The crazies were out tonight.

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2023, 10:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts
Default The crazies were out tonight.

I know you have all heard every story before but driving around in the cart was interesting. First an impatient driver in front of me fulls out to pass a line of carts when a cart up in front starts to wave people around him, needless to say other carts pull out to pass and the driver in front of me came close to causing an accident. Later I am at a road crossing when I check to see if any cars are coming off a rotary of Buena Vista but instead I see a golf cart coming from the rotary and pull in front of me. Guessing the 2 gents had been drinking or something else as the driving was erratic. Next as following them, someone decides they are going to pass the line of carts but can’t get past all of them so they decide to go left of the upcoming island and pass everyone as we are on the correct side of the island. This is one I have never seen. How this didn’t end in an accident I am not sure. Finally as I got closer to home a cart catches up to me and as I turn from the path to go into a village, this cart heads out onto Buena Vista. Probably just a normal day in the life of a Villager but I found it interesting as we were enjoying our ride. I for one don’t think there should be any passing in a golf cart since they are all suppose to go the same speed but that is not for me to decide.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
I know you have all heard every story before but driving around in the cart was interesting. First an impatient driver in front of me fulls out to pass a line of carts when a cart up in front starts to wave people around him, needless to say other carts pull out to pass and the driver in front of me came close to causing an accident. Later I am at a road crossing when I check to see if any cars are coming off a rotary of Buena Vista but instead I see a golf cart coming from the rotary and pull in front of me. Guessing the 2 gents had been drinking or something else as the driving was erratic. Next as following them, someone decides they are going to pass the line of carts but can’t get past all of them so they decide to go left of the upcoming island and pass everyone as we are on the correct side of the island. This is one I have never seen. How this didn’t end in an accident I am not sure. Finally as I got closer to home a cart catches up to me and as I turn from the path to go into a village, this cart heads out onto Buena Vista. Probably just a normal day in the life of a Villager but I found it interesting as we were enjoying our ride. I for one don’t think there should be any passing in a golf cart since they are all suppose to go the same speed but that is not for me to decide.
This kind of golf cart driving is going to give some of those involved heart attacks.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

This should all go away in June.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Tailgating a cart is also not a good idea!
Old 02-28-2023, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
There was a story yesterday in V-N about a Villager driving a car in a roundabout, who took umbrage at the act of another driver who apparently honked at him for going too fast. Villager stopped his vehicle (maybe in the roundabout but I'm not sure) and proceeded to physically aggress against the car of the driver who did the honking, also slamming the door on him twice as the honker tried to get out of his car. Finally the Villager got into his car and drove away (point made, I guess) only Driver #2 immediately called 911. The cops were able to locate the guy who tried to lie his way out of it but when faced with the fact that the entire incident was caught on camera, finally admitted to the deed. He is charged with a 3rd. degree felony for physical aggression against a person over age 65.

It is not just snowbirds who are "crazy" around here.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:51 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

Sounds like Mr Toad’s Wild Ride!
Old 02-28-2023, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I see it everyday riding my bike on the golf cart paths, at least one head on accident almost happens from stupid people, beware and grow eyes in back of your head
Old 02-28-2023, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

I think people who honk don’t realize that if they honk too close to a person, they startle them - and they may actually run into them. Maybe a soft touch on the horn just to let someone know you’re there.

I see the following possible problems with the carts; new drivers, the neighbor across from me rents to a couple who have no car and use the cart everywhere but they never drove one before. And another (not close) neighbor who used his cart for many years had brain surgery, some of his brain was actually cut out relatively recently, could not walk at first, could not talk, is now trying out his cart again.
Update: another neighbor walked by, got into his cart and I guess took the recovering neighbor wherever he wanted to go…whew!

Last edited by Velvet; 02-28-2023 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think people who honk don’t realize that if they honk too close to a person, they startle them - and they may actually run into them. Maybe a soft touch on the horn just to let someone know you’re there.

I see the following possible problems with the carts; new drivers, the neighbor across from me rents to a couple who have no car and use the cart everywhere but they never drove one before. And another (not close) neighbor who used his cart for many years had brain surgery, some of his brain was actually cut out relatively recently, could not walk at first, could not talk, is now trying out his cart again.
Update: another neighbor walked by, got into his cart and I guess took the recovering neighbor wherever he wanted to go…whew!
Good for him! I've seen folks with half a brain driving for decades.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
We can only hope.
Is there someway to move it to April to file their taxes
and get home for Easter.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

crazy has become the new normal, and you have to wonder who's packin' too!
Old 02-28-2023, 01:11 PM
Platinum member

Much adoo about nothing
Old 02-28-2023, 02:49 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
You probably know these types of things (and many others, such as deliberate destroying of golf course turf) are usually ALL blamed on "snowbirds". I do believe that is a high percentage, but certainly not for all. The Villages is a powerful "resort" magnet for vacationers, not just a residential community. The number of Air B&B, and similar type of commercial rental for income, grows everyday. It's a fact. People who come to spend a week, two weeks, a month, for a few thousand dollars, of course are going to look at it like any other all inclusive "resort". Their rental includes a golf cart, they may have never driven a golf cart in their life, many have never played golf, or tennis, or even shuffleboard. They are on vacation and are going to take advantage of "what they are paying for" to the fullest... even things they have never tried before. This does not account for ALL the erratic driving (carts and autos), much is a result of loosened inhibitions (excessive alcohol... many people who are very moderate drinkers, will increase that at a resort, on a cruise, etc. Same here. But I personally do not see ALL of this as a result of the "snowbirds". We definitely have a mix of people; personalities and sense of responsibility differ WIDELY. I don't know how that can be changed. I do not think it possible or practical, given what police are facing presently with shortages, but IF it were possible to "catch" and fine, speeding, reckless, intoxicated, and just plain irresponsible drivers of golf carts, and auto too, I think we would see a decline in this type of "wild" behavior. Sometimes just the "word of mouth" concerning an increase in tickets, fines, a "crack down" as it is called, is enough to result in a significant decrease. On this subject, what about the high number of tandem vehicles, big trucks with one, even TWO trailers attached, consistently driving in the GOLF CART LANES as well as their own lane of the street.. and rarely at or below the speed limit. It's constant on Belvidere, it's a daily thing. Have never seen a single one pulled over and ticketed... maybe it does happen, I just have never been there at the right time to see it. Also the incident on Buena Vista, not far from Laurel Manner. Truck at a very high rate of speed, went out of control, crashed through a CONCRETE WALL, and into the yard of a resident. Personally I think it is well known that reckless driving and speeding is tolerated here. Maybe we would be better off if were were a well known "speed trap".... word about such towns, communities, always gets around, especially with truckers.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
JUNE!
I thought it was in April; please don't change it to June!
Old 02-28-2023, 05:01 PM

I think the STOP signs in the villages are defective, they don't work at all.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, pass, front, carts, interesting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.