Covid 19 Mentality

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2021, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen13 View Post
It's my understanding the vaccine is most effective against Covid-19, but will not protect you from getting the Delta Variant. It can only lesson the symptoms of the DV.
I agree with you, except the vaccinations are effective at preventing Delta, just not as effective as they were against the original variant they were designed to fight.

Studies around the world show a lot of variation in effectiveness against Delta ranging from 60% to 90%. But, even 60% is better than nothing.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supalupa View Post
The protected need to be protected from the unprotected by forcing the unprotected to use the protection that didn't protect the protected.
I'll bet the OP thought that was quite clever
Old 09-19-2021, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I'll bet the OP thought that was quite clever
It does have a nice if not ironic ring to it. I have heard it put in similar words. The lack of sense in the statement makes sense.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen13 View Post
It's my understanding the vaccine is most effective against Covid-19, but will not protect you from getting the Delta Variant. It can only lesson the symptoms of the DV.
I know of two people locally that died from this crap within the past two weeks. I'm taking my chances with the vaccine and a KN95 mask. I don't care what "facts" people know. I do my own research and so far, so good.
Yep.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	1covid.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	90859  
Old 09-19-2021, 01:13 PM

I’m not getting a shot meant for depopulation.
COVID isn’t that frightening.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon View Post
I’m not getting a shot meant for depopulation.
COVID isn’t that frightening.
Do you know something that the rest of us haven't heard regarding the vaccination?
Don't you know that if you get the vaccination, you won't die of Covid. Of course, if you don't catch it, you wont' die of it either....
Old 09-19-2021, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I was simply interested in clarification. Since MANY here have had all the "normal" childhood vaccinations, and got their children vaccinated when told to ignorer to get them into school, and yet, are adamantly opposed to COVID. I don't really care why, they certainly have a right to oppose COVID mandates, just wanted clarification on you position.

Thank you.
My pleasure...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-19-2021, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Why in the world would this matter to anyone? First post or ten thousandth post? Does amount of posts give one seniority on this forum in regards to importance of posting?
Obviously it does matter to some when people post hit & run troll posts just to obviously create hundreds of posts that have been repeated over and over 100's of times in virtually identical topics. Nothing whatsoever to do with seniority because "senior" members do so as well. Just the common way things happen on internet forums. Sometimes it's just to generate forum traffic just for advertising purposes and sometimes just to create (another) stir on a topic one knows is highly divisive. Why does that suggestion bother you? Having run BBS's and moderated and run forums since the days of dial-up modems (including one of the first the US in from 1981 to ~199? using Forum-80 and later TBBS software) that is my opinion. Sorry you disagree. Wish I had access to the IP logs as I am sure many surprises would be found.

Bottom line, it is just pretty obvious.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Obviously it does matter to some when people post hit & run troll posts just to obviously create hundreds of posts that have been repeated over and over 100's of times in virtually identical topics. Nothing whatsoever to do with seniority because "senior" members do so as well. Just the common way things happen on internet forums. Sometimes it's just to generate forum traffic just for advertising purposes and sometimes just to create (another) stir on a topic one knows is highly divisive. Why does that suggestion bother you? Having run BBS's and moderated and run forums since the days of dial-up modems (including one of the first the US in from 1981 to ~199? using Forum-80 and later TBBS software) that is my opinion. Sorry you disagree. Wish I had access to the IP logs as I am sure many surprises would be found.

Bottom line, it is just pretty obvious.
Hell, regulars do the same damn thing...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-20-2021, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Hell, regulars do the same damn thing...
Absolutely, but that doesn't have any bearing on this topic and poster which is what the discussion is. Most notably s/he made a troll post, created LOTS of messages (and forum traffic) and has yet to make a reply despite logging on 1hr after s/he created this thread yesterday and then again today at 4:30AM and has yet to post a follow-up to this obvious troll post (which I'd bet will suddenly happen now).

Not saying people are being paid here but it would be naive to think these types of posts are truly some person who suddenly decides drop a bomb after 2-6 years of never posting. There are services that pay people to just do this on ad supported forums to generate traffic just as there are now hundreds of services to provide "likes" and "followers" on various social media and bribes to post fake reviews both good and bad on many web review sites. If you watch/look at this forum it has had dozens of other threads from other first time posters from people who have joined the forum coincidentally all in 2016 and 2017 and suddenly drop in with a first time hit and run bomb post never to be seen again or until the next run.

