Crime deterrent?

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Crime deterrent?

Up here in Swimdawg North, we have something called "Nextdoor" which is a website which notifies us of what's going on in our town and neighborhood. This morning, I received something from Nextdoor where the Sheriff gave updates of crimes in our town. I wonder if it could be utilized in TV? We, the people who have signed up for this free service, get updates from our sheriff on a regular basis thru Nextdoor.

Here are parts of the Nextdoor website that I thought may be of interest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is Nextdoor?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note: Nextdoor Forest Lake is a private website created by you and your neighbors, and supported by our company, Nextdoor, Inc. Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community.
Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home.

People are using Nextdoor to:
Quickly get the word out about a break-in
Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group

Nextdoors mission is to use the power of technology to build stronger and safer neighborhoods.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just an idea. The more heads we can put together to continue to make our community safe and sound, the better! When there is an update, like there was this morning from our sheriff, I get notified via email.

(My name is Karen)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

You should share your idea with the Sheriff's Department.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You should share your idea with the Sheriff's Department.
Great idea, Bogie. See what I mean about putting our heads together?

I did try calling the Sheriff this morning but they won't be in until Monday for NON-emergencies.

I will be in town next week and I will personally go there and show them the website on my iPad/iPhone. Can't hurt.......might help.

(My name is Karen)
Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
Great idea, Bogie. See what I mean about putting our heads together?

I did try calling the Sheriff this morning but they won't be in until Monday for NON-emergencies.

I will be in town next week and I will personally go there and show them the website on my iPad/iPhone. Can't hurt.......might help.
Hey... Count me in! I will go as back up! You know I always have your back!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran member
Default Meeting at sheriff's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
Hey... Count me in! I will go as back up! You know I always have your back!
Thank you, Angie. I appreciate it.

I am looking at going to the sheriff's office on Monday morning,
January 13th around 9 AM. Anyone who would be willing to join us, please PM me.

Thanks again to OscarOlden et al for "waking us up".

(My name is Karen)
Old 01-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Swimdawg very good suggestion. Perhaps the simplest way is to have TOTV add a thread devoted entirely to this agenda rather than re-inventing the wheel. When you stop by the police department you may want to make this an alternate suggestion....of course after you e-mail TOTV to get their viewpoints, etc
Old 01-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran member
Default Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Swimdawg very good suggestion. Perhaps the simplest way is to have TOTV add a thread devoted entirely to this agenda rather than re-inventing the wheel. When you stop by the police department you may want to make this an alternate suggestion....of course after you e-mail TOTV to get their viewpoints, etc
Rubicon, What a great suggestion!

And I will ask TOTV Admin what they think.

Thanks again.

Karen

(My name is Karen)
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Why do I think that such participation by the sheriff will be considered 'in poor taste' and counter-productive to the goals of the developer?

Would it satisfy the needs of totv readers/posters if the sheriff was to allow a specific person [or several people] from totv to go to the office and compile a "police blotter" which they could in turn post here on totv? of course, totv will need to cover all three counties in order to be complete in its reporting.

Or perhaps someone from totv would want to contact mehta minton and see if they can assist her staff in assembling a "police blotter" column for her publication?

It seems to me that there are other ways to accomplish gathering and publicizing news of attacks on our neighbors and/or their property than putting the onus on the police to report it to us. And maybe I am incorrect.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

I for one would love that idea, except many of us know there have been more break ins than have been reported even in the paper. In the past, no one has believed us... It wasn't until the paper finally posted the break ins, that people would believe what we were saying. So a thread without the the back up would do no good.

We also had something posted in our paper, up north, for every police call made in our city. We were always kept informed of everything that happened. This isn't the case here. We need something credible that everyone can subscribe to and people will believe.

Forewarned is forearmed.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 AM

I work in a prison and have the opportunity to talk to inmates firsthand concerning burglary. Here's what I am told - Some people have alarms and video surveillance and they advertise with signs/stickers in their windows. This is not a deterrent, but more of a challenge for a burglar, as they now know what type of system they are dealing with. So it's best, if you are using ADT system, to advertise Brinks or some other company.

Most of them go for the smash and grab, smashing doors & windows to get in, hitting the bedrooms/dining room for small items - guns, jewelry, etc. These items are easily fenced. The days of them taking the big screen TV's and VCR's are gone. They also know they have 30-45 seconds before an alarm is activated. According to them, this is more than ample time to ransack a few rooms and get out well before Police are dispatched for the alarm. Most burglars know your daily routine and prefer to hit when no one is home.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Ron1Z -
Did those inmates ever share with you what sort of thing kept them from not attempting to enter a home?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:52 AM

Yes they have. An occupied home (homeowner may have a loaded gun) and large dogs. These are young kids 18 to 25 usually with drug additions. I forgot to mention that they are also looking for prescription medication.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

and was there any discussion about why a burglar would choose to enter a house at a time when they KNOW the occupants are inside....asleep.

I can back into all the scenarios about why burglars enter homes when owners are not present.

A much bigger concern should be for the ones who blatantly enter an occupied home. There has to be more to a story when they choose to that. They certainly must have thought about being discovered.....and then what?

Maybe a large display in the entry area of an intruder castration collection?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran member
Default SPOTD Award possibility

[QUOTE=billethkid;805979]and was there any discussion about why a burglar would choose to enter a house at a time when they KNOW the occupants are inside....asleep.

I can back into all the scenarios about why burglars enter homes when owners are not present.

A much bigger concern should be for the ones who blatantly enter an occupied home. There has to be more to a story when they choose to that. They certainly must have thought about being discovered.....and then what?

Maybe a large display in the entry area of an intruder castration collection?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You may be in the running for the Swimdawg Post of the Day Award!!!!

(My name is Karen)
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

The latest article on the villages news site says there were 8 break-ins, according to the Sumter County Sheriff. Why would they lie if there have been many more as indicated by another poster on TOTV?
The News site has been very good about reporting accurate information.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.