roadways you are required to have registration/insurance/etc.

As for whether they are allowed on the MMP....well good luck. Anybody care to guess how many street legal carts are on the MMP at any given time of day?

If they are allowed on the golf course (and that is why some have the speed selector switch) then they are using the rest of the path system as well.

Has anybody ever heard a good rational reason for needing to go the increased 5-10 mph faster?
To justify the approaching $1000 annual cost for registration/insurance/etc?

To me the need for street legal capability is very similar to needing to measure a watermelon with a micrometer!!!
Old 03-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Isn't the real determining factor where the rubber meets the road? (PUN intended).
That is what street legal infers.
If you drive on the automobile roadways you are required to have registration/insurance/etc.

As for whether they are allowed on the MMP....well good luck. Anybody care to guess how many street legal carts are on the MMP at any given time of day?

If they are allowed on the golf course (and that is why some have the speed selector switch) then they are using the rest of the path system as well.

Has anybody ever heard a good rational reason for needing to go the increased 5-10 mph faster?
To justify the approaching $1000 annual cost for registration/insurance/etc?

To me the need for street legal capability is very similar to needing to measure a watermelon with a micrometer!!!

Of course they can give a ticket for exceeding 25. But that's "just" a speeding ticket and not a misdemeanor violation punishable by "up to 1yr in the hoosegow."

As for "needing" one, as you say, YOUR conception of "needing" may be different than mine or your neighbors. Do people "really need" to drive a $90,000 car when the $32,000 accomplishes the same thing and gains them nothing." Do people "need" a $1.5million dollar home when a $400,000 one can do the same?

What any one of us "really needs" varies greatly and has many variables creating those "needs."

And for the 2nd time it is not $1000 per year, nothing close. After first year it's only the insurance delta.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:

Again I repeat: After reg, title, inspection & tags and insurance the first year, further yearly costs are ONLY the INSURANCE DIFFERENCE from not S.L. + $25/yr for reg renewal. THAT is what I meant so, once again, if my explanation was not clear I apologize. Obviously one doesn't pay all those "initial" registration, inspection, title & tag fees every year.

Read the State of FL brochure I posted a link to. It explains all the INITIAL ONE TIME FEES and all will then be clear.
Closed Thread

Tags
legal, street, car, insurance, close

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.