COSTCO Water management plans

Old 04-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
You would think, since there is already a Sam's and BJ's in that area, Costco would do better further south (either on 44 or 466A). But they have no doubt done the research and most certainly know what will work best.
I think Costco trying to avoid opening near a Sam's or BJ's due to competition, would be like a Walmart Supercenter being afraid of opening up near a Kmart.

To me, when you look at things, 466 is an overall better location. Established population, close to 301, close to Ocala, not a bad drive from Gainesville plus golf cart accessible.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Hate to be a Debbie Downer on Costco, but this is a terrible location. The traffic will be horrendous! One has to remember a Costco will draw customers from outside of The Villages. It is likely that both Wedgewood Lane and Woodbridge Drive will need to be increased to four lanes, stop lights, turn lanes, etc. The infrastructure is just not there to support a store this large.

I hope Costco comes to the area, just not here. Lastly, for the other commenters, I would think you will lose golf cart access to Costco and all the businesses west of the planned location.
Has the size of the store been announced?
Lose golf cart access? Nah. Them other stores will have a say.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Maybe Costco is luring people from Ocala?????? Staying north may be the better option for them.
Bingo!
Old 04-22-2024, 07:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Those folks down south must be upset, to say the least.
Nope, Clermont is closer with less traffic.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I think Costco trying to avoid opening near a Sam's or BJ's due to competition, would be like a Walmart Supercenter being afraid of opening up near a Kmart.

Just the opposite. Costco builds where the market exists. They can be predatory to established business as they grab significant existing market share and recruit management and employees from those businesses.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:14 AM
Default Costco coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Thanks!

Probably not great news for all the other big box stores in the area.
On an economic basis competition is a good thing! It creates more business for everyone and for consumers gives us more choices.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Hate to be a Debbie Downer on Costco, but this is a terrible location. The traffic will be horrendous! One has to remember a Costco will draw customers from outside of The Villages. It is likely that both Wedgewood Lane and Woodbridge Drive will need to be increased to four lanes, stop lights, turn lanes, etc. The infrastructure is just not there to support a store this large.

I hope Costco comes to the area, just not here. Lastly, for the other commenters, I would think you will lose golf cart access to Costco and all the businesses west of the planned location.
The location road wise is an exact replica of BJ's on 441. One block off the main highway. The side street was not widened to 4 lanes. Still golf cart accessible.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
You would think, since there is already a Sam's and BJ's in that area, Costco would do better further south (either on 44 or 466A). But they have no doubt done the research and most certainly know what will work best.
I'm not ruling out that another Costco might be added down South.

I moved here from Oregon 4 years ago. From my home in Beaverton, we had 5 Costco's within 25 minutes. All has 95% of the same products, but that other 5% got me to visit each of them quite frequently.

Costco works on volume and knowing its customers. The new Clermont Costco is quite busy and quite crowded, so they have new data for their future plans.

The Villages and its partners now own that huge swath of land between I-75/301 and 44/Colman. That's a lot of acreage to fill with residential, commercial, and industrial development.

Perhaps in my lifetime <grin and a wink>.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 04-23-2024, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
I'm not ruling out that another Costco might be added down South.

I moved here from Oregon 4 years ago. From my home in Beaverton, we had 5 Costco's within 25 minutes. All has 95% of the same products, but that other 5% got me to visit each of them quite frequently.

Costco works on volume and knowing its customers. The new Clermont Costco is quite busy and quite crowded, so they have new data for their future plans.

The Villages and its partners now own that huge swath of land between I-75/301 and 44/Colman. That's a lot of acreage to fill with residential, commercial, and industrial development.

Perhaps in my lifetime <grin and a wink>.
Well, a lot of it is population density and average household disposable income. When I lived in South Orange County (CA), I had 3 Costcos within 15 minutes: two in Laguna Niguel and the one in San Juan Capistrano. I had 4 Trader Joe's within 10 minutes (Laguna Niguel, Laguna Beach, San Clemente, and Aliso Viejo). All the Costcos had food courts, tire stations, gas stations, pharmacies, and optometrists. The SJC one had a carwash!

However, South OC is quite dense and has an exceptionally high average household disposable income. It is not dense like NYC, but dense like L.A., with a higher household income. That is why shops like Tiffany, Cartier, Louis Vuitton, etc. are all either South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island malls. Many 2nd tier stores at nearby Shoppes at Mission Viejo also.

Not sure The Villages can boast that type of demographic that would encourage Costco to build yet a third Villages-adjacent store. Or TJ's even a single store : (
Old 04-23-2024, 07:30 AM
Angry Ohhhhhhh noooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I hope so! Because it would mean they are successful enough for people to want it that much. After so many, many years of waiting and hoping for a Costco near TV…
Anybody wanna buy a house in Glenbrook? 466 and Wedgewood traffic is gonna be unbearable.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Traffic will be heavy when Costco first opens up. As soon as the novelty of exploring and shopping in this new store wears off, traffic will resume to normal levels. Just like when BJ's opened, it was a pain to go there. But now if you time it just right, it's a breeze. I shop there around 5pm and there's no traffic and not lots of people. It'll be the same when Costco opens for business.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Well, a lot of it is population density and average household disposable income. When I lived in South Orange County (CA), I had 3 Costcos within 15 minutes: two in Laguna Niguel and the one in San Juan Capistrano. I had 4 Trader Joe's within 10 minutes (Laguna Niguel, Laguna Beach, San Clemente, and Aliso Viejo). All the Costcos had food courts, tire stations, gas stations, pharmacies, and optometrists. The SJC one had a carwash!

However, South OC is quite dense and has an exceptionally high average household disposable income. It is not dense like NYC, but dense like L.A., with a higher household income. That is why shops like Tiffany, Cartier, Louis Vuitton, etc. are all either South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island malls. Many 2nd tier stores at nearby Shoppes at Mission Viejo also.

Not sure The Villages can boast that type of demographic that would encourage Costco to build yet a third Villages-adjacent store. Or TJ's even a single store : (
Best location explanation yet. Disposable income. Residents north of 466A have substantially less bond and mortgage debt thus higher disposable income.

Last edited by rustyp; 04-24-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,145 Times in 5,378 Posts

The Sun this AM is calling the Costco move preliminary. Interesting
Old 04-23-2024, 08:03 AM

Hope it will be a store the size of the Clermont store. That Costco is about twice the size of our Sams Club on 441. My gut tells me it will be a mini-Costco.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
This legitimate, they are coming!
Don, do you know how many Acres that lot is where they are going to plant this Costco?
It looks like the average Costco is on about 20 acres to build a 150K sq ft store.

Tags
costco, management, plans, water, hobby

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.