Costco. What's the fascination?

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,664 Times in 1,779 Posts

I am single but I shop at Costco for everything I can. Costco has the best return policies, warranties and prices. It sells only quality items. I have bought electronics including TV's and computers, luggage, wooden wall cabinets, picture frames, steel garage shelving, various tools, plastic trash bags, TP, napkins, kleenex, books, coffee makers, coffee, distilled liquor as well as beer and wine, bottled water, steaks, crab legs, frozen crab cakes, hamburgers and wild salmon patties, salmon, guacamole, hummus, dried fruits, fresh fruit and vegetables, almond milk, oatmeal, and spices. I buy my prescription eyeglasses there and obtain prescriptions and vitamins and other supplements there. I buy socks, jackets, shirts and pants there. I could go on and on.

Once I was in a Costco which had imported some wonderful European tapestries. The were large (63" x 87"), woven on 19th century style looms in France/Italy and close to a thousand dollars each. I was looking and looking at them until a couple who had lived in Europe for a number of years approached me. The man said "If you want any of these you should jump at the chance. They are the real thing and would cost two to three times this much in Europe. I know because we have a tapestry collection we acquired in Europe." I bought two along with the hardware and tassels to hang them and enjoy them every day. BTW they had all been sold the next time I went to that Costco.

A few years ago I was in Egypt. A man who was a pretty high up fellow was taking us around. He wore a suit every day but one. On that day he was wearing a pair of jeans having the Kirkland (Costco) label on them. I asked him where he got them in Cairo, that I did not know there was a Costco there. He smiled and told me his brother who lives in the USA had sent them to him.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-01-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
In the other post about what stores/services TV is missing I see many repeated requests for a Costco store. I didn't want to hijack that thread by asking there, but what exactly is the fascination with Costco? I can understand how a Costco / Sam's might be popular with families who can save by buying mass quantities of food staples, but I can't imagine that being practical or appealing for retirees. We have a Costco here in B'ham & yes, it may be a nicer store than Sam's but we still can't see that their prices justify the annual membership cost. What are we missing? I've always suspected that these membership "wholesale" clubs were just a marketing ploy to make consumers think they were getting an extra good deal. Am I wrong?
A few years back I was amazed to read that the bulk of the profits Costco made were from the membership fees. So they must sell at low cost.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

In addition to all the other posts, we buy grandkids clothes. They carry Nike and other brands at greatly reduced prices. We also get our tires, prescriptions, and glasses at Costco.

When our son was updating his house, he was able to save a tremendous amount with name brand faucets and lighting. We purchased one of the wooden swing sets a few years ago at Costco for the grandkids and saved about $500.00.

Finally, when we do any entertaining it's great to buy some of the unique items in bulk you'd never eat on a regular basis. From appetizers, desserts, and cheese, to huge trays of shrimp. The variety can't be beat.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

I had really good thin-crust pizza from Costco at our son & dil's house. They prefer Costco over Sam's for the overall quality. We've never lived in an area with a Costco, so I would like to have one in TV.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:47 PM

Like almost everything discussed on TOTV, there will be some who think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, while others will say they can't stand it and will never set foot there again.
Why should it be any, different with Costco?
If you like it, keep on going there. If you don't, we'll just shop somewhere else.
As for me, I'm a fan. I even own stock.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:09 PM

Costco may have good deals, but not good enough for me to either invest in an AmEx card or pay cash for everything. Should they loosen up a little and start taking other cards, then it would be worth considering. Until then, there's Sam's.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoman View Post
Costco may have good deals, but not good enough for me to either invest in an AmEx card or pay cash for everything. Should they loosen up a little and start taking other cards, then it would be worth considering. Until then, there's Sam's.
FYI, Costco accepts Debit cards...
Old 01-01-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in TV View Post
FYI, Costco accepts Debit cards...
same as Cash to me.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Like almost everything discussed on TOTV, there will be some who think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, while others will say they can't stand it and will never set foot there again.
Why should it be any, different with Costco?
If you like it, keep on going there. If you don't, we'll just shop somewhere else.
As for me, I'm a fan. I even own stock.
Quality....I have been a member since it was Price Club and have Never returned any food item...not so with Sam's Club.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 01-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Gold member

We feel Costco has great quality steaks and great quality frozen raw shrimp.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Location: Too many to mention, then Loveland, OH; Poinciana then Fernandina!

I'll make the drive to Costco every 3 weeks or so, and although we belong to both I tend to avoid Sam's.
Kirkland brand goods are generally very highly rated by Consumer Reports in every category. Sam's, not so much.
"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big " Erica Jong
Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Sage

We had a Costco card for many years in NY. Loved the Kirkland coffee, better than Dunkin. They had a separate cold room for fresh produce, excellent quality and in manageable quantities. They had the best fresh bake-at-home pizza.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 01-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

I have in the past shopped and purchased from Costco and would do so again if one were in the area ..... if for no other reason than their corporate policies that I completely and totally agree with.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Sage

I, too, have belonged to Costco since it was Price Club. Actually, I have memberships to all three warehouses, Costco, Sam's and BJ's. Costco is my favorite, always has been. In CA, Costco was less than a mile from my house. We did most of our shopping there each week, supplementing what they didn't have, from the local grocery chain.

Costco has a great return policy and have had to use it once, for a mattress. Had a 5 year warranty and after 4 years and about 300 days, it had a sag in the middle. Couldn't notice the sag on visual, but it was apparent when you tried to sleep on it. They said, "return it and pick out another." No one even tried it to see if I was fibbing about the sag.

Their meats are amazing, Kirkland products are great. We still make a trip to Altamonte Springs every couple of months. Sam's is used more often, they are closer. BJ's we visit less often, but they have items available there that the other two stores do not. We've also used Costco online shopping....easy, fast and again, great values.

Costco is always a surprise....you never know what they might have, but do know if there is something you just cannot live without, it will be a good value and of great quality.

We have been just the two of us for years, and still use the warehouse stores for shopping.....just wish that Costco was a bit closer....we were spoiled having it so close to home for so many years!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,541 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We have had memberships to both.

Does anyone remember a previous conversation about the two some time before on this forum, and something was said that someone on here spoke to someone in corporate customer service at Costco and they felt at this time we could not support two similar venues here in TV. Or am I off my meds?

Somebody want to contact them again?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.