Crazy Driving Getting Worse

Old 01-27-2024, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,731 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
For me the common denominator is, there are simply no long police patrolling traffic. I drive down Morse every day and every fing day see drivers doing well over 50+, weaving in and out of traffic. Every day!!! Never have I seen a cop pulling anyone over.
I doubt you will, at least with anything resembling consistency. Apparently a traffic offense has to be pretty egregious before you get pulled over (one exception to that, below). My take on that, considering the power structure, is that rigorous enforcement of traffic laws goes directly against the "active senior lifestyle" slogan that is apparently instrumental in selling both the houses and the lifestyle of The Villages.

Exception: if the cops have you pegged as a potential troublemaker or petty lawbreaker. You don't see it here or in the Sun, but the Other Paper That Shall Not Be Named routinely runs stories about traffic arrests. A whole lot of those seem to take place in the "wee hours", involving things like obscured license plates, failure to dim lights for oncoming traffic, improper stop at a stop sign (apparently if you wheels are on or over the thick white line at stop signs you're violating the law) burned-out taillight, failure to signal, etc. etc. Such stops are inevitably followed up with the K-9 unit being called, the dog "alerts" to the possibility of drugs, the vehicle is searched, and contraband, paraphernalia or both are found, with the driver being toted off to the hoosegow.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the way things are done here regarding traffic enforcement is the right way to handle things. Cops keeping the pressure on the petty thugs helps keep crime under pretty good control, and there will always be folks who complain about the driving of other folks. I'd like to see a bit heavier enforcement, particularly regarding the scofflaws who think that doing 55 mph in a 35 mph zone is perfectly fine, but I don't think we'll ever see anything like the saturation enforcement that apparently some folks want. Nor should we.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:45 AM

It is not only the Roundabouts and through streets. I was in the parking lot at HomeGoods yesterday. Ever since they opened the additional access people do not stop at the cross street. There are STOP words painted on the pavement but nobody stops. Same thing near FreshMarket. People not stopping at STOP signs.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapbas View Post
This is a great point, ours is so thick it hides a golf cart traveling for a good 75 yards.
That’s why you have side door mirrors. Most don’t know how to set their mirrors to not have a blind spot. Go online and watch the video on how to set side door mirrors without a blind spot.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
“Thats all it is... if some wants to go fast, let em, no signals, you just keep and eye out. riding right on your tail..slide over.”
Life would be so much easier if the slow people on the roads and on the golf cart paths would just pull over or drive in the right lane then you wouldn’t have all of this weaving in and out.
Also, when you come to a roundabout, if nobody is coming on your left side, there is no need to slow down to go thru the roundabout. Most roundabouts you can see for a block if somebody is in the roundabout on your left. I see a lot of people almost come to a stop when entering the roundabout with no cars in sight, this is not the way to drive. You yield if somebody is in the roundabout or you drive thru it at the speed limit if no cars in sight.
I almost got hit by 2 different T&D Pool workers at 2 different roundabouts. I called the company to tell them and what the drivers looked like.
You have to slow down - the speed limit in the roundabout is 20mph. I do agree though that too many people stop when there’s no car coming from the left.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Cops can't ticket you for doing over the speed limit unless you are doing more than 5mph over the posted limit.
Where do I find that in the Florida Statutes (which section)?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-27-2024, 08:53 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
And, if they did, where would they pull over to? There are no shoulders, curb lanes, virtually anywhere. Like to see a corvette climb the curb onto the lawn like worker trucks.
Just too many speeders and reckless drivers and no place to safely catch them. Have to follow them until they find a parking lot or go thru a gate into the villages.
A motorcycle cop stopped a driver over on Oak Forest the other day and the car pulled to the side but BLOCKED THE INTERSECTION of another street. Then the SCS cycle pulled right behind him fully blocking the street. So I have seen a lot more police activity here on the North end than I have in the 4 years I have been here, But I was surprised at this incident.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:54 AM

It is too crowded here! Roads can't accommodate the population.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:00 AM

Wondering if it is time for a few traffic cameras ….Morse and 466, 466A, 44….roundabouts near Walmart neighborhood market and Morse….would be cheaper than cops. A few photo tickets sent out would help slow things down. Even a sign saying PHOTO ENFORCEMENT would slow people down.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:08 AM

Portable speed bumps would work.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:20 AM
Default False misnomer, cars have the right of way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
I found the article on Villages News. It stated that they use to have 500 traffic stops per month, they now have about 1000. Most of the tickets are being issued to Villagers.
I was going through the gate in Sanibel at the attendant side. I was a car length away and a golf cart crossed in front of me. He did not stop, he hit the gas instead of the break. He failed to merge. He was given a summons.
He was ejected from the cart and taken to the hospital. My car has $8100 worth of front end damage. It’s been a week and I am traumatized over this.

