Old 06-02-2021, 09:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts
Default Costco to open in Clermont

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...y-florida.html
Old 06-02-2021, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Been hearing rumors about this but glad it is coming but wish it would have been closer to us.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Been hearing rumors about this but glad it is coming but wish it would have been closer to us.

Depends. Closer than Spanish Springs from the southern Villages.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

Getting closer
Old 06-02-2021, 02:40 PM
Platinum member

The novelty of Costco wears off very quickly except for the hot dog deal up front.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The competition near Lowes on 441 is really heating up. BJ'S is moving fast.

Lemme see, drive an hour or join a Wholesale Club I can access by car or Golf Cart? HMMMMMMMMMMM!

If I really need something from Costco I'll pay the freight and have it shipped.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:06 PM

I get folk's desire for big box stores, especially 'discount' ones like Costco, but in our experience they can really impact quality of life in the nearby communities they market to. More traffic and in my experience more crime come hand-in-hand with the increased number of people coming from outside a community to shop (or other less desirable activities) there. There is nothing wrong with the big box stores themselves, just the crowds they bring in. We purchased in the villages for the quality of life there, I would hate for it to be diminished just for more nearby shopping. Not flaming anyone who disagrees, just our perspective from experience in Peachtree City, GA another bedroom community somewhat ruined by uncontrolled growth. Take care everyone.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:30 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Would have been nice to read the article but it's blocked unless you are a subscriber.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Would have been nice to read the article but it's blocked unless you are a subscriber.
Google is... https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...y-florida.html
Old 06-02-2021, 05:26 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Would not drive to Clermont to shop a Costco. They used to be good on tires, but other items could be found locally at same price or lower.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:26 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
I get folk's desire for big box stores, especially 'discount' ones like Costco, but in our experience they can really impact quality of life in the nearby communities they market to. More traffic and in my experience more crime come hand-in-hand with the increased number of people coming from outside a community to shop (or other less desirable activities) there. There is nothing wrong with the big box stores themselves, just the crowds they bring in. We purchased in the villages for the quality of life there, I would hate for it to be diminished just for more nearby shopping. Not flaming anyone who disagrees, just our perspective from experience in Peachtree City, GA another bedroom community somewhat ruined by uncontrolled growth. Take care everyone.
Clermont is not in The Villages. Hard to see how any potential negative impact would affect us here.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:43 PM

The article says “discussion continues on a potential new Costco on State Road 50…in Clermont. Costco reportedly has been eyeing the Clermont area for years for a future location.”

Not a done deal.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The competition near Lowes on 441 is really heating up. BJ'S is moving fast.

Lemme see, drive an hour or join a Wholesale Club I can access by car or Golf Cart? HMMMMMMMMMMM!

If I really need something from Costco I'll pay the freight and have it shipped.
Last time I was down I heard that BJs was not building and a housing development was going in instead.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:41 AM

Confirmed: Costco to open new
location in Clermont

Jun 1, 2021, 11:55am EDT Updated: Jun 1, 2021, 12:01pm EDT

It's official: Costco wants to open a store in Clermont. Seattle-based Costco Wholesale
Corp. (Nasdaq: COST) is seeking approvals and permits from the city of Clermont for a future warehouse on State Road 50 north of Magnolia Pointe Boulevard on 19.2 acres, according to city documents. A planning and zoning meeting concerning the Costco will be held at 6:30 p.m. on June 1. Orlando Business Journal first reported in January that Costco, one of the world's largest retailers, was eyeing the site for its next Central Florida location.

The store will be 151,000 square feet, which is a typical size for a Costco location. The project will generate temporary construction jobs, as well as hundreds of full-time retail positions after it's built, making it an important economic generator.

The project team includes Colliers Engineering & Design as engineer; Orlando-based Archon Commercial Advisors as broker; Atlantic Retail Partner John Dottore as broker representing Costco; and Jacksonville-based Driver, McAfee, Hawthorne & Diebenow PLLC Vice President Brad Wester as planner. The landowner is Plaza Collina Orlando Asli VI LLLP, which is related to Winter Park-based developer Avanti Properties Group.

Avanti CEO Marvin Shapiro declined to comment and other project representatives weren't available for comment.

Costco needs site review and building permit approvals before construction can start, but a project timeline wasn't known, said Kathryn Deen, communications director for the city of Clermont. It's the latest Costco in Central Florida, as the Seattle retailer also plans to open a location in Viera. Florida has 28 Costco warehouses, which is the fourth-most in the U.S. behind Washington, Texas and California.

Big deal

Once it's completed, a typical Costco employs more than 300 people, according to Buzzfeed, and a single warehouse can generate $192 million in annual sales, according to Statista. Real estate experts say those eye-popping sales numbers — which Investopedia reported top all other single retailer locations in the U.S. — will attract other retailers who want to be near Costco.

"This is a generator that can anchor any type of mixed-use activity center, and they've got the land over there to do it," previously said Brian Grandstaff, principal at Millenia Partners who isn't involved in the deal. "It's going to be great not only for Clermont but also Winter Garden."

Costco has been growing faster since the start of the pandemic. In the U.S., Costco doubled the number of its warehouse openings in first-quarter 2021 from three to seven year-over-year, according to company filings. The retailer expects to open another 12-14 warehouses through the rest of its 2021 fiscal year. That growth joined a net sales surge of 16.9% year-over-year.

Retail stats

The Clermont/Lake County retail submarket features a 2.5%
average vacancy rate, which is lower than the Orlando-area
average of 5.8%, Colliers International Central Florida reported.
That shows demand for retail in the area.

In addition, the retail submarket's average asking rental rate was
$19.15 per square foot, compared with the Orlando-area average of
$18.57 per square foot.

Jack Witthaus
Staff Writer
Orlando Business Journal
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 06-06-2021, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

I don’t get it, why would I pay 120 bucks year just for privilege to shop in their store. They should be paying me!
Closed Thread

Tags
costco, open, clermont, source

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.