Crazy Driving Getting Worse

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,805 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Actually, it does step on SOME peoples toes. School teachers in Florida can NOT decide for themselves what to teach. So, they go to other states with more FREEDOM and Florida loses out on good teachers. And also their sales tax expenditures. And then the school pupils lose out on good teachers and end up with larger class sizes.
.........Sounds like a lose - lose situation to me.
I do know from my school experiences that there are some teaching and bragging about living on the edge.

In my case, not noteworthy instructors. Example from a female teacher in grade school: “watch out if a girl says she will uncurl your epididymis.” Every grade schooler needs that information. Some teachers are worth losing…
Old 01-27-2024, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
The one issue I have even though I love the traffic circles which keeps traffic flow moving. Is while you're rounding the circle there is always one driver who is aware your there and enters at the next entrance anyway and in many cases slows down after they merge. You get the feeling they want to get into an accident.
I am going to get quite a bit of argument over this...here goes! If you are travelling straight thru a roundabout, it does not give you the right of way. If two vehicles enter the roundabout at the same time, the driver to the right GOES FIRST. They are not cutting in front if you. You are meant to reduce your speed and allow the other driver to enter. You do not fly thru the circle without any concern for vehicles on the side exits. Yes! Roundabouts are meant to keep traffic flowing. FOR ALL VEHICLES. Not merely those who are travelling straight thru. Slow down and yield are the rules.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,524 Times in 2,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
I am going to get quite a bit of argument over this...here goes! If you are travelling straight thru a roundabout, it does not give you the right of way. If two vehicles enter the roundabout at the same time, the driver to the right GOES FIRST. They are not cutting in front if you. You are meant to reduce your speed and allow the other driver to enter. You do not fly thru the circle without any concern for vehicles on the side exits. Yes! Roundabouts are meant to keep traffic flowing. FOR ALL VEHICLES. Not merely those who are travelling straight thru. Slow down and yield are the rules.
You are going to get quite a bit of argument because you are still wrong.

If two vehicles enter from different entrances they will be physically separated and will not interfere with each other.

If two vehicles enter from the same entrance then their allowed paths through the roundabout do not intersect and they will not interfere with each other.

If drivers follow the rules, the roundabouts pose no problems. If drivers do not follow the rules then all bets are off whether the drivers are in a roundabout or simply driving down Pinellas Ave.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-27-2024, 06:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
You are going to get quite a bit of argument because you are still wrong.

If two vehicles enter from different entrances they will be physically separated and will not interfere with each other.

If two vehicles enter from the same entrance then their allowed paths through the roundabout do not intersect and they will not interfere with each other.

If drivers follow the rules, the roundabouts pose no problems. If drivers do not follow the rules then all bets are off whether the drivers are in a roundabout or simply driving down Pinellas Ave.
I read these posts and people are constantly complaining about getting cut off. If a vehicle is in front of you and needs to cross your path, you slow down and allow them. That is the rule. They are not ruining your day by being a jerk. I really wish drivers would understand this.

Two cars ABSOLUTELY can arrive at a roundabout at the same time. If you are heading straight thru and see a vehicle on the right side exit, you do not automatically make that driver wait while you sail through. Rule of traffic: when two vehicles enter an intersection at the same time, the person on the right goes first. In a roundabout, you reduce your speed and allow them to cross your path. This keeps traffic moving FOR EVERYONE
Old 01-27-2024, 06:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
I read these posts and people are constantly complaining about getting cut off. If a vehicle is in front of you and needs to cross your path, you slow down and allow them. That is the rule. They are not ruining your day by being a jerk. I really wish drivers would understand this.

Two cars ABSOLUTELY can arrive at a roundabout at the same time. If you are heading straight thru and see a vehicle on the right side exit, you do not automatically make that driver wait while you sail through. Rule of traffic: when two vehicles enter an intersection at the same time, the person on the right goes first. In a roundabout, you reduce your speed and allow them to cross your path. This keeps traffic moving FOR EVERYONE
Wrong on both counts.

Imagine you have just turned onto Hillsborough from Morse (obviously, you are traveling west) and reach Charlotte Ct. there is a car on Charlotte Ct that pulls out from Charlotte Ct into your lane forcing you to hit the brakes to avoid hitting them. This is your example of a car on the right entering the roundabout. If the timing of the car entering causes you to hit the brakes then it is in the wrong. Certainly, you don't hit it, but you *do* recognize they were in the wrong.

When two vehicles arrive at the same time at an intersection with a stop sign, the car to the right goes first. When two cars arrive at an intersection that says "yield to vehicles on the left" or "vehicles from the left do not stop", then the car to the right yields. *That* is the sign that is posted at the entrance to the roundabout. Exactly the same as the example above, the car on Charlotte Ct must not enter if he will interfere with the traffic already on Hillsborough.

Argue all you would like but you will continue to be wrong.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 01-27-2024 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Wrong on both counts.

Imagine you have just turned onto Hillsborough from Morse (obviously, you are traveling west) and reach Charlotte Ct. there is a car on Charlotte Ct that pulls out from Charlotte Ct into your lane forcing you to hit the brakes to avoid hitting them. This is your example of a car on the right entering the roundabout. If the timing of the car entering causes you to hit the brakes then it is in the wrong. Certainly, you don't hit it, but you *do* recognize they were in the wrong.