Lucky for me, it’s all in the police report. I was told by my insurance company and a sheriff when I picked up the report, that cars do not automatically have the right of way. It is determined on a one to one basis. The driver of the golf cart could sue me for damages. If he doesn’t have insurance, regardless of liability, my company would have to pay and go after him personally to recoup their losses.
The driver was from Illinois and said he never drove this golf cart. Not sure he ever drove any golf cart.
My insurance company is trying to get the video footage from the gate. The police report says I did not contribute to the accident. They want more proof.

Fellow Villagers, a car does not automatically have the right of way.
I am getting a dash cam and upping my uninsured driver coverage.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:25 AM
Default moving here - biggest surprise was TAILGATING

I was intimidated at first. Sped up (speeding) to make them happy.
Now, I slowly slow down.
If they don't back off from my bumper I go even slower, eventually stopping. F-um.

They scream and shake their fist, and show me the first digit of their 2-digit IQ.

No you don't have a right to drive dangerously, intimidate, speeding, weaving thru traffic, road rage.

Not too many years ago, I had a tailgater and using a cell phone (texting). He ran into my rear at a yield sign. Towed his car to a repair shop. I had damage, but at least drivable.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,223 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
I was intimidated at first. Sped up (speeding) to make them happy.
Now, I slowly slow down.
If they don't back off from my bumper I go even slower, eventually stopping. F-um.

They scream and shake their fist, and show me the first digit of their 2-digit IQ.
No you don't have a right to drive dangerously, intimidate, speeding, weaving thru traffic, road rage.
Not too many years ago, I had a tailgater and using a cell phone (texting). He ran into my rear at a yield sign. Towed his car to a repair shop. I had damage, but at least drivable.

If there are two lanes and you are in the left lane, Florida law states you must move over unless making a left turn or passing a vehicle in the right lane. No, you were not sworn in and given a badge to enforce traffic laws in your own twisted way.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingoutofdodge View Post
I was going through the gate in Sanibel at the attendant side. I was a car length away and a golf cart crossed in front of me. He did not stop, he hit the gas instead of the break. He failed to merge. He was given a summons.
He was ejected from the cart and taken to the hospital. My car has $8100 worth of front end damage. It’s been a week and I am traumatized over this.

Fellow Villagers, a car does not automatically have the right of way.
I am getting a dash cam and upping my uninsured driver coverage.
No one automatically has the right of way.

We seem to think of "having the right of way" when instead we should think of "yielding the right of way." If you have the mindset that you have the right of way you assume others will yield to you to avoid a collision. If instead you have the mindset of yielding the right of way then you watch for others to yield but anticipate that they may not. One way says, "it's my road and I will share it when I choose to but not today." The other says, "I don't want to get into a collision today."

Cars do not automatically "have" the right of way. No one automatically "has" the right of way such that they can just barrel on through regardless of what the other person does. In any situation where two vehicles need to occupy the same space, there are rules about who should yield to the other. The rules indicate which vehicle "should" yield. However, the reality is that rules are often ignored.

NONE OF THE ABOVE IS MEANT TO IMPLY THAT YOU CONTRIBUTED TO THE ACCIDENT. If you chose to play chicken with the cart, if you decided that you had the right of way and were going to go through regardless of what the cart did, THEN you would have contributed to it. We ALL have the responsibility to avoid accidents, regardless of who supposedly "has the right of way." But, that isn't how you described the incident.

I've seen others recommend dash cams just for cases like this. I'm getting closer to purchasing a set for my vehicles.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-27-2024, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,008 Times in 2,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
The one issue I have even though I love the traffic circles which keeps traffic flow moving. Is while you're rounding the circle there is always one driver who is aware your there and enters at the next entrance anyway and in many cases slows down after they merge. You get the feeling they want to get into an accident.

I like how the stop before entering roundabout when no traffic in roundabout and don’t stop at stops signs especially 4 way stops. You’re not in line till you stop preferably at or behind stops sign not front end out in intersection still creeping.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
That’s why you have side door mirrors. Most don’t know how to set their mirrors to not have a blind spot. Go online and watch the video on how to set side door mirrors without a blind spot.
You misunderstood. Side mirrors are for seeing behind and along side. The blinds pots in question are hidden by the windshield posts. To the front right and left sides.

Tags
car, time, driver, turnaround, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.