Covenant Question

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Covenant Question

We received a copy of the Covenant's yesterday. It states you can't have lawn ornaments. It goes further addressing hoidays and time limits and we still have a qustion. Are the small solar lights that go into the ground prohibited in the rear of the property? Is this classified as an ornament or lighting? We ae purchasing a Villa and the covenant's don't appear to distiguish between a house with no fence and a Villa with a fence.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,462 Times in 2,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
We received a copy of the Covenant's yesterday. It states you can't have lawn ornaments. It goes further addressing hoidays and time limits and we still have a qustion. Are the small solar lights that go into the ground prohibited in the rear of the property? Is this classified as an ornament or lighting? We ae purchasing a Villa and the covenant's don't appear to distiguish between a house with no fence and a Villa with a fence.

Thanks!
Here is where you call to get the right answer:
Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912
Old 01-30-2014, 09:33 AM
Gold member

I see the solar lights on a lot of houses front and rear. I don't think they are probably OK but as Bogie Shooter wrote check with Community Standards.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:22 AM

Just look at most houses around, even though it's not allowed most have some type of lawn ornament (birds, whirry gigs, frogs, planters, iron hooks for bird cages, etc.) in their front or back yard. I think it all comes down to what your neighbors will tolerate, if no one makes a fuss, folks do what they want within reason. If you go by the rules I'm guessing solar lights are not allowed in the rear, but like Bogie said, check with Community Standards if you want to go by the rules.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flyer View Post
Just look at most houses around, even though it's not allowed most have some type of lawn ornament (birds, whirry gigs, frogs, planters, iron hooks for bird cages, etc.) in their front or back yard. I think it all comes down to what your neighbors will tolerate, if no one makes a fuss, folks do what they want within reason. If you go by the rules I'm guessing solar lights are not allowed in the rear, but like Bogie said, check with Community Standards if you want to go by the rules.
The lawn ornament restrictions were put in place after a lot of the Lake and Sumter County portions were built out. You will see lawn ornaments in those neighborhoods. I believe the restrictions started before District 3 was built out.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
The lawn ornament restrictions were put in place after a lot of the Lake and Sumter County portions were built out. You will see lawn ornaments in those neighborhoods. I believe the restrictions started before District 3 was built out.
The lawn ornament restrictions were in place before construction was started in Sumter County. And are still in place in Marion County.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

Holiday decorations are an interesting subject. The rules state that holiday decor may be up a total of 30 days. so, if you decorate for christmas on november 10, you have to have them removed by december 10. this year one of my neighbors put his up on the 15th november; when called on it on november 16th by the deed compliance group he refused to remove them, and nothing was done about it. no fines, no nasty letters, no nothing. obviously they were not removed at the 30 day point (december 15) and remained up past January 1. why do we have non-enforced restrictions?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Gold member

What about flag poles and American Flags?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
Holiday decorations are an interesting subject. The rules state that holiday decor may be up a total of 30 days. so, if you decorate for christmas on november 10, you have to have them removed by december 10. this year one of my neighbors put his up on the 15th november; when called on it on november 16th by the deed compliance group he refused to remove them, and nothing was done about it. no fines, no nasty letters, no nothing. obviously they were not removed at the 30 day point (december 15) and remained up past January 1. why do we have non-enforced restrictions?
How did you know there were no fines, no nasty letters, no nothing?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
What about flag poles and American Flags?
Allowed.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Since these enforcements are complaint driven I'm guessing one of the bah humbug neighbors turned them in. Wow - that's Village friendly!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
this year one of my neighbors put his up on the 15th november; when called on it on november 16th by the deed compliance group he refused to remove them, and nothing was done about it. no fines, no nasty letters, no nothing. obviously they were not removed at the 30 day point (december 15) and remained up past January 1. why do we have non-enforced restrictions?
We have non-enforced restrictions because common sense also prevails. If a resident wants to have Christmas decorations up from November 15 until Jan 1, in my humble opinion, only a Grinch would care.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,560 Times in 1,931 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I think that they are allowed to be up 30 days AFTER Christmas.

I cannot imagine ANYONE being so unkind as to call someone on Christmas decorations. I have never lived anywhere like that. I think being up from November 16th to January 16th doesn't seem all that out of line. That happened all of the time in all of the places I have lived in my 74 years. November 16th may be a little early, but ....

Travelguy? Did it annoy you?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The lawn ornament restrictions were in place before construction was started in Sumter County. And are still in place in Marion County.
Bogie,

I have sent you a PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:10 PM

In MHO the Christmas season starts when Santa rides down 34th St in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving.

But I digress...travelguy, it's not a problem unless you make it a problem. Or if someone makes it a problem for you.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.