Costco coming?

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2018, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
But he might be in on the huge Bush Beans conspiracy !

Think it’s funny huh ? Bush beans make me fart, can’t eat ‘em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 07:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post

What's wrong with a "little" gas?
Old 06-27-2018, 12:29 PM

Looking out my office window at a Costco that will open on July 19th. Our city population is 16,500 but we serve about 250,000 people county wide. Can’t wait for the doors to open.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Do you mean THIS SAM's or SAMs in general or SAMs compared to ACE hardware? While no one knows how THIS location does the fact they remain opened doesn't mean this location is profitable. Large businesses (WALMART/SAMs is that for sure) can "spread" losses and profits among hundreds of locations. If they do well in 300 locations they can afford to do not so well in a couple others and remain there "for the community."

I am at THIS SAM's just about weekly and rarely find them busy except around the first of the months in the fall/winter when snowbirds start coming back. Of course the $1.50 dog and soda brings folks in for lunch. SAMs has closed a LOT of locations this year so they are obviously trying to keep the average up and weed out some of the dogs. They closed an almost brand new location near where I used to live (~20 miles from NYC) and it was 10x busier during slow hours then I have ever seen this one during peak hours which really surprised me. There was a BJ's 3 miles down the road and a Costco 8 miles away.
I find it hard to believe the Villages Sam's Club would not be profitable.They just remodeled the store, adding a new fresh "Premium" meat case selling steaks at $35 pound plus fresh seafood and sushi. Their wine selection has improved offfering more top end Cabernets and other fine wines. I dont think they are hurting...good for them a
nd good for us!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post

Ok however could you explain the " conspiracy " about Bush Beans being the only choice at all Publix Stores ?
Old 06-28-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Costco has a very strict and very elaborate marketing, merchandising and sales plan based on demographics, population, number of households and the number of people in those households. They use a "rifle" strategic marketing approach for new stores vs a shotgun approach like Walmart and Sam's. At present I do not believe TV fits their plan. They nail it down to the number of cars in their parking lot during a given time and the number of people in their stores and the amount of goods they purchase. The only place I could see a Costco being opened closer than Orlando is possibly South of Ocala but I do not believe that will happen anytime soon. Hope I am wrong but I dealt with big box stores in my profession and that is what I see.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Gold member

No reason for Costco to move close to The Villages. They just have to wait for The Villages to reach an existing Costco location.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
No reason for Costco to move close to The Villages. They just have to wait for The Villages to reach an existing Costco location.

A clever spin on the Disney theme.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I find it hard to believe the Villages Sam's Club would not be profitable.They just remodeled the store, adding a new fresh "Premium" meat case selling steaks at $35 pound plus fresh seafood and sushi. Their wine selection has improved offfering more top end Cabernets and other fine wines. I dont think they are hurting...good for them a
nd good for us!

I never said they weren't profitable since I have no access to their books. However, the fact they are adding things has no bearing on their profitability or lack thereof. It usually means they are trying to attract people who they haven't attracted before. That would be the right way to improve business and the bottom line. However that being said, I belonged to Sam's (as well as Costco) up north and there was a Sam's in my town. There was barely a day or time when the lines were 10-15 deep at 5-10 registers (depending on time of day) with the majority being commercial buyers with orders of $500+ easy and that store was CLOSED 6 months ago when they went on a closing spree at stores that weren't doing as they expected. Sam's here is more like a supermarket where the vast majority of people I have seen in line or checking out at the door have relatively small orders, sometimes 1 item. In general I'll bet this store isn't anywhere in the top 2/3rds of their stores. These stores do a huge amount of business to business but this location seems more like a local supermarket despite all the other items they carry. Most of the homeowners here don't need 10 gallon bottles of mayonnaise or mustard or 6lb packages of salmon but the $4 roasted chicken is good. There just isn't room to store it.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
iT SOUNDS AS IF THEY CONSIDER US A SEASONAL POPULATION. I LIE HERE YEAR ROUND AS DO MANY, MANY PEOPLE. IF SAMS IS SHOPPED ENOUGH TO KEEP THEM OPEN I WOULD THINK COSTCO WOULD BE ALSO. NOW IF WE CAN JUST GET A TRADER JOES!
You do know there is a Costco inOcala, right? That’s closer than it was to me in NY and surely close enough to go once a month.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Strange then that I do over 600 inspections here in The Villages yearly, and I see SO MANY homes full of Kirkland stuff. Orlando has 3 Costco's there....

Add to that fact, I've never seen Sam's Club empty here...and BJ's in Clermont also does quite well....I would LOVE a closer Costco. I guess only time will tell.

Until then, going to Costco near Millenia Mall is something we enjoy doing....I like going to that one more than the one in Altamonte Springs....

Frank
600 inspections - sounds like room for more inspection business. Thanks for information
Old 06-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Ocala?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
You do know there is a Costco inOcala, right? That’s closer than it was to me in NY and surely close enough to go once a month.
I thought the closest was Orlando.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Perfect jblum. We belonged to B.J.'S, Sam's & Costco at the same time during a move inside N.J. I don't really get the need for a Costco. For us, all three are so similar it doesn't really matter. For other's sake, I hope they get their beloved Costco.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Perfect jblum. We belonged to B.J.'S, Sam's & Costco at the same time during a move inside N.J. I don't really get the need for a Costco. For us, all three are so similar it doesn't really matter. For other's sake, I hope they get their beloved Costco.
I find the prime meat meat and wine selection much better at Costco than Sams. We go to Costco a minimum of once a month. Have a Sams membership and rarely go.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:40 AM

Unfortunately there isn’t a store in Ocala. Closest is Altemonte Springs in Orlando or Wesley Chapel off 75 near Tampa.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.