When two vehicles arrive at the same time at an intersection with a stop sign, the car to the right goes first. When two cars arrive at an intersection that says "yield to vehicles on the left" or "vehicles from the left do not stop", then the car to the right yields. *That* is the sign that is posted at the entrance to the roundabout. Exactly the same as the example above, the car on Charlotte Ct must not enter if he will interfere with the traffic already on Hillsborough.

Argue all you would like but you will continue to be wrong.
I have been driving the roundabouts for years. I can't remember even ONE TIME that someone cut me off. I try to visualize how this happens to others and I am at a loss. I'm not going to argue. I was just trying to see it from another perspective. Impossible to do when you did not witness the alleged cutting off.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,154 Times in 577 Posts
Default They don’t

Quote:
Where do I find that in the Florida Statutes (which section)?
Police won’t usually ticket at 5 over because it is easily fought in court. Speed detection devices are at time off on calibration. Then there are arguments like radar verses laser, how soon since the last stop, is the equipment signed off for the day etc.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 01-27-2024, 07:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have been driving the roundabouts for years. I can't remember even ONE TIME that someone cut me off. I try to visualize how this happens to others and I am at a loss. I'm not going to argue. I was just trying to see it from another perspective. Impossible to do when you did not witness the alleged cutting off.
Once I have had someone enter in the right hand lane next to me then choose to turn left in front of me.

Several times I have had cars fail to yield when I was already in the roundabout. Whether they were ignorant, inattentive, or just bad judges of distance, they entered when they should not have.

Certainly it happens but it is the fault of the driver, not of the design. (I am almost always against dumbing things down for the lowest common denominator)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-27-2024, 08:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Once I have had someone enter in the right hand lane next to me then choose to turn left in front of me.

Several times I have had cars fail to yield when I was already in the roundabout. Whether they were ignorant, inattentive, or just bad judges of distance, they entered when they should not have.

Certainly it happens but it is the fault of the driver, not of the design. (I am almost always against dumbing things down for the lowest common denominator)
I am 61 yrs old. I have never been in a car accident and have never received a traffic ticket. Not even a speeding ticket. When I drive, I keep a safe distance from other vehicles. I figure it is easier to slow down a bit than endure possible physical pain to my body or financial pain to my wallet. It is hard for me to understand why people just do not slow down a bit. When you do, you give yourself time to react.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Ranger View Post
Heres the view thru my windshield... its not any one person or any one thing, but as a collective whole driving civility is gone... in todays me, me, me world with the demands of instant gratification it's, I have to be first, and fastest, cause I have places to be, AND I want to talk on the phone while driving.
This area, especially in the Vill, has so many contractors running up and down the roads to get to the next job, its hard to keep out of their way. and this notion of just slow down... that's not going to work either, society just doesn't march to the same drumbeat. Now think back to your younger yrs... your teens... how many cars per family? 1 more than likely... today probably 4 (plus the toys)... do the math..
I was fortunate to have spent some time living in Texas, where signs all over the place reminded everyone to "Drive Friendly" Thats all it is... if some wants to go fast, let em, no signals, you just keep and eye out. riding right on your tail..slide over. You keep you safe! The rest will sort itself out. and when all else fails... Invest in a dash cam... works wonders in court.
About 13 years ago I spent a couple months in Maryland, staying in Howard County. The library there was giving away bumper stickers that read “CHOOSE CIVILITY”. I noticed these seemed to have a good effect on the traffic when on the Washington Beltway. Now we see rude messages about one thing or political person or another, and traffic just is not civil around here much of the time.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Simple solution. The vehicle in the roundabout always has right of way over the vehicle not in the roundabout. The vehicle ahead in the roundabout always has right of way over the vehicle behind, so NEVER OVERTAKE OR PASS IN A ROUNDABOUT!!! Then there will be no accidents in roundabouts, and peace will rule the planet and love will steer the stars.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,555 Posts

Just a reminder. At every entrance to a traffic circle, there is a yellow sign recommending that everyone should slow to 20 MPH. If we all do what dept of transportation recommends, avoiding accidents will be easy.

No hurry, no worry!😉
Old 01-27-2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Don’t forget now, this is a retirement community full of elderly people that you chose to move to. Driving abilities become less & less. If you don’t have issues now, you soon will too. Just saying. Drive extra cautious
I am one of those elderly people. It is not a problem of elderly people driving. The people I see in the cars that are almost causing accidents are probably under 60. The average age of Villagers is now 63–down from 73. SO what does that say?
Old 01-27-2024, 10:04 PM

Would that be dead right or dead wrong?
Old 01-28-2024, 03:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,154 Times in 577 Posts
Default Differing circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Just a reminder. At every entrance to a traffic circle, there is a yellow sign recommending that everyone should slow to 20 MPH. If we all do what dept of transportation recommends, avoiding accidents will be easy.

No hurry, no worry!
Agreed.

There are a few out there that don’t bother to read the road signs before a roundabout which does differ from a circle. Different signage distinguishes what the lanes can be used for. Also there are lines painted on the ground that can be different from the last roundabout you drove in. There can be single lane mergence also in a roundabout. I think there are 4:different rule sets I’ve seen here in the Villages. If you are turning, be in the right lane, going through, stay in the left. Cars are permitted to turn left from the left if there is a solid line at the turn because the right lane cannot continue in the roundabout if there is a solid line painted.

Watch out for Jokers who think one set of rules covers every roundabout. If you don’t like them move to Lake County, they don’t like them either.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Normal; 01-28-2024 at 06:02 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, time, driver, turnaround, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.