Believe what you wish but if it looks like a fish and smells like a fish it's generally fishy. As I said, I wish I had access to the IP logs and user logs.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Absolutely, but that doesn't have any bearing on this topic and poster which is what the discussion is. Most notably s/he made a troll post, created LOTS of messages (and forum traffic) and has yet to make a reply despite logging on 1hr after s/he created this thread yesterday and then again today at 4:30AM and has yet to post a follow-up to this obvious troll post (which I'd bet will suddenly happen now).

Not saying people are being paid here but it would be naive to think these types of posts are truly some person who suddenly decides drop a bomb after 2-6 years of never posting. There are services that pay people to just do this on ad supported forums to generate traffic just as there are now hundreds of services to provide "likes" and "followers" on various social media and bribes to post fake reviews both good and bad on many web review sites. If you watch/look at this forum it has had dozens of other threads from other first time posters from people who have joined the forum coincidentally all in 2016 and 2017 and suddenly drop in with a first time hit and run bomb post never to be seen again or until the next run.

Believe what you wish but if it looks like a fish and smells like a fish it's generally fishy. As I said, I wish I had access to the IP logs and user logs.
Still wondering why this bothers you. When I read posts like this, I wonder if the same folks that worry about others posting, also keep an eye out the window to watch their neighbors. I guess we all need a hobby....
Old 09-20-2021, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Still wondering why this bothers you. When I read posts like this, I wonder if the same folks that worry about others posting, also keep an eye out the window to watch their neighbors. I guess we all need a hobby....
It is and should be worrisome because unlike your neighbor doing something visible from their window misinformation online is widespread easily, and, most people are not as smart as you. I mean this seriously, since reading your posts informs me that you are significantly above average intelligence. MOST people are below average intelligence and are easily sucked in by intentional misinformation. The actions of those misinformed masses can then impact the rest of us. (I count myself in the above-average group, but I am sure many will disagree with that.)

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 09-20-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:46 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I was amazed to see in the Orlando newspaper that Orange County (Orlando) approximately 80% of Firefighters were not vaccinated. That number “blew me away” and I had to ask myself why? In most cases it’s your choice and Firefighters are a homogenous group and I suspect that is the why. Still, the number (if accurate) is a surprise. I read recently that it is estimated that 25% don’t wear seatbelts on a regular basis. We humans are a strange bunch…. It shouldn’t be a surprise that some just won’t get a vaccine shot.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
It is and should be worrisome because unlike your neighbor doing something visible from their window misinformation online is widespread easily, and, most people are not as smart as you. I mean this seriously, since reading your posts informs me that you are significantly above average intelligence. MOST people are below average intelligence and are easily sucked in my intentional misinformation. The actions of those misinformed masses can then impact the rest of us. (I count myself in the above-average group, but I am sure many will disagree with that.)
Actually, I would have to counter that exactly 50% of the people are below AVERAGE intelligence. The scary part is that when you imagine what "average" intelligence represents, then realize half the people are less intelligent than that, well...........
Old 09-20-2021, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
It is and should be worrisome because unlike your neighbor doing something visible from their window misinformation online is widespread easily, and, most people are not as smart as you. I mean this seriously, since reading your posts informs me that you are significantly above average intelligence. MOST people are below average intelligence and are easily sucked in my intentional misinformation. The actions of those misinformed masses can then impact the rest of us. (I count myself in the above-average group, but I am sure many will disagree with that.)
That's a very kind reply. Thank you.
However, regardless of "intelligence" I have always been under the assumption that most of what is discussed on this outstanding social media platform is personal opinion, sprinkled with just a minute bit of facts to back up some of the posters. "Misinformation" or not, I find your comments interesting. Some of the obvious "experts" on here are a bit boorish, but they usually provide good sources even if the material is only a tool to support their own opinions.
I have to admit that I am a sucker for some folks' irony, wit and humor. One of the great things about following most of these posts is the ability to see both sides of opinions on subjects, and that almost everybody has something in which we can agree upon.
But, getting back to the original question, I still don't see why anyone would be concerned about someone's first post or how long they have been a member. If I don't wish to engage, I just don't. If I do not like the subject, I skip it. Is it because some folks can't resist the temptation?

Tags
protected, unprotected, covid, forcing, protection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.