Crime deterrent?

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The latest article on the villages news site says there were 8 break-ins, according to the Sumter County Sheriff. Why would they lie if there have been many more as indicated by another poster on TOTV?
The News site has been very good about reporting accurate information.
I don't know why they would lie... Actually... omit. I wish I did. If you will recall, the original story didn't list all the break ins either. The second story listed more. Why didn't the first story list them? Even the second story didn't list all the break ins that we KNOW about in Sanibel.

But that being said... Your comment, and it's a valid one, is exactly the reason why a thread on TOTV wouldn't work. Why should you believe Me???

We need a police blotter. Something that lists EVERYTHING... Trust me... there is more.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
Up here in Swimdawg North, we have something called "Nextdoor" which is a website which notifies us of what's going on in our town and neighborhood. This morning, I received something from Nextdoor where the Sheriff gave updates of crimes in our town. I wonder if it could be utilized in TV? We, the people who have signed up for this free service, get updates from our sheriff on a regular basis thru Nextdoor.

Here are parts of the Nextdoor website that I thought may be of interest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is Nextdoor?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note: Nextdoor Forest Lake is a private website created by you and your neighbors, and supported by our company, Nextdoor, Inc. Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community.
Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home.

People are using Nextdoor to:
Quickly get the word out about a break-in
Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group

Nextdoors mission is to use the power of technology to build stronger and safer neighborhoods.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just an idea. The more heads we can put together to continue to make our community safe and sound, the better! When there is an update, like there was this morning from our sheriff, I get notified via email.

Is this it?
https://nextdoor.com/
Old 01-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Nextdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Yes, Gracie, that's it.

I receive regular updates from our sheriff in Niagara County. It's very informative.

(My name is Karen)
Old 01-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
I don't know why they would lie... Actually... omit. I wish I did. If you will recall, the original story didn't list all the break ins either. The second story listed more. Why didn't the first story list them? Even the second story didn't list all the break ins that we KNOW about in Sanibel.

But that being said... Your comment, and it's a valid one, is exactly the reason why a thread on TOTV wouldn't work. Why should you believe Me???

We need a police blotter. Something that lists EVERYTHING... Trust me... there is more.
Agree, Angie.

(My name is Karen)
Old 01-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
I for one would love that idea, except many of us know there have been more break ins than have been reported even in the paper. In the past, no one has believed us... It wasn't until the paper finally posted the break ins, that people would believe what we were saying. So a thread without the the back up would do no good.

We also had something posted in our paper, up north, for every police call made in our city. We were always kept informed of everything that happened. This isn't the case here. We need something credible that everyone can subscribe to and people will believe.

Forewarned is forearmed.
Hi angiefox: Your observation is correct. However, I envision such discussion with the sheriff's department and TOTV to bridge/manage those concerns. we don't know what we don't know until we explore various channels. I for one would never begin a project with the thought that it couldn't get done...but again your concern is a good one and should be underscored when addressing the aforementioned officials.

As to the post concerning the how's and why's of burglars while it is helpful I long ago found it was more advantageous to start out with the thought that such people do bad things for a reason or no reason and that they have the ability to explore so many ways of doing things BECAUSE their mindset is different than ours.. that's why it is said that it takes a crook to catch a cook, or a liar or....... My other thought is that many are mainly driven by necessity and the risks of kicking down a door is over ridden by their will to meet their desires

Mike Tyson was quoted as saying he and his friends knew that the stores knew there were going to steal and the kick out of doing it was because they wanted to outsmart the stores who knew they were trying to outsmart them.

I would guess those reading this post would not likely risk going to jail but for that guy kicking down the door jail may be heaven for him or at least not hell
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hi angiefox: Your observation is correct. However, I envision such discussion with the sheriff's department and TOTV to bridge/manage those concerns. we don't know what we don't know until we explore various channels. I for one would never begin a project with the thought that it couldn't get done...but again your concern is a good one and should be underscored when addressing the aforementioned officials.

As to the post concerning the how's and why's of burglars while it is helpful I long ago found it was more advantageous to start out with the thought that such people do bad things for a reason or no reason and that they have the ability to explore so many ways of doing things BECAUSE their mindset is different than ours.. that's why it is said that it takes a crook to catch a cook, or a liar or....... My other thought is that many are mainly driven by necessity and the risks of kicking down a door is over ridden by their will to meet their desires

Mike Tyson was quoted as saying he and his friends knew that the stores knew there were going to steal and the kick out of doing it was because they wanted to outsmart the stores who knew they were trying to outsmart them.

I would guess those reading this post would not likely risk going to jail but for that guy kicking down the door jail may be heaven for him or at least not hell
You are absolutely correct! I should not have discounted it before trying to implement it first.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
You are absolutely correct! I should not have discounted it before trying to implement it first.
angiefox: posters all are in the formation phase of this discussion your comments while not only be correct invite further discovery and input and to my way of thinking that is what it is all about ...community

Stay warm.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You should share your idea with the Sheriff's Department.
I have been in contact with TOTV Admin and Sheriff's Department. I've been referred to Lieutenant Chris Hayworth who is in charge of Crime Investigation in Sumter County. I have spoken to him and will meet with him on Monday morn. Updates to follow........

(My name is Karen)
Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Sage
Default Victim Witness Counselor

My husband has contacted the Victim Witness Counselor for Lake Sumter Sheriff's office to see if she would be interested in coming into the meeting. She has been working with him on the incident. that happened at the Colony Plaza Gas Station. We are waiting for her reply. At this late date, it could depend on her schedule.

Thanks for setting this up Karen!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
Yes, Gracie, that's it.

I receive regular updates from our sheriff in Niagara County. It's very informative.
Looks like Nextdoor is already available for The Villages. Anyone can go in and set it up and e-mail everyone to join.Each person has to sign up their individual address. It seems like it would be a big project to set up with 100,000 Villagers but it seems like it would work great once you are signed up. Keep us updated on what the sheriff's dept tells you. Great idea !
Old 01-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

A similiar system is already in place in Sumter County "Code Red Alert"
https://cne.coderedweb.com/Default.a...D%2F%2BA%3D%3D

Code Red Weather Warning

Please take a moment to fill in the appropriate information on the electonic form provided on the Code Red Website Once enrolled, you will be notified by your local emergency response team in the event of emergency situations or critical community alerts. Examples include: evacuation notices, bio-terrorism alerts, boil water notices, and missing child reports. This information will remain the property of ECN and will not be disclosed unless compelled to do so by a court of sufficient jurisdiction.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:24 AM
Veteran member
Default Crime deterrent

I was so happy to read the "Simple safety steps" on the front page of TV Daily Sun this morning. I thought the safety tips were excellent. A synopsis:
  1. Use a window clamp to secure windows
  2. Install secondary locks on doors
  3. Secure your sliding glass door
  4. Set up outside lighting
  5. Install additional light switches

It was also wonderful hear that the burglary suspect was arrested. Thank you Sumter County Sheriff Office detectives. Great work!

(My name is Karen)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.