Covid-19 and the town squares

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2020, 07:18 AM
Thumbs down Covid-19 and the town squares

It was my understanding that the town squares would open with entertainment and require masks be worn by EVERYONE. How can the Village Entertainment be so careless with peoples lives. The last time I checked, Florida's positive test rate and death rate is still increasing. This virus is NOT going away, in fact, it will get worse as the winter months approach until a certified vaccine is developed.

Stop giving in to a few who still believe this virus is a hoax.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:43 AM
Sage

Nobody believes the coronavirus is a hoax so I don’t understand why you would say such a thing. If you are uncomfortable with the town squares then don’t go there. To state that The Villages Entertainment is being careless with anyone’s life is absurd - nobody is forcing you to go anywhere. I do not recall reading anywhere that masks were going to be required in the squares - not sure where you got that from. They are requesting masks for the entertainment in the squares. The last time I checked on the Florida coronavirus dashboard, the death rate was in a decline (over the last month).

Quote:
Originally Posted by len84pa View Post
It was my understanding that the town squares would open with entertainment and require masks be worn by EVERYONE. How can the Village Entertainment be so careless with peoples lives. The last time I checked, Florida's positive test rate and death rate is still increasing. This virus is NOT going away, in fact, it will get worse as the winter months approach until a certified vaccine is developed.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

Guidelines on masks were requested by entertainment group but not mandatory
Old 10-11-2020, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,049 Times in 5,337 Posts

Wish people would be wearing masks at the entertainment venues but nobody is enforcing it.

We plan to wait some time and see if people start catching the virus before we decide to go.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:41 AM

We went to Spanish Springs last night. About 50% of people wore masks, and when they got situated, removed them. Villages employees all wore masks the entire time. There was plenty of space, and everyone spread out.

I don't think anyone thinks the virus is a hoax. People simply have different risk tolerance. Our only risk factor is age, and we chose to go. Anyone who is worried should stay home.

IMO, the US will be paying a mental health toll from the lockdown. The level of isolation we had to endure comes with a price for many people.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
People simply have different risk tolerance. Our only risk factor is age, and we chose to go.

Your mileage may vary.
I agree with the post but I would add “the risk of an individual’s unknown comorbidities”. Higher risks include blood types, any medications masking vascular conditions, etc. so risk tolerances are also effected by information level of known risks.

Not everyone is created equal, but should be treated as an equal
Old 10-11-2020, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

The problem is this. Most people are in agreement with wearing masks. It is the enforcement of that, that is at issue.

Who would the Entertainment Department call to throw out non mask wearing folks? It is not a law.

Especially those with a snoot full? It is the same everywhere. And it is far deeper than mask wearing. Most people of our age follow rules, except those who don't.

Me and mine are avoiding gatherings until our PCP says to get a vaccine.

It is a matter of personal responsibility. Please stay safe you and everyone.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The problem is this. Most people are in agreement with wearing masks. It is the enforcement of that, that is at issue.

Who would the Entertainment Department call to throw out non mask wearing folks? It is not a law.

Especially those with a snoot full? It is the same everywhere. And it is far deeper than mask wearing. Most people of our age follow rules, except those who don't.

Me and mine are avoiding gatherings until our PCP says to get a vaccine.

It is a matter of personal responsibility. Please stay safe you and everyone.
Like you, GG, everybody has to make there own decisions about how to handle this situation. But regardless of how you feel about wearing masks, so far they are only requested, not required.

You can't enforce a request, so enforcement is not an option at this time.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:04 PM

It seems unfair to those Villages residents who have the intelligence to wear masks, and the thoughtfulness not to be potential Covid spreaders, that they have to avoid the squares because management won't make masks mandatory. We have gone to the Square and sat in our golf cart, away from the action. I'd much rather be out on the dance floor, socially distanced, with a mask, but that is not an option as it now stands. Of course we all know how karma works, as we have seen recently, from the higher ups that scorn masks.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

We have been to the Squares several times this week and while mask wearing is limited once people get situated we found that social distance of much greater than 6' is followed by most on and off the dance floor and is easy to do. I guess there is only so much virtual living (TV) many people can tolerate. Each of us have to make their choice on what is acceptable risk for the little time we have left and if that acceptable risk out weighs watching others live on TV or reading about others life.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:05 PM
Sage

If you think a mask will prevent you from developing COVID-19 then you should consider that approximately 1 million health care workers have contracted the disease and they have access to better PPE than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
It seems unfair to those Villages residents who have the intelligence to wear masks, and the thoughtfulness not to be potential Covid spreaders, that they have to avoid the squares because management won't make masks mandatory. We have gone to the Square and sat in our golf cart, away from the action. I'd much rather be out on the dance floor, socially distanced, with a mask, but that is not an option as it now stands. Of course we all know how karma works, as we have seen recently, from the higher ups that scorn masks.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:09 PM

Yes, I'm one of those who believes in science and proud to admit it.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:11 PM
Sage

If you think the science says that a mask will prevent you from developing COVID-19 then you are mistaken. Nobody has made that claim.

Quote:
Yes, I'm one of those who believes in science.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:13 PM

No one ever said it prevents you from getting the virus. Scientists liken it to the swiss cheese model - layer one is social distance, layer two is wearing masks, layer three is washing hands, and layer four is Covid testing. All layers are important because each layer is not perfect.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, I'm one of those who believes in science and proud to admit it.
You can totally believe in science and not be as 100% certain about masks...or anything related to the virus for that matter...as your attitude conveys. In fact, if you're as big on science as you say, then you should know very little in science is proven to 100% certainty...and that definitely applies to the C-virus.
Closed Thread

Tags
squares, entertainment, town, virus, rate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.