Credit card hacked

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmstetson View Post
Very sad to see these comments. Our account was hacked too, by a restaurant here in TV. We use cash now.
Would be nice if you told which restaurant.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmstetson View Post
Very sad to see these comments. Our account was hacked too, by a restaurant here in TV. We use cash now.
How can you be sure that it was at the restaurant??
There are many ways to hack and there is often a long time between the hack and the illegal transaction.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
How can you be sure that it was at the restaurant??
There are many ways to hack and there is often a long time between the hack and the illegal transaction.
You make a good point, Challenger. Many people blame the last place they used their cc, but it is usually someone hacking offsite, not stealing the card number in a restaurant or store.

Our cc company is very good at detecting and/or immediately refunding fraud cases. There are so many protections you can set up online too. I know immediately via email when a charge is posted to our cc. We travel a lot and could never rely on cash only. We would be shut down without a cc. Maybe eventually they will invent a smart phone with a battery life we can trust, and then we will go to paying that way. But not yet.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
You make a good point, Challenger. Many people blame the last place they used their cc, but it is usually someone hacking offsite, not stealing the card number in a restaurant or store.

Our cc company is very good at detecting and/or immediately refunding fraud cases. There are so many protections you can set up online too. I know immediately via email when a charge is posted to our cc. We travel a lot and could never rely on cash only. We would be shut down without a cc. Maybe eventually they will invent a smart phone with a battery life we can trust, and then we will go to paying that way. But not yet.
I check my cc accounts on line every morning and often during the day. I can go to Publiz and prior to arriving home the transaction appears on line.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:22 PM

I use Applepay and have setup my AMEX card on my iPhone 6. If I swipe my AMEX card in a store where Applepay is not taken I receive an update from AMEX of the amount by the time I've left the store.
If my card was swiped twice I see 2 transactions.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:47 AM

We had our Chase Visa card hacked while on vacation in New Orleans a couple of years ago. We also suspect a restaurant employee at a place on Bourbon Street. That was the last time we used the card until 36 hours later when we stopped for gas at a gas station in Mississippi on our way home and the card was declined at the pump. In the 36 hour period the card had been used to charge over $3,000 worth of purchases at Toys 'R' Us, Target, Walmart, etc. (it was just before Christmas). Chase Fraud Dept. was wonderful and we had a new card overnighted to us by the end of the next day. Try to sign up for cell phone and/or email text alerts by your credit card provider.